Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories

Search this Thread
Old 27th November 2007, 09:53   #16
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by doomsday View Post
As I mentioned in the first line of my post, I know pretty much nothing about alternate fuel systems and how they work. Except for the fact that CNG has significantly higher octane rating than petrol. Hence, some suggest a bump in compression for optimal combustion of CNG by the engine.

@phamilyman: Do you need a special Lambda sensor for a CNG system? Coz nowadays every car comes with a Lambda (o2) sensor. Is it because the o2 percentage in CNG emissions can be different from those in traditional fuels, and hence the fuel, ignition timing. AFR etc.has to be altered? This would require an ECU remap also. Is this also bundled with the kit?
Yes.. This is all together a different gadget meant for CNG specifically, which more or less compensates the power loss due to cng usage. However, it is not bundled usually with the CNG kit so as to reduce the overall cost of the Kit which is usally offered in the market.. Though it is always an inclusion of the bundle offered by the Authorsied Service Centers of Car Manufacturers !!
Old 27th November 2007, 09:54   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by doomsday View Post
As I mentioned in the first line of my post, I know pretty much nothing about alternate fuel systems and how they work. Except for the fact that CNG has significantly higher octane rating than petrol. Hence, some suggest a bump in compression for optimal combustion of CNG by the engine.

@phamilyman: Do you need a special Lambda sensor for a CNG system? Coz nowadays every car comes with a Lambda (o2) sensor. Is it because the o2 percentage in CNG emissions can be different from those in traditional fuels, and hence the fuel, ignition timing. AFR etc.has to be altered? This would require an ECU remap also. Is this also bundled with the kit?
Yes.. This is all together a different gadget meant for CNG specifically, which more or less compensates the power loss due to cng usage. However, it is not bundled usually with the CNG kit so as to reduce the overall cost of the Kit which is usually offered in the market.. Though it is always an inclusion of the bundle offered by the Authorsied Service Centers of Car Manufacturers !!
Old 17th December 2007, 23:09   #18
BHPian

Hi - I've become a CNG fan now. My wagon R (purchased on 29 Apr 07) is running on CNG for last three months, and let me tell you - It's going superb. It's running at 90 paise per KM, and without any difference in power output. Even I've crossed 100KMPH on gas on Delhi Mathura highway. And yes, on highways, it takes me 250 KM with a tankful worth Rs.190.... Isn't it amazing!!
Old 18th December 2007, 10:56   #19
BANNED

scorpio118,

how much did u paid for kit ? what brand it is ?
Old 18th December 2007, 22:16   #20
BHPian

It's BRC - original italian Kit with Lambda. But in Mumbai, CNG is available??

Complete kit along with lambda sensor and installation, it was 38000, with 1 year warranty. RC paperwork is not included in this price tag.
Old 25th December 2007, 20:48   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by scorpio118 View Post
Hi - I've become a CNG fan now. My wagon R (purchased on 29 Apr 07) is running on CNG for last three months, and let me tell you - It's going superb. It's running at 90 paise per KM, and without any difference in power output. Even I've crossed 100KMPH on gas on Delhi Mathura highway. And yes, on highways, it takes me 250 KM with a tankful worth Rs.190.... Isn't it amazing!!
It indeed is dear. CNG is very well suited to Japanese cars. I asked the CNG guy for which car to buy so that CNG suits best. He said go for Maruti, then Honda and toyotas. I bought an esteem and recently did a trip to Ludhiana (300kms from delhi) and it took me to that place in only a tank full with 180 Rs gas. Now that is an achievement.

Overall no issues with top speed or pickup or should i say at least i don't feel that.
Old 25th December 2007, 21:08   #22
BHPian

No Lamda sensor is the same O2 Sensor in your Car OEM system. What you need is a Lamda Controller along with Stepper Motor.

It maps the % of O2 in the exhaust emmission and correctly controls the Gas Intake using Stepper regulator.

The savings are tremedous, Normally with my daily running of 38 KM, I would have blown around 3 ltrs of Petrol costing me close to 120 Rupees each day. Now with CNG the cost is 0.99-1.16 paisa per KM. which is around 40 Rupees Avg...Elementary saving equation

New Plugs & Air Filter along with cleaning at every 5000 K interval.

I have driven around 22,000 KM in my XETA on CNG with no perfromance issues, Although the CNG speed maxes out at 120 Kmph, which is at it is tops and safe enough for a Hatch back even though stable and heavy Indica.

Go through the other CNG threads, you will find posts on functioning and dealing with power loss. I'm sure it will help.

Last edited by wolfinstein : 25th December 2007 at 21:11.

Most Viewed