Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st January 2024, 22:58   #1
BHPian

I built a free Dashcam GPS viewer

I recently got a new dashcam, the Viofo A119 Mini 2 for my Compass. It has inbuilt GPS. The coordinates are displayed on the video as well as embedded in the video metadata. I was looking for a video player that would display the video and show the GPS data on a map. I found Dashcam Viewer but it is a paid product and the trial version is limited to loading 2 videos only. And the UI, the UI is clunky and the app looks just plain ugly. I tried searching for other free apps but couldn't find any.

So I decided to build one myself. And I have built CamGeoPlayer. It's still in beta. I have only tested it with the videos from my Viofo. Need to test with sample footage from other dashcams.

I built a free Dashcam GPS viewer-camgeoplayer1.png

It's a simple Windows application. You can load multiple videos in the queue and it will play them one by one and show the GPS data on a map along with a moving marker that moves along with the video. Entire journey is plotted as a route on the map.

It is built using .Net and utilises open source tools like Exiftool for extracting GPS data from videos, Leaflet and OpenStreetMap for maps.

You can download it from here and give it a try. There is no installer, just download the zip file (119 MB), extract it and run CamGeoPlayer.exe. It requires .Net Framework 4.8 which should be pre-installed in your computer if you have Windows 10 or 11.

This is the first beta release so there will be bugs. If you can share some sample videos with embedded GPS data from your dashcam, action cam or drone then I can test with them and make it better.

It's a free software. I intend to keep it free. Try it out and let me know your thoughts.
yashg is offline   (155) Thanks
Old 23rd January 2024, 09:24   #2
BHPian

Re: I built a free Dashcam GPS viewer

Some hero’s don’t wear capes. You proved that right mister ! Hats off to you very ingenious
mally2 is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 23rd January 2024, 10:30   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by yashg View Post
You can download it from here and give it a try. There is no installer, just download the zip file (119 MB), extract it and run CamGeoPlayer.exe. It requires .Net Framework 4.8 which should be pre-installed in your computer if you have Windows 10 or 11.

This is the first beta release so there will be bugs. If you can share some sample videos with embedded GPS data from your dashcam, action cam or drone then I can test with them and make it better.

It's a free software. I intend to keep it free. Try it out and let me know your thoughts.
You sir are a true hero and a Shout out to you on this community. Love your ingenuity. I would gladly help you out.

I have a Yi Dashcam in one of my cars and 70mai in another. I believe the Yi does not have GPS data perhaps (need to check) but I will try your software with my 70mai and share feedback shortly. One question though. in 70mai, its a front and back camera feed. It will be great if you can introduce a Picture-In-Picture mode to see the rear videos embedded.

I would love to collaborate with you - I am not a handson developer, but had a few ideas and I see you are already leaning towards those. Will DM you later with results.

Great Stuff.
swarnava.ch is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 23rd January 2024, 12:49   #4
BHPian

Great app and thank you for your service. I have a Redtiger Dashcam, which has a Dashcam app for PC too which displays the gps data in a map next to it. I don't know if this will work for you but give this a try. Redtiger Download Link
itspatra is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd January 2024, 14:00   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mally2 View Post
Some hero’s don’t wear capes. You proved that right mister ! Hats off to you very ingenious
Thank you. Programming is my profession and also passion/hobby.

Quote:
Originally Posted by swarnava.ch View Post
You sir are a true hero and a Shout out to you on this community. Love your ingenuity. I would gladly help you out.

I will try your software with my 70mai and share feedback shortly. One question though. in 70mai, its a front and back camera feed. It will be great if you can introduce a Picture-In-Picture mode to see the rear videos embedded.
I'll add that to the todo list of future improvements. If you can share some sample videos from the 70mai both front and back that would be of great help. Then I can see what the naming format is and how the GPS data is embedded.

Quote:
Originally Posted by itspatra View Post
I don't know if this will work for you but give this a try. Redtiger Download Link
I will give it a try. Hopefully it will not ask a serial number of some other purchase verification. Also if you can share some sample videos from your RedTiger it will be great.

Update: RedTiger Player could not (did not) extract GPS data from Viofo video. So probably works only with RedTiger videos. If you can share a RT video, I can make it work with my app.

Last edited by Aditya : 23rd January 2024 at 18:04. Reason: Back to back posts merged
yashg is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd January 2024, 18:25   #6
BHPian

Quote:
I recently got a new dashcam, the Viofo A119 Mini 2 ............... Try it out and let me know your thoughts.
Thanks for this. I tried your app with Viofo footage. works good.

I have a couple of feature suggestions:

1. it would be great to be able to zoom in on a part of video to better visualise the number plates etc.

2. Ability to play in slow motion, like 0.5x or 0.2x.

3. Ability to play both front and rear footage in adjoining windows in case of dual camera setup.

Thanks again. and All the best.
car-dent is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd January 2024, 20:38   #7
BANNED

Great idea for an app! Is the app open source as well? If yes, where can I find the source code?
Old 24th January 2024, 11:26   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by car-dent View Post
1. it would be great to be able to zoom in on a part of video to better visualise the number plates etc.

3. Ability to play both front and rear footage in adjoining windows in case of dual camera setup.
Will see if Zoom can be implemented easily. Adding slow motion is simple, just need to add those options in the drop down. Will add.

I need some sample front and rear dashcam videos so I can see what the naming convention is like. I got RedTiger which uses A and B for front and rear. Will add it once I have some more videos.

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNSC117 View Post
Is the app open source as well? If yes, where can I find the source code?
Haven't open sourced it yet. Once I have tested with a bunch of camera models, might release the code on GitHub.
yashg is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th January 2024, 16:05   #9
Senior - BHPian

This fantastic, @yashg! I'll try it out soon, hats off!!

Last edited by ph03n!x : 24th January 2024 at 16:06.
ph03n!x is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th January 2024, 17:21   #10
BHPian

Hi,

I am planning to buy and install an OBD-2 powered dashcam (leaning towards Nexdigitron A3 Pro car dash camera with OBd-2 parking kit) in my 2017 Honda city ZX CVT facelift and have few queries in this regard:
1) I tried to search under the steering wheel area but could not find the OBD-2 port - can anybody tell me where to find it?
2) Will using the dash camera with the OBD-2 port damage the car electronics or is it safe to use it?

Appreciate members feedback on this.

Regards,

SMSP
SMSP is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th January 2024, 17:41   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by car-dent View Post
I have just released a new version with 0.5X, 0.25X and 0.10X slow options added.

Zoom seems to be a bit tricky. Next up, adding dual cam support.
yashg is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 26th February 2024, 16:30   #12
BHPian

Quote:
I have just released a new version with 0.5X, 0.25X and 0.10X slow options added.

Zoom seems to be a bit tricky. Next up, adding dual cam support.
A good initiative indeed. There are only a handful of such apps and keeping it open for anyone will definitely do good for many. I have a 3 channel dashcam with me - is it possible to embed 3 channels at a time with the main channel (road view) as the big and remaining 2 channels on either sides? I can send you the dashcam files.

Last edited by Goandiaries : 26th February 2024 at 16:31. Reason: Quote
Old 5th March 2024, 20:14   #13

Great job buddy. I will try with my DDpai mola n3 pro.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks