Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th December 2023, 17:21   #1
BHPian

Installing a 2nd / upper glovebox for the 1st-gen Toyota Innova

Recently I discovered that my 2012 innova has some space above the regular glove box which is covered by a plastic trim panel. This made me think if i could somehow use this space as an additional storage.
First I started searching if higher varients / facelifted versions of innova had this feature.
To my surprise, I discovered that non Indian models of innova have a OEM fitted door in this space, but the Indian spec doesnt.
I digged further and found some sort of part drawing which clearly indicates the same.
I am now desparate to incorporate this SE Asian Innova feature in my Indian Innova. Most of the SE Asian e-commerce websites like lazada, shopee have this part in stock. But I am not sure if they deliver to India.
Even if they do,
1. I need advice if its ok to use this space as storage?
2. Is there any technical reason why India didnt get this spec?
(Only thing I can think of is India has more diesel varients and other countries use petrol. Maybe the diesel varient causes some risk if this area is opened. If so why didnt Indian petrol varients get this box?)
3. Is there any risk if I do some jugaad to use this space?

Attaching images for your ref. All images are from the internet as I didnt click any pictures when i had opened my car. I was too excited to discover this hidden storage space.

Below is the Indian Innova IP. Notice a fixed panel above the glove box, between the two A/C registers
Installing a 2nd / upper glovebox for the 1st-gen Toyota Innova-indian-innova.jpg

Below is the Malaysian Innova IP which a huge Upper glove box door and a neat compartment inside. This is not some one-off random image on the internet. All major asian shopping websites have this part in their catalog.
Installing a 2nd / upper glovebox for the 1st-gen Toyota Innova-non-indian-innova.jpg

The IP assy drawing for the Indian spec. Notice the letters "IND" on the box on the left indicating the spec is for India only.
Installing a 2nd / upper glovebox for the 1st-gen Toyota Innova-indian-dwg.png

This is the drawing for the non Indian varients. The overall instrument panel looks same as the Indian varient
Installing a 2nd / upper glovebox for the 1st-gen Toyota Innova-non-indian-dwg.png
shrinz.vivek is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 25th March 2024, 12:55   #2
BHPian

Re: Installing a 2nd / upper glovebox for the 1st-gen Toyota Innova

I finally made some jugaad to use the empty space above the glovebox in my Innova. I tried hard to make a box with a lid similar to the overseas variants but gave up after lot of trial and errors.

Meanwhile, I felt, having an open shelf like space will also serve the purpose equally well because I wanted this space to be used for keeping mobile phones, small snacks packets etc... These things need to be frequently picked up and placed and hence a lid will actually disturb the convinience.

So made some sketches and got a black box made out of acrylic boards (Rs.400)
Then I bought an OE replacement upper golvebox panel (Rs.500)
Bought some wooden finish edge band from a carpentery store along with HeatX adhesive (Rs.100)

I removed the original panel and kept it safe,
Stuck the black box inside the dashboard using 3M industrial adhesive tapes.
Cut open the replacement panel to the exact size of the black box and fit to the dashboard. This was the most difficult part of the whole process. Since the panel is curved, it was impossible to take accurate measurement of the projection of the rectanglular perimeter of the black box on the back of the panel both in size and position. So i cut the panel much smaller than required and went on filing the plastic until i was satisfied.
Inspite of this, there was uneven gaps between the box and the panel which i covered using the PVC edge band stuck using HeatX adhesive.

So for a total of Rs.1000 and hours of crude labor I had my own version of this Upper Glovebox ready. This was used a lot during my recent Rajasthan trip and gave me immense satiafaction.

Installing a 2nd / upper glovebox for the 1st-gen Toyota Innova-upper-console-shelf.jpg
shrinz.vivek is offline   (5) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks