Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th December 2022, 01:04   #1
BHPian

German on roids : Skoda Octavia is now Wolf’d & Ceramic Coated

Hey, I hope you’re all doing great. This week has been a rollacoaster ride for me. Had two incidents which happened outta nowhere and was amongst those things that I wanted to do at the earliest, that too both got done in the same day. So first let me get to my favourite and the best part, the remap.

Just in case you missed my previous thread: I own an 2020 Octavia 2.0 TDI DSG.

This was a step, which needed a lot of thinking as I was already running on remap. The car was running on a Stage1 ECU remap from TuneOTronics. As I mentioned in my previous thread the map was good, but it always made me feel that something was missing, and always felt like I wanted more power, punch from the map, as I knew the car was capable of much more. I drove a lot of tuned 2.0 TDIs and felt they performed better. The map was too linear and felt like stock, although it was definitely faster, it didn’t feel like a proper ‘blast to drive’ because the stock itself was a great powertrain, the low end torque excites you. One day, a friend of mine picked up a 2016 Wolf’d Jetta DSG from a person he knew, he got a great deal, apparently the car was already tuned by the previous owner in Cochin, and my friend was absolutely delighted to hear it was tuned (Stage1+ ECU). Once he brought the car back to Bangalore I took a small test drive in it, to see if Wolf Performance made a difference from the map my car was running on. That one test drive changed my perspective.

The low end felt so wild, it felt very punchy and aggressive, just dabbing the accelerator in D-mode, it gave me chills and the car just plunged forward with urgency, and it made me fall in love immediately. I was blown away by how the car was pulling relentlessly even in the mid range and top end. I was outta words.

Last edited by dieselhead01 : 15th December 2022 at 01:06.
dieselhead01 is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 15th December 2022, 01:25   #2
BHPian

re: German on roids : Skoda Octavia is now Wolf’d & Ceramic Coated

I would like to thank BHPian @sangam_mm93 for helping me to choose the correct map for my car and also guiding me to do the right thing. I also sat once in his car which was a stage2 Wolf’d Jetta, and it again just increased my level of excitement. It was something else, which cannot be put into words, ‘fast’ and ‘torquey’ was an understatement. The car pulled like a train, right from the low end. Plus the custom muffler on his car was a music to the ears. After getting some real experience on Wolf cars, I had finally come to Coimbatore, where I went for a small spin with my friend who owns a manual Wolf Octavia TDI, and driving both mine and his car b2b, we arrived at a conclusion that my car missed out on a lot. His car just felt much better to drive, much powerful, and had the boost all across the RPM, was aggressive and outright a blast to drive.
So after a few weeks of thinking, I set my mind, and finally decided to go ahead with the Wolf remap, at our very own well renowned Coimbatore Wolf dealer, Garage89. It’s the exact same place where my friend did his remap.

So in a week, I called Garage89 up and told them that I want to get the remap done, and we fixed a date. It was delayed due to something, which I’ll be mentioning below in a while. Mr. Raaj and Mr. Kamal of Garage89 were absolutely amazing, they explained the entire process; erasing existing map, and reflashing the new tune. They were calm and patient, they were willing to listen and understand all my requirements on the remap, and they told me they’ll make sure all my requirements for the map is met. I specifically told them I’d prefer the mid range and top end to be much stronger, and overall power delivery should significantly improve, and the map should be very punchy and aggressive. I asked for a ‘STAGE1+ ECU & STAGE2 TCU’ remap, squeezed out to the max, provided that reliability won’t be affected. And the process took almost 3-4 hours, with all the flashing, real life testing after each step, and any minor changes to be made. The map was finally ready. The car is now Wolf’d, STAGE1+ ECU and STAGE2 TCU.

Now talking about the car being Wolf’d:
There’s only one word I could think of, and that is, ‘UNBELIEVABLE ’. The car was just unbelievable. Another word which kept coming to my mind is ‘TORQUE’. The car was extremely torquey, the kickdown gives me chills. The transformation of the car just after this tune was huge. There was a world of a difference. Right from the low end, it felt so wolf and aggressive. It pushes me back to the seat like a 6 cylinder, and I’m not even exaggerating. It was really punchy right from the low end, and it impressed me and I got chills every single time I drove it. And the car was relentlessly pulling even in the top end like a petrol, doing silly speeds, triple digit speeds like it was nothing. The older tune felt like stock in comparison to the new tune. This was one of the best purchases I’ve ever made, I mean the tune. 0-100 comes up in no time, haven’t used a draggy until now, will post it soon. I’m expecting a flat 7 second to 100 kmph, with a proper launch. I feel it’s easily possible. The launch control after the TCU, is just amazing. The DQ250, is a piece of art. And the kickdown was just out of the world, it gave me chills and there is no exaggeration here. The kickdown in D-mode was insane, it just pulls ahead with all the torque, torque is a word which I’d want to use several times. The car is absolutely TORQUEY. There’s no explanation to how much I loved the tune, I guess you could see from my words and write up that I loved it. Stage2 coming soon is for sure. I can’t wait to see how that one turns out. Until then, I’ll enjoy the tune to the maximum, god bless.
Attached Thumbnails
German on roids : Skoda Octavia is now Wolf’d & Ceramic Coated-113193c2e484426484ffa73203c44ad2.jpeg  

German on roids : Skoda Octavia is now Wolf’d & Ceramic Coated-7e417a87861743d3bcabe6cb02d74880.jpeg  

Last edited by dieselhead01 : 15th December 2022 at 01:43.
dieselhead01 is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 15th December 2022, 01:57   #3
BHPian

In the middle of all this, I had given my car for a ceramic coating. Being a black car, ceramic coating is a must is what I feel, for our road conditions. Black colour looks the best when maintained properly with at most care. So I finally got it done it at Luxi Auto Care: Modesta, Coimbatore. A couple of friends had got their ceramic coating done at the same place, so I decided to go ahead to give it a shot. The total process took a little more time than expected, but the results were spectacular, and I was beyond impressed by their work. I had gone with their BC-08 package, which included exterior ceramic coating, before which a proper paint correction and detailing was done, and after thorough application of the coating and removal of all the swirl marks, water makes, scratches and imperfections, the end product was, the car looked better than new. Pardon me, these are the only pictures I have, I’m yet to receive the ones that was shot on a DSLR, will post them soon.
Attached Thumbnails
German on roids : Skoda Octavia is now Wolf’d & Ceramic Coated-395ba6c1770e4907a1ca95f0b500e733.jpeg  

German on roids : Skoda Octavia is now Wolf’d & Ceramic Coated-bc8f892b9f73453f998c609b26578d83.jpeg  

German on roids : Skoda Octavia is now Wolf’d & Ceramic Coated-39161bc236f34adb8585fda8e14fa0c1.jpeg  

German on roids : Skoda Octavia is now Wolf’d & Ceramic Coated-6996635f9c7e4d46ac45319e7e9bd667.jpeg  

German on roids : Skoda Octavia is now Wolf’d & Ceramic Coated-27b27e926bea4119a14c90af941d4a09.jpeg  

German on roids : Skoda Octavia is now Wolf’d & Ceramic Coated-0d88c751471a476cb6910d7aac4c312d.jpeg  

Last edited by dieselhead01 : 15th December 2022 at 02:00.
dieselhead01 is offline   (24) Thanks
Old 15th December 2022, 12:15   #4
Senior - BHPian

This is a must-have upgrade from Wolf! They're so meticulous when it comes to making remaps tailored to your requirements. I got mine done for my car and I can my little 1.3 feels so quick on its toes as against the stock 1.3 DDiS. I wonder how it feels with your monstrous TDI! I'm sure Wolf team may have converted your car to a monster with humongous torque!

Your car needs bigger wheels I feel with the level of power it's making right now? Besides, might add some aesthetics to the deadly looking car even more sexier! Black looks Gangster! Enjoy every km you drive
gururajrv is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 17th December 2022, 23:01   #5
BHPian

Great mod , but I doubt that a flat 7 second sprint to 100 kmph would be possible on a stage 1, 4 cylinder tdi. A 530d takes 6 seconds (~ 5.8 with launch control) for the same, so to get the Octavia in the 7s, you would at least need a stage 2.

Last edited by Lowflyer23 : 17th December 2022 at 23:03.
Lowflyer23 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th December 2022, 08:46   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

Congratulations! I'd suggest you dyno it immediately and compare with stock.
itwasntme is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th December 2022, 16:18   #7

Insane mod. I have couple of questions
  1. I also have a 2.0 tdi dsg which has done 80k km. Is it advisable to get a stage 1 tune atleast
  1. Do you have to pay extra premium insurance
Thank you in advance
Old 18th December 2022, 21:12   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Octy View Post
Insane mod. I have couple of questions
  1. I also have a 2.0 tdi dsg which has done 80k km. Is it advisable to get a stage 1 tune atleast
  1. Do you have to pay extra premium insurance
Thank you in advance
1. Depends - Can you afford lower fuel efficiency, somewhat lower reliability but crave for more power - yes
2. No. You don't need to pay insurance. Infact insurance may be voided if you inform them that the car is modified.
vaibhavyagnik is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th December 2022, 07:50   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vaibhavyagnik View Post
1. Depends - Can you afford lower fuel efficiency, somewhat lower reliability but crave for more power - yes
Lower fuel efficiency is a myth. My TDI with stage 1, bigger wheels gives same fuel efficiency as stock. In few of the tunes the fuel efficiency actually goes up. It’s a different thing that once your car is remapped you tend to drive it harder and result in lower efficiency. But otherwise it’s more or less same.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Octy View Post
Insane mod. I have couple of questions[list=1][*]I also have a 2.0 tdi dsg which has done 80k km. Is it advisable to get a stage 1 tune atleast
In my opinion if you don’t remap 2 TDI, you are really missing a lot. That engine is a beast post remap, not that the stock is bad in any form.

Last edited by sunikkat : 19th December 2022 at 07:52.
sunikkat is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th December 2022, 08:09   #10
BHPian

I just saw a comment in a YouTube video, where the person mentions improving throttle response, engine noise and torque without doing an ECU remap. Does anyone know how it can be done?
Attached Thumbnails
German on roids : Skoda Octavia is now Wolf’d & Ceramic Coated-screenshot_20221219_080533_revanced-extended.png  

Old 19th December 2022, 09:31   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoaTMoN View Post
I just saw a comment in a YouTube video, where the person mentions improving throttle response, engine noise and torque without doing an ECU remap. Does anyone know how it can be done?
Some tuners use a piggy back ECU which sits between the sensors/injectors and the Original ECU. The piggy back ECU sends manipulated sensor values to original ECU and the output of Original ECU is manipulated and sent to throttle body and injectors. In this case the original ECU is untouched. All programming is done on the piggy back ECU.
But in this comment case, I feel he has no idea what he is talking about. He has written "I feel" rather than "I have"

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunikkat View Post
Lower fuel efficiency is a myth. My TDI with stage 1, bigger wheels gives same fuel efficiency as stock. In few of the tunes the fuel efficiency actually goes up. It’s a different thing that once your car is remapped you tend to drive it harder and result in lower efficiency. But otherwise it’s more or less same.
If the tune is increasing power through out the rev range of the engine then there is no escaping the lower fuel efficiency. After all, you don't get more power out of thin air! You need to inject more fuel and propotionately more air to produce more power resulting in lesser fuel efficiency.

Last edited by vaibhavyagnik : 19th December 2022 at 09:38.
vaibhavyagnik is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th December 2022, 10:49   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Some tuners use a piggy back ECU which sits between the sensors/injectors and the Original ECU. The piggy back ECU sends manipulated sensor values to original ECU and the output of Original ECU is manipulated and sent to throttle body and injectors. In this case the original ECU is untouched. All programming is done on the piggy back ECU.
Would you recommend such a piggy back ECU? I don't want to touch the stock ECU for any reason. My only requirement with tuning is to increase pickup during overtakes.

Quote:
But in this comment case, I feel he has no idea what he is talking about. He has written "I feel" rather than "I have"
I did notice that he said "I feel", but then he followed it with "I have done it with my Swift D-zire"
Old 19th December 2022, 12:20   #13
BHPian

Quote:
If the tune is increasing power through out the rev range of the engine then there is no escaping the lower fuel efficiency. After all, you don't get more power out of thin air! You need to inject more fuel and propotionately more air to produce more power resulting in lesser fuel efficiency.
Technically, a remap has more to it than just increasing the power. For eg. More air-fuel mixture results in better combustion which in fact increases the volumetric efficiency. Similarly, the torque output also increases post-remap. So, the torque output is more for the same rpm compared to stock. So we will get the required torque at low rpm post remap which in turn reduces the throttle input which results in lower consumption.

Fuel efficiency post-remap depends on the driving style. For eg. in city driving, fuel efficiency increases since we generally do light foot driving. On highways, again, if your throttle input is light and linear, then the fuel efficiency increases. The more aggressive the driving style is the more fuel consumption. On the other side, the lighter your foot is, the more fuel-efficient will be your car. Simple.

A remap is not just to increase the power, torque, or top speed. The most critical factor of a remap is to improve the driveability of a vehicle which does not necessarily mean a reduction in fuel efficiency.

Quote:
Would you recommend such a piggy back ECU? I don't want to touch the stock ECU for any reason. My only requirement with tuning is to increase pickup during overtakes.
I suggest you go for the remap. A remap is the safest way (with the help of the right professionals) to improve the performance of your car.

Last edited by Livnletcarsliv : 19th December 2022 at 12:24.
Livnletcarsliv is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th December 2022, 12:34   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Livnletcarsliv View Post
I suggest you go for the remap. A remap is the safest way (with the help of the right professionals) to improve the performance of your car.
I agree with you, but I am worried about voiding the manufacturer's warranty.
Old 19th December 2022, 12:39   #15
BHPian

Quote:
I agree with you, but I am worried about voiding the manufacturer's warranty.
It's a tricky situation. But there is no grey area, either do it or don't.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks