Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st March 2024, 09:39   #1

Is it possible to retrofit seat memory function in the aftermarket?

Hi Fellow BHPians,

I am one such petrolhead who is constantly bothered to get to my preferred driving position

While most of the time, I ensure that I avoid giving to valets, occasionally it happens and then a nightmare presents itself. I struggle to get back to my favorite position where I constantly think the current position is off as I feel uncomfortable

To overcome this, I keep markers wrt how far the seat is moved back, railing view in the bottom of the seat, headrest alignment with B Pillar, and steering fit in hands (assuming the steering is not adjusted by someone else)

To avoid this, I badly want to retrofit a memory function to the seats.

A few questions I have in this regard are
1. Is this possible without voiding the warranty (Have 1.5 Years of warranty left)
2. Is this even possible? If yes, any contacts in Bangalore / Hyderabad would help

Thanks in advance
Old 2nd March 2024, 09:23   #2
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Is it possible to retrofit seat memory function in the aftermarket?

Not going to be easy or cheap - will require a lot of part sourcing, installation help, electronic wizardry etc. But then, some BHPians have fitted ADAS & adaptive cruise control to their cars, so not impossible. Just won't be easy. Depends on how determined you are.

If I were you and so particular about my driving position, I'd just stop giving my car to the valet. This is a far simpler solution.
GTO is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 2nd March 2024, 09:27   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

Memory driver seat is a godsent feature for someone like me, scenario being all cars are shared between different members of the family. Each member has different height and their own favoured driving positions. Being able to get the seat back right where I like it every time at the press of a button is extremely convenient.

It is something I never knew I missed, until I got my Jeep Compass home. Now, it’s a deal making feature for me.

Last edited by Shreyans_Jain : 2nd March 2024 at 09:28.
Shreyans_Jain is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 5th March 2024, 21:13   #4
Senior - BHPian

Check AliExpress. You would most likely need to replace the entire seat. All the cars available in the sub 30 lakhs bracket don't have memory function, just electric adjustment.
I know this because a similar itch struck me a couple of weeks ago and I did some preliminary research. You get the motors and control system, etc but no guarantee on compatibility with your seat frame plus disassembling tho whole thing would probably ruin it so getting a full aftermarket seat would be the best bet.
The Recaro Orthoped and Ergomed seats most likely have this function. Petes is the dealer for them in India. They are out of my price range but maybe not yours so try contacting them
Mortis is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 20th March 2024, 18:02   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by reddyboi View Post
Hi Fellow BHPians,

I am one such petrolhead who is constantly bothered to get to my preferred driving position

While most of the time, I ensure that I avoid giving to valets, occasionally it happens and then a nightmare presents itself. I struggle to get back to my favorite position where I constantly think the current position is off as I feel uncomfortable

To overcome this, I keep markers wrt how far the seat is moved back, railing view in the bottom of the seat, headrest alignment with B Pillar, and steering fit in hands (assuming the steering is not adjusted by someone else)

To avoid this, I badly want to retrofit a memory function to the seats.

A few questions I have in this regard are
1. Is this possible without voiding the warranty (Have 1.5 Years of warranty left)
2. Is this even possible? If yes, any contacts in Bangalore / Hyderabad would help

Thanks in advance
It depends on the car you have. For example, many of the VW's and Skoda's come with memory seats in the international market. It is then a matter of sourcing the seat and a VCDS code change. If it needs to be custom made then try Autorounders in Hyd. They recently fitted electric memory seats at the rear of a Hycross.

Last edited by Axe77 : 20th March 2024 at 19:15.
blogslogger is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 20th March 2024, 18:34   #6

Quote:
Hi there, your first question is a topic for unending discussion in itself. My personal experience while claiming warranty at Maruti was a headache in Kanpur and like breeze in Noida (claimed warranty for replaced part again after 2-3 months).

You have not mentioned vehicle specifics and even if your vehicle came with the said function from factory, installing it will be serious time and money consuming affair.

If you are bothered by a change in seat position, just take a walk in body shop, not a pleasant sight for for eyes for people like us.

I was in similar dilemma after using auto IRVM for few weeks in my friend's car and my vehicle had this feature in top model. What I did was sat on it for like 2 weeks and almost forgot about it.
Bhuvan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th March 2024, 19:32   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by blogslogger View Post
It depends on the car you have. For example, many of the VW's and Skoda's come with memory seats in the international market. It is then a matter of sourcing the seat and a VCDS code change. If it needs to be custom made then try Autorounders in Hyd. They recently fitted electric memory seats at the rear of a Hycross.
Sorry, missed mentioning, I have a Seltos GTX+
Old 21st March 2024, 09:29   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Sorry, missed mentioning, I have a Seltos GTX+
Seltos sold in Korea has memory seats. But it's LHD. So your best bet would be to contact someone over there and import it. You can also see if sportage seats would fit. This would be better as sportage sold in the UK and Australia has memory seats.
blogslogger is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st March 2024, 11:14   #9
Team-BHP Support

For memory seats are there are a couple of factors. In some cases, seat motors, seat control modules need to be changed, and the requisite memory buttons need to be added, and then some coding too.

For our W222, luckily it was just a matter of adding memory buttons and doing simple coding to enable it. Since it already had the rest of the hardware present in the car. So it beats me why Mercedes skimped on it for the first few years of the W222 production.
Akshay1234 is online now   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks