Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th November 2023, 06:40   #1
BHPian

How to change my cars USB-A ports to USB-C?

Hello All,
I have new i20 bought in 2020. It comes with usb-A ports for charging and CarPlay connections. It's loose and connection is lost while going through small rough patches.
New model year update of i20 comes with usb-C ports. I asked Hyundai service centre but they refused to swap. Hyundai accessories website also doesn't have this part. Anyone knows where can I get this part?
Attached Thumbnails
How to change my cars USB-A ports to USB-C?-i20interiorusbportauxpowersocketwirelesscharging-2.jpeg  

Nicky is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 20th November 2023, 19:19   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: How to change my cars USB-A ports to USB-C?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicky View Post
New model year update of i20 comes with usb-C ports. I asked Hyundai service centre but they refused to swap. Hyundai accessories website also doesn't have this part. Anyone knows where can I get this part?
What you are asking for is not an accessory and obviously Hyundai A.S.S won't be entertaining it. Get the part number from them and order online (like, Boodmo)

How to change my cars USB-A ports to USB-C?-screenshot.jpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicky View Post
It's loose and connection is lost while going through small rough patches.
Easy fix, get an adapter like this, Work around the metal surround so that it fits tight
How to change my cars USB-A ports to USB-C?-usb.jpg

Or

if you are not bothered about the warranty, get C type PCB and get it soldered to the OE harness.
How to change my cars USB-A ports to USB-C?-screenshot2.jpg
Mr.Boss is offline   (20) Thanks
Old 21st November 2023, 09:30   #3
BHPian

I would rather suggest you to change the USB cable and check if the issue persists. Quite often, the problem is with the cable and not the port. Also, USBA ports are more robust than type C.
Bhargav7 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st November 2023, 09:47   #4
Team-BHP Support

Your problem is two fold then - the current port is loose, and you prefer a USB-C port instead?

Is the USB-C port on the new i20 a direct fit, in terms of size, placement and wiring? If so, you can try asking Hyundai just for the part, or get the part no. and order on Boodmo.

Given that you got your car in 2020, it may still be in standard/extended warranty? Changing the port can give the ASC an excuse to void warranty.

You can try getting the factory fitted USB-A port replaced under warranty (if applicable, else at your cost), and then use one of these adapters. My car also gets the USB-A ports all around, and since I got the new iPhone with USB-C, I had to get one, and it works perfectly. The phone charges without overheating, and Apple CarPlay works without a hitch.

https://www.amazon.in/AGARO-Adapter-...0539915&sr=8-3
libranof1987 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 22nd November 2023, 18:18   #5
BHPian

One should also keep a good cable permanently in the car attached to the USB slot. Removing it too many times will loosen the port
Burgman_tales is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd November 2023, 20:29   #6
BHPian

This is exact reason I prefer regular 12V sockets than direct USB ports from manufacturer.
coming to carplay and android auto most of the cars now started supporting wireless connectivity.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks