Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th March 2024, 00:03   #1

Dashcam specifically for Parking Mode or Parking Surveillance

This thread is specifically for dashcam pertaining to Parking Mode or Parking Surveillance functionality

In my society, parking is in the ground floor. People/children/delivery personnel/domestic help/housekeeping etc. often walk thorough the space between two cars. Due to this they make scratches on car sides, front or back. Mostly due to carelessness as its not their car in question. Examples include
  • While carrying something, not holding the object carefully, so it hits the car body
  • Carelessly moving hands while walking, causing their wearables like watches, bangles, finger rings to hit or scratch the car body
  • Children sometimes riding their bikes between the cars
  • Children sometimes playing in the parking area
  • Pets, specially dogs scratching cars
  • Car washers/garbage collectors carrying their buckets carelessly between the cars

Its painful and agonizing to come out fresh in the morning to drive your car and see scratch(es). This has happened a couple of times on my car including scratches made by a pet dog. In current times, no one accepts their fault without any evidence. If their is no evidence, then it never happened. For the dog scratches, I know fairly well whose dog was it as is the only pet dog I have observed playing regularly in that area. I have confronted the owner, but he flatly refused any involvement just because their is no evidence. Society doesn't want to install CCTV's in parking lot and have their own reasons.

The only solution is installing dashcam with Parking Mode or Parking Surveillance.

There are a couple of important points to keep in mind if the intention of Parking Mode or Parking Surveillance is to gather concrete evidence
  1. It should have sensitive motion sensor to detect moving objects from a distance. Why from a distance we will come to that later
  2. It should not be on a continuous recording mode or time lapse recording mode while parked. This will drain the battery as well as fill the memory card with redundant footage.
  3. It should support large capacity memory cards as a typical parking could last for more than 12 hours and with multiple people moving around, it will capture a large amount of footage and the critical footage that you may be needing as evidence might get overwritten.
  4. It should have good quality night vision recording as cars are mostly parked from evening to next morning
  5. Good to have the feature of notification system on your mobile device on any impact to the car
  6. Audio recording support during Parking Mode
  7. Most important requirement is the pre-event motion detection buffer recording support and that too with a decent time limit. This is where the motion detection from a distance mentioned in the first bullet point comes into picture. What this means is the dashcam should start recording T-15 seconds before the event and continue to record for T+15 seconds, thus capturing the entire event. There is no point in capturing after the event. In this case its difficult to know if they were responsible for the event. Moreover most of the times people would be facing the camera before the event and their back facing after the event. So pre-event buffer recording is important in this respect too.

Some of these required features are explained very nicely in this video

Dashcams sold here are all Chinese imports and do not have the pre-event motion detection buffer recording feature. The ones that are sold advertising parking mode, only record post event. One of the renowned players in this area is NEXDIGITRON (70MAI and DDPAI). I went to their head office to verify first hand if they have any product with this capability and if they can give me a demo. Surprisingly it was a two room establishment in a shopping complex with one room having two employees testing dashcams and the other room with a receptionist-cum-whatsapp-customer-support and a manager. I had gone there hoping for a technical conversation with someone. But the manager turned out to be a typical reseller of goods without much technical know how. He flatly refused to give any demo and suggested to look at youtube videos posted by 70MAI and DDPAI reviewers. I said, there are so many dashcams lying around for testing, why couldn't he give a demo to a prospective customer. He again flatly refused without giving a reason.

So, if there is anyone who owns a dashcam with the above mentioned features, please let me know the make and model and the Parking Mode reviews.
staraphd is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th March 2024, 09:02   #2
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Dashcam specifically for Parking Mode or Parking Surveillance

BMW sells exactly this for their cars as an official accessory - link to detailed review (BMW Advanced Car Eye 2.0! Radar-based in-car surveillance system to catch vandals). Am sure you will easily find other products from reputable brands.
GTO is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th March 2024, 22:01   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by staraphd View Post
NEXDIGITRON (70MAI and DDPAI). I went to their head office to verify first hand if they have any product with this capability and if they can give me a demo.
Have the Nexodigitron A3 installed on both our cars. We purchased the hardwiring kit but have not found the right person yet to set it up as a few garages we went to had no idea on the matter. Will try it myself in the next week as the whole process is mentioned.

This seems to cover all your needs, it apparently shoots in timelapse when in park mode and activates normal recording on motion detection. We are currently using it through a 12V charging socket, but no issues, works fine. Will update once the hardwiring kit is installed
Old 13th March 2024, 10:08   #4
BHPian

I have the Nexdigitron Prime dual channel dashcam installed with the OBD2 hardwired kit and CPL filter.

Once you set the sensitivity of the collision detection, it will automatically record a segment of the video feed as evidence. The hardwired kit ensures time-lapse recording when the vehicle is parked. The device takes up to a maximum of 256GB and the recording loops to ensure automatic overwriting once the storage capacity is reached.

The official product page is here, in case you need further details. I must say though, I have been extremely satisfied with this product as it met all my requirements.
Old 13th March 2024, 12:23   #5
BHPian

Try Viofo models. They have very good parking/motion detection sensors. They record the event before and after. See the review of Viofo A139 on the YouTube channel black-box My Car / vortex radar. you should get all the info you need
pd1108 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th March 2024, 15:13   #6
BHPian

Quote:

The only solution is installing dashcam with Parking Mode or Parking Surveillance.
If you are parking at a fixed spot, have you considered having a CC(TV) camera? Probably that would provide a higher consistency in monitoring and recording events than a motion sensor triggered camera that sits inside the car with not so great viewing angles from top to bottom. Besides, there could be several hit/miss use cases + risks of running out of battery / memory etc.
Old 15th March 2024, 10:09   #7
BHPian

Have you guys come across a dashcam accessory that can replace the IRVM completely? I ask this because the ones that clamp over the IRVM rattle a bit and look like an add on. I would like for it to look as stock as possible.
I love that some cars have a regular mirror that switches to a dashcam / rear view cam with a switch. That functionality makes it absolutely perfect for me.
Old 17th March 2024, 22:17   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by arnav17 View Post
Have the Nexodigitron A3 installed on both our cars. We purchased the hardwiring kit but have not found the right person yet to set it up as a few garages we went to had no idea on the matter. Will try it myself in the next week as the whole process is mentioned.

This seems to cover all your needs, it apparently shoots in timelapse when in park mode and activates normal recording on motion detection. We are currently using it through a 12V charging socket, but no issues, works fine. Will update once the hardwiring kit is installed
Quote:
Originally Posted by arnieshwartz View Post
I have the Nexdigitron Prime dual channel dashcam installed with the OBD2 hardwired kit and CPL filter.

Once you set the sensitivity of the collision detection, it will automatically record a segment of the video feed as evidence. The hardwired kit ensures time-lapse recording when the vehicle is parked. The device takes up to a maximum of 256GB and the recording loops to ensure automatic overwriting once the storage capacity is reached.

The official product page is here, in case you need further details. I must say though, I have been extremely satisfied with this product as it met all my requirements.
How long is the pre-event buffer recording with these dashcams?
Not sure why manufacturers here do not talk about these specifications?
Old 17th March 2024, 23:29   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by pd1108 View Post
Try Viofo models.
Viofo does look promising on paper. Thanks.
The review video you've mentioned did not show a real event recording though.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dileepcm View Post
Besides, there could be several hit/miss use cases + risks of running out of battery / memory etc.
As I have already mentioned in the OP, society doesn't want to install CCTVs in parking lot and they have their own reasons and you can't install your private CCTV inside society's premises.

Last edited by aah78 : 18th March 2024 at 02:40. Reason: Quotes trimmed, posts merged.
Old 27th March 2024, 11:06   #10

Quote:
This thread is specifically for dashcam pertaining to Parking Mode or Parking Surveillance functionality

So, if there is anyone who owns a dashcam with the above mentioned features, please let me know the make and model and the Parking Mode reviews.

I was facing similar issues in my society. You can try the newly launched Miofive 4K Dual Dashcam with their Hardwiring kit. I've been using it on my polo for over 3 months now and it comes with parking monitoring and surveillance. Videos are recorded on timelapse mode, and it come with a G-Sensor which records emergency footage in case of any tampering with the vehicle. The video clarity during the day and night are exceptional.

Last edited by benbsb29 : 27th March 2024 at 11:11. Reason: Trimmed long post quote.
Old 28th March 2024, 08:38   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by ignaneswar View Post
I was facing similar issues in my society. You can try the newly launched Miofive 4K Dual Dashcam with their Hardwiring kit. I've been using it on my polo for over 3 months now and it comes with parking monitoring and surveillance. Videos are recorded on timelapse mode, and it come with a G-Sensor which records emergency footage in case of any tampering with the vehicle. The video clarity during the day and night are exceptional.
I do not understand why these dashcam companies do not elaborate on the parking mode feature.
How long is the pre-event buffer recording in Miofive 4K? Does it record if you just pass almost touching (but not actually touching) the car body, i.e. without activating the G-sensor?
Old 6th April 2024, 08:42   #12

Why not try viofo a229 pro? Better than 70mai.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks