Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th August 2007, 03:55   #1
yuv
BHPian

LPG savings, a MYTH?

Hello All,

I have been contemplating changing over to alternative fuel since a long time now and almost every converter I meet nowadays seems to advocate LPG against CNG... (have yet to figure out why)

But... when I do the math, I just dont see any substantial savings.

Current daily running = 50kms a day.
Current FE = 10kms(avg)
Current daily fuel cost = Rs. 250/- approx

LPG daily running = 50kms
LPG FE = 6-7kms(avg)
LPG fuel cost = Rs. 200/- approx

So after investing 30k(closed loop) for a LPG kit and taking the extra trouble... all I will save is a mere 1500 bucks a month???

My ultimate goal is not to get a fancy new fuel for my car... its the savings which I want!!!.... then why are the converters advocating LPG? Why are so many ppl on this board still converting to LPG?? Where are the savings???

Pardon my ignorance, maybe im missing something here... if so, please tell me.

At this point I feel my only options are stick to petrol or move to CNG...
Old 19th August 2007, 10:23   #2
BHPian

do not do the mistake! and to top it the LPG prices r rising. DDiS is the best option right now.
Old 19th August 2007, 10:40   #3
BHPian

first i think you can start by telling us which car you plan on converting to LPG. secondly if your car gives 10kmpl with petrol its very likely to give 8-9 kms in LPG in a proper state of tune. besides you seem to be eyeing on the closed loop system which further reassures the possibility of reaching 9 kms avg with LPG.

you cant expect to save a fortune on LPG by travelling 50 kms a day.

if i'm right you can expect to bring you petrols bills down by 30% not more.

Last edited by flipsyde : 19th August 2007 at 10:41.
Old 19th August 2007, 10:56   #4
Senior - BHPian

There is more hassles than savings on LPG -

1. LPG bunks are too few in number
2. Once the engine is tuned for LPG it performs poorly on Petrol and Visa versa. If you exhaust your LPG then when running petrol your mileage will drop.
3. LPG kit will have an additional installation and maintenance cost.
4. Drop in engine performance upto 20% is very common due to LPG

These four overheads makes me believe that LPG savings is not that great. Better go for modern Diesels than LPG.
Old 19th August 2007, 11:47   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselFan View Post
4. Drop in engine performance upto 20% is very common due to LPG
agree to the first three.
#4 isnt really true. Not with a good car to start with (enough bhp) and a good sequential injection kit. 20% is more like CNG- but the new closed loop kits have muuuch improved performance in our xeta

even availability isnt really an issue because if there's a pump on his route, that's good enough. all that matters is that it shouldn't have queues
Old 19th August 2007, 12:19   #6
Senior - BHPian

As others has discussed, you cannot save a much on changing to LPG but in the long run, you will feel the savings that has been accumulated. If you save around 1.5K/month, I feel you will be saving around 18K/annum depending on how you drive. I'am not so sure what vehicle you are having but assume it is either a ford ikon/optra/esteem.

Why not consider buying a Diesel car ? There are many Diesel cars available in market which gives good FE.......
Old 19th August 2007, 13:40   #7
BHPian

best possible advice for anyone looking to buy a NEW car and hook it up with LPG ....... be smart and buy a diesel. the kind of technological advancements diesel has been thru the last few years its hard even for some petro heads to shoot diesels down.

good examples - hyundai verna crdi, swift ddis, optra magnum diesel
Old 19th August 2007, 23:11   #8
yuv
BHPian

Thanks All.

Diesel yes, but LPG seems to be out?
Unfortunately not planning to buy a new car atm otherwise I would have gone for the verna or swift diesel.

snaronikar - I will save 18k per annum but what about the increased wear and tear of the engine? My engine life will get reduced by 25% i guess? So that 18k will go in engine repairs... and then the interest on my initial investment.

As per my working... at the end of the day, I will end up with the same expenses.... ie. no savings due to LPG.

I still wonder why ppl are converting to LPG???

Thanks
Old 20th August 2007, 11:16   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by yuv View Post
My engine life will get reduced by 25% i guess? So that 18k will go in engine repairs...
Please provide info on this. Maruti Wagon R LPG has same warranty terms as the petrol. If engine life is reduced by the mentioned percentage, will manufacturers offer identical warranty on duel fuel cars?

I have driven a M800 on kitchen LPG kit for about 80000kms plus, with just regular changes of the plugs, air filter etc.

Wear and tear will be definately more due to the drier nature of LPG, but not 25%.........
Old 20th August 2007, 11:37   #10
Senior - BHPian

Buy a diesel hatch & enjoy the unlimited benefits for 50km a day.
cheers
Old 20th August 2007, 11:41   #11
BHPian

Also consider a drop in power when you switch to LPG and a higher more drop if the AC is turned on.. LPG doesnt do that well on inclines ( consumption is more). Since your in Mumbai the LPG dispensing stations are well scattered but in Pune the lines are too long. Hyundai told me that there would be long term damage to the engine ( there is no way of ascertaining that though) It fairs well against petrol but doesnt stand a chance against Diesel

My two cents based on my experience
Old 20th August 2007, 14:29   #12
yuv
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mail4ajo View Post
Please provide info on this. Maruti Wagon R LPG has same warranty terms as the petrol. If engine life is reduced by the mentioned percentage, will manufacturers offer identical warranty on duel fuel cars?
Good point Ajo. Since when do you have the LPG and how much have you saved every month on an average?

Quote:
I have driven a M800 on kitchen LPG kit for about 80000kms plus, with just regular changes of the plugs, air filter etc.
Wow... now this is where I can see the potential for savings. Unfortunately illegal for us...(not for the many tempo and private taxiwala's).

Quote:
Wear and tear will be definately more due to the drier nature of LPG, but not 25%.........
How much is the increased wear and tear in you opinion... Thanks
Old 20th August 2007, 16:06   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by firingonallfour View Post
Hyundai told me that there would be long term damage to the engine ( there is no way of ascertaining that though) It fairs well against petrol but doesnt stand a chance against Diesel
My two cents based on my experience
Santro is already out with a CNG kit. The damage will be long term. Diesel will certainly win.

Quote:
Originally Posted by esteem_lover View Post
cheers
This is what I am going to do next. My budget didn't allow that when I brought my Alto and DDiS was not around, so had to convert.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yuv View Post
Good point Ajo. Since when do you have the LPG and how much have you saved every month on an average?

How much is the increased wear and tear in you opinion... Thanks
I have been using since last December. I have never checked since I drive on both fuels. But there is a approx saving of 30-40% on fuel cost when we fill up. I have never calculated ROI and other factors.

Damage is high to components like Plugs, Air filters. Long tem engine damage is evident. Buy I wont drive my car for more than 30-40000kms.
Old 21st August 2007, 00:20   #14
yuv
BHPian

Thanks for sharing your experience Ajo.

firingonallfour - I agree, drop in power and no substantial savings is not very appealing... but im not giving up on alternate fuel, therefore most likely I might give CNG a shot..... unless someone makes a strong case(economically speaking) for LPG.

Thanks
Old 21st August 2007, 00:35   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by esteem_lover View Post
cheers
Quote:
This is what I am going to do next. My budget didn't allow that when I brought my Alto and DDiS was not around, so had to convert.
I would never do that ajo. I was being sarcastic in my comment there. I love driving a petrol. For the sake of economy, i use LPG since my drive is anywhere between 10 to 150 Km per day. Whenever i want the feel of the power (only on highways, since it does not make any difference at all in the city), i always use petrol.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks