Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th August 2007, 21:05   #1
Distinguished - BHPian

DuPont Sontara car wipes

I would like to share my experience of using Sontara car wipes made by DuPont. Those of you familiar with DuPont (miracles of science) would know that they don't make cheap Chinese stuff.

I actually went to this dealer to buy a Tyvek car cover and this guy asks me to try these Sontara car wipes. You guys must have heard of chamois leather, microfiber towels and stuff. This Sontara stuff is a magnitude more high-tech than these. DuPont Nonwovens These are used in semiconductor, health care, etc. industries.

You get a pack of 10 wipes of about 1'X1' size for 150 bucks. I stitched 4 wipes together to make it 2'X2' size (so 60 bucks) and I use it exactly like a cloth towel.

I got 3M car detailing done by Sundaram motors Bangalore. Apart from giving a good gloss, I noticed this protection layer doesn't allow big dust particles to stick to the surface. I only find fine dust one the car.

So now I just throw water on the car, do a wet wipe panel by panel in straight line strokes, rinsing the towel as often as I can. Then I squeeze the towel dry and do a dry-wipe in the same fashion squeezing towel every once in awhile. It leaves no lint and cleans dust like a charm. At the end I use the moist towel to wipe the interior plastics,etc. I wash 2-3 times a week and it has been a very nice experience.

Bottom line: It leaves no lint so suitable for external and internal surfaces. It makes no scratches (really) for fine dust. It absorbs lots of water. A gentle squeeze makes it 99% dry.

You can get these wipes in Bangalore from:
:: VANI PRIVATE LIMITED ::
Old 8th August 2007, 09:53   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

btw, don't let car-wash-wallahs to wash ur car. it is better than not washing i think. they usually wash 5-10 cars in an hour and they leave enormous amount of swirl marks and fine scratches on the surface. they simply ignore ur instructions.
Old 8th August 2007, 10:04   #3
BHPian

Thank you for sharing your experience.

Hellcat
Old 8th August 2007, 14:28   #4
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Looks pretty sweet; thanks for sharing the review. Have sent my driver to pick a pack of Sontaras.

Quote:
btw, don't let car-wash-wallahs to wash ur car. it is better than not washing i think. they usually wash 5-10 cars in an hour and they leave enormous amount of swirl marks and fine scratches on the surface. they simply ignore ur instructions.
Not really. A little bit of "chai-pani" goes a long way in better treatment for your car.
Old 8th August 2007, 15:35   #5
Senior - BHPian

I agree with Androdev that the treatment given by Car wash boys on the cars are terrible. You can't blame them though. They have to wash 5 cars in a span of 90 min every day.
Old 8th August 2007, 16:15   #6
Senior - BHPian

[quote=GTO;525635]Looks pretty sweet; thanks for sharing the review. Have sent my driver to pick a pack of Sontaras.

Where in Mumbai are they available GTO? South Mumbai? and are they also in bigger sizes?
Old 27th August 2007, 11:25   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

Update

Some update after few weeks of usage:
The DuPont wipes I mentioned in the first post are very effective but they don't last for more than 4-6 washes. So I started looking at alternatives and I found the 3M car cleaning cloth (it is actually a microfiber cloth) to be a cost effective alternative to the DuPont wipes. This cloth costs Rs 99 and is very durable. Not as magical as DuPont wipe, but much better than other alternatives.

Those of you in Bangalore: You can get most of 3M car cleaning accessories from Metro Cash and Carry (atleast the yeshwantpur one)

From Microfiber - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Microfiber is also widely used by car detailers to handle such tasks as removing wax, quick detailing, cleaning interior, cleaning glass, as well as drying. Due to its fine fibers which leave no lint or dust, microfiber towels are a popular choice for avid car detailers and enthusiasts. Chamois leather
is also used.
Old 27th August 2007, 11:43   #8
Team-BHP Support

Check out artificial chamois from Sonax. I find it good. You can pick this up from any shop selling Sonax products. CAR KEMP in Mission road is one for sure.
Old 27th August 2007, 11:57   #9
Distinguished - BHPian

Thank you. Will check it out. Can it be used for washing and drying? Will it cost less than rs100/month on average? Say it should last for 5 months if it costs rs500.
Old 27th August 2007, 12:19   #10
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by androdev View Post
Say it should last for 5 months if it costs rs500.
It costs around 450/- odd. May be little less also but I don't really remember.

Follow their instruction and it will last for more than a year. Mine is now 8 months old. After use storage is critical for this product.
Old 27th August 2007, 12:24   #11
Senior - BHPian

Thats a lot of effort you put in washing your car and that too 2-3 times in a week , do you actually enjoy driving out since the fear of dust will creep you out .

I have earlier known people who used a paintbrush to brushout the dust from wheel rims and inside and another one who never used to take his car on an unpaved road and parked way away for fear of a small stones hitting the underbelly.

Quote:

So now I just throw water on the car, do a wet wipe panel by panel in straight line strokes, rinsing the towel as often as I can. Then I squeeze the towel dry and do a dry-wipe in the same fashion squeezing towel every once in awhile. It leaves no lint and cleans dust like a charm. At the end I use the moist towel to wipe the interior plastics,etc. I wash 2-3 times a week and it has been a very nice experience.

Last edited by dadu : 27th August 2007 at 12:26.
Old 27th August 2007, 13:40   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Those of you in Bangalore: You can get most of 3M car cleaning accessories from Metro Cash and Carry (atleast the yeshwantpur one)
Can the general public couldnt purchase from Metro? I was under the impression that it was given licence to sell to retailers only.

Cheers
Old 27th August 2007, 14:04   #13
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudra Sen View Post
Check out artificial chamois from Sonax. I find it good. You can pick this up from any shop selling Sonax products. CAR KEMP in Mission road is one for sure.

Rudra,

If I go down the flyover will this shop come up on the left or right? What after wash care are you referring to?
Old 27th August 2007, 14:05   #14
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajayclicks View Post
Can the general public couldnt purchase from Metro? I was under the impression that it was given licence to sell to retailers only.
You're right but you can go there with someone having licence.
Old 27th August 2007, 15:21   #15
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadu View Post
Thats a lot of effort you put in washing your car and that too 2-3 times in a week , do you actually enjoy driving out since the fear of dust will creep you out .

I have earlier known people who used a paintbrush to brushout the dust from wheel rims and inside and another one who never used to take his car on an unpaved road and parked way away for fear of a small stones hitting the underbelly.
washing is more like a hobby now.. a clean car is more welcoming than a dirty one. but yes, it is all-weather, all-road vehicle. in fact i love driving in heavy rain. just have to clean it and keep it ready for the next abuse.

Last edited by androdev : 27th August 2007 at 15:22.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks