Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 15th March 2023, 10:48   #31
BHPian

re: Terrible experience tuning my Tata Harrier.

To be honest, you are very lucky to have this replaced under warranty. It's good to see Tata's good gesture on this. Imagine if it were VW, and you had fried it with a third-party tuner. There would be no way they would help you in such a way. You would have to be dragging this issue with the tuner for a long time. Consider yourself lucky. Maybe someone at Tata Motors is getting scolded for not checking if the ECU was touched by a third party and for approving this warranty claim without proper verification. who knows.
raptor_diwan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th March 2023, 10:57   #32
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bil.007 View Post
Tuner connected the OBD II diagnosis tool and said the same errors were still showing in his device. He even accused me of lying that I never visited the service centre in the first place, I mean what even?!?!.
A simple rule my friend. When someone talks to you like this, you walk away. They do not deserve your business.

You cut it really close by the dealer not smoking up your wallet.
sandeepmohan is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 15th March 2023, 11:02   #33
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wbd8779 View Post
Your ECU was fried by a tuner and TAMO changed it under warranty - wow , the title of this thread should ideally be " Great warranty coverage by TATA "
TAMO probably knew it beforehand, and they just wanted to avoid another social media fiasco for the Harrier.
crdi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th March 2023, 11:05   #34
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doonite View Post
I believe there is nothing to be gained from this thread, just a lot of finger pointing with nobody admitting any fault.
We're dealing with 2 unreliable narrators here.

OP gave a fake story in his first post when he mentioned that his car was limping but didn't disclose that he got it tuned. He hid from Tata that he got it tuned and duped them into replacing his ECU under warranty. It's unreasonable for him to be sharing the actual facts this time around either.

RC Tunes guy did the tuning despite all the red flags. Unprofessional in my opinion. Even if they did make a mistake, they are not going to expect it now on an open forum here.

Red flags everywhere. We would likely never know the truth.
nicodash is offline   (59) Thanks
Old 15th March 2023, 11:18   #35

Hello again. Mentioning a few points below to address a few concerns.

1. We have performed the bench tune with the absolute right method or else the car would not have started. None of the pins were bent and nothing was fried. It’s a very normal procedure to bench the EDC17C69
2. Plugging and unplugging the ecu was done with utmost care and precision as routine by us.
3. We do bench almost every other day due to there being a good amount of protocols still not available for OBD tuning. For example EDC17C69 itself has a bench protocol ecu on every tool possible.
4. It is a mystery how the customer got warranty of a tuned ecu. A company will always check no matter what the circumstances. Also, the customer had informed us that he would get the check engine light intermittently before any tuning was done. For everyone who had doubts, those errors were permanent and constant. Not from history or stored. The customer himself went to Tata to rectify but could not.
5. The customer had told us and did confess on our first meeting that the car had immobiliser and third key coded which had caused some issues from Tata themselves.

The customer is now in contact with us and agrees that we were with him through the entirety of it all. We have recorded conversations as well. More so, VENOM PERFORMANCE INDIA have challenged and asked any tuner or customer in India to contact us or him for the master file to check if there is anything wrong with the tune.

We are resting our case here. This was just an unwarranted defaming measure taken by the customer.
Rohanf12 is offline   (59) Thanks
Old 15th March 2023, 11:26   #36
BHPian

That is why one should be ready for all risks for remaps and go with trusted tuners like quantum, wolf and etuners. Also look at 3 or 4 cars of the same model and make that have been modified by the tuner.
hondatoyotafan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th March 2023, 11:29   #37
BHPian

You guys are just making this worse. None of your "explanations" cover why the car went into limp mode after the bench tune was done where as it was working when it was brought to you shop.

Also OP is very very lucky that Tata covered it on warranty, ideally this is something he would be paying for to fix.

Anyway I hope both parties have learnt their lessons.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rohanf12 View Post
The customer is now in contact with us and agrees that we were with him through the entirety of it all. We have recorded conversations as well. More so, VENOM PERFORMANCE INDIA have challenged and asked any tuner or customer in India to contact us or him for the master file to check if there is anything wrong with the tune.
Bhodrolok is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 15th March 2023, 12:15   #38
BHPian

My few cents as follows

1. Harrier (Most likely Safari as well) cannot be tuned through OBD port. It can only be done through direct ECU connection (ECU removal is not necessary though).

2. There are 2 possible cases here with respect to the error codes at the first instance. One - OP already tried to remap elsewhere/DIY or OP did some other accessories fitment/modifications which needed ECU access. Two - The ECU was at fault already or it was a defective car with quality issues (which I highly doubt because the car was running perfectly fine for 6500kms).

3. Neither the OP nor the tuner was professional here. I am not sure what the OP was expecting after so much of error codes at the first time. The tuner was highly unprofessional here because he should not have taken it at all after so many error codes.

4. Here the tuner's responsibility is way more than the OPs. As a tuner, he should/must the pros and cons of tuning a bad ECU/car. What if the OP was in some serious trouble (like airbag fault, or power steering control not working or something else) after this remap? As a layman, I only want a more fun to drive car or more faster car. But only tuners (as experts in the field) know what, how, why, when and where. This is absolutely unacceptable from the tuners side if he/she was a professional.

5. ECU firing is not a simple thing. I am not sure how can the ECU fire without even tampering/accessing the ECU at the first place. Tata as a brand is definitely unreliable but that does not mean they compromise on the basics like brakes, steering, airbags, ECU, etc. This ECU firing is 100% due to external access - which only the OP (or) the Tuner know.

6. Tata replacing the ECU under warranty is a huge one-of-a-kind deal for the OP. The OP should have learnt a hard lesson by now. While I say that, 99% of the OE dealers (all brands) in India does not have the tools at the dealership level to detect the remap/tuning. So it is no wonder why Tata did not suspect.

Now this post looks like a pure blame game with no-one taking responsibility. There are faults on both sides with the Tuner being master faulter.

Dear Mods, since there are hidden secrets and unconvincing narratives on both sides, giving the heading (blaming) only the Tuner is not correct IMO. Please change the heading appropriately.

Last edited by Livnletcarsliv : 15th March 2023 at 12:19.
Livnletcarsliv is offline   (20) Thanks
Old 15th March 2023, 12:20   #39
BHPian

Notwithstanding the gaps in the OPs post. The "clarifications" from the tuner don't explain how a working car ended up in limp mode. If the tuner was hesitant about the initial condition of the vehicle then why did they go ahead.

The OP looks to have pulled a fast one on Tata and got bailed out of his mess - the bill of which will likely be borne by the vendor who supplied the ECU to Tata and will be debited the warranty cost.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rohanf12 View Post

We are resting our case here. This was just an unwarranted defaming measure taken by the customer.
This one statement sums up just how unprofessional this tuner is - threats of recorded conversations while still not answering the main question.
VellVector is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 15th March 2023, 12:26   #40
Senior - BHPian

Glad that Tata replaced your ECU on warranty.

2 things, personally I wouldn’t have done in this case - i) getting the car tuned from lesser known tuners (I might be wrong here, but have never heard of them); ii) when the tuner himself is not confident, still getting it done from there.
Old 15th March 2023, 12:35   #41
BHPian

Re: Terrible experience tuning my Tata Harrier from RC Tunes, Kolkata

Quote:
Originally Posted by VellVector View Post
Notwithstanding the gaps in the OPs post. The "clarifications" from the tuner don't explain how a working car ended up in limp mode.
Not taking anyone's side, but something doesn't add up, there's something more than meets the eye.
Looking at OP's post in the other thread - where he's mentioned that the car went into limp mode after just battery connect/disconnect:
Quote:
All I did was reconnect the battery the previous night after which I faced the problem.
Then he opens this thread - accusing the tuner. We don't know when the car when the car went into limp mode - was it after the tune or before (I'm sure the tuner would have found out, but still the speculation)?

But let's assume it was working fine before the tune - then anyone can guess where the problem started.

By the way, it's interesting to know why OP wanted to go for the tune on a ~6000KM run vehicle (I'm presuming it's less than a year old)?
pkulkarni.2106 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th March 2023, 12:51   #42
BHPian

Re: Terrible experience tuning my Tata Harrier.

If someone now says that Tata Service is Hit or Miss, I will simply point to this blog.
This is not hit or miss but Oscar Level Naatu Naatu hit.

Tuner Center screws the ECU and TML replaces in warranty.

Never heard this with any automotive manufacturer till date.
This is beyond words that in the era where people are afraid to install a dash cam or a rear sensor by cutting the wires in the fear of losing warranty, TML has gone beyond evert possibility to replace it under warranty.
Altrozed is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 15th March 2023, 13:28   #43
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Altrozed View Post
If someone now says that Tata Service is Hit or Miss, I will simply point to this blog.
This is not hit or miss but Oscar Level Naatu Naatu hit.

Tuner Center screws the ECU and TML replaces in warranty.

Never heard this with any automotive manufacturer till date.
This is beyond words that in the era where people are afraid to install a dash cam or a rear sensor by cutting the wires in the fear of losing warranty, TML has gone beyond evert possibility to replace it under warranty.
Well I do not say here that Tata did not detect the 3rd party interference here. But as a Tata customer what I can say is Tata is very proactive with warranty and quality of service and goes beyond expectation in honouring a warranty, goodwill or repair. The problem lies that many workshops are manned by employees who are of the old mindset and this is where trouble comes up for us as customers. New Tata workshops and employees sourced from other brands are working very well for Tata and customers. This information is directly from the GM of a Tata chain of ASC.

Also there is a perception already setup about brands during the last decade. Japanese are cheap to own, Germans are unreliable and costly and Indian brands are off quality. But real situation now a days is different and it will take time for perceptions to change
steadfast is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th March 2023, 13:58   #44
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbhiJ View Post
You willingly paid someone to modify/mess up your ECU and then got it replaced under warranty? Isn't this illegal / morally incorrect? And now you are admitting your act of fraud on the internet?.
Every single person anywhere in the world would have happily allowed the company to fix the vehicle. If the company is willing to honour the warranty, why should a customer go out of his way to disclose negative information? You pay a considerable amount of money to buy a new vehicle. Certain support from the company for repair is included with it. Most of the time, we have to fight with the company to get the vehicle fixed. So why begrudge an instance where the person got lucky?
Lobogris is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 15th March 2023, 14:04   #45
Senior - BHPian

I like the fact that OP was courageous to tune a TATA car. I am even more impressed by Tata dealership to replace the ECU under warranty. That's very unexpected from Tata.

I request OP to share the name of dealership. Should help a lot of WB folks.
07CR is offline   (3) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks