Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th March 2024, 22:27   #1

Infractions: 0/1 (5)
Honda Accord V6 | Cutout exhaust system to reduce or increase sound levels on the go

Hello fellow TeamBHP members,

This post is a short one as I just needed some advice and guidance from the more experienced members of the forum and possible people with some connections in my area. I reside in Bangalore in the JP Nagar area and am having a dilemma. For a while now I've been wanting to unleash my very muffled high displacement V6 accords throaty roar but with that, I have a few concerns
  • I don't want the car to become a cop magnet
  • I want to keep costs as low as possible (not much a 19-year-old can really afford on his own)
  • I want to preserve the quietness of the stock exhaust because who wants a loud roar 24/7
With these 3 points in mind, I figured the best way of going about this is a cutout exhaust system. If you are unaware of what this is, it's basically a replacement for a short section of your exhaust system maybe about 12-15 inches in length that has a branch attached to it which is controlled by a valve. What this system allows is the stock exhaust sound when the branch is closed but when the valve to the main exhaust is shut off it opens up the diverging branch and allows for the exhaust to flow freely. This will ideally be placed right before the two heavily restrictive mufflers. The exhaust forms sort of a Y shape and right before it branches into the two mufflers is where I will place this. I will attach pictures for reference to help make this a little less confusing.

Honda Accord V6 | Cutout exhaust system to reduce or increase sound levels on the go-61auotywukl._ac_sl1500_.jpg

This is the cutout system.

Honda Accord V6 | Cutout exhaust system to reduce or increase sound levels on the go-5338_20131212.jpg

I plan on installing this right after the center box and right before the two mufflers on the small straight section.

I've spoken to a Code 6 center and they stated that the first problem that they will face is welding mild steel to stainless steel, which is possible so I don't know why that would be a problem and also the cost if it were possible theoretically is around 30k which is out of my budget.

My idea is to get the cutout system from the USA since it's virtually non-existent here and the Valvetronic system available is just muffler replacements so I'd have to get two of them which would make it really expensive. The US cutout part is around 100 USD which I can fit into my budget. Since welding was stated to be a problem finding someone who is willing to weld and more importantly a good price is also tricky. Hence what I plan on doing is using exhaust clamps which I've seen done before in a donut media video, and doing everything on my own. For this, I would first require the part to be brought in from the USA along with the exhaust clamps. Then I would need a shop or a place to work that has an angle grinder and other tools that I would need to do this. Then I would basically do a really sketchy redneck engineering job of cutting out a section of the exhaust and clamping in the cutout valve system. But hey what's life without doing dumb stuff like this every once in a while? The worst-case scenario for this in my head would be that it doesn't work and I'd just have to weld back in the piece that I cut out which I'm sure someone could do for cheap.

This is my current thought process. I come to the members of this forum to tell me if this is a good idea and to help me rationalize it. Any other suggestions are welcome and if anyone knows somewhere where I can work on my car nearby that would also be very helpful. And please do let me know if anyone else has a better idea that will fit in my budget it would be very appreciated.

Thanks for your time everyone, Cheers!

Last edited by aah78 : 18th March 2024 at 02:34. Reason: Pictures isnerted in-line, typos, spacing.
ImportedLlama is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 16th March 2024, 09:27   #2
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Honda Accord V6 | Cutout exhaust system to reduce or increase sound levels on the go

You're sailing in the right direction. Go for it. A BHPian had a similar remote-controlled exhaust on his SX4 - thread link ('08 Maruti SX4 ZXi - A Few Modifications).

Besides, loud exhausts can get tiring on long highway drives.
GTO is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th March 2024, 22:46   #3
BHPian

Re: Honda Accord V6 | Cutout exhaust system to reduce or increase sound levels on the go

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImportedLlama View Post
And please do let me know if anyone else has a better idea that will fit in my budget it would be very appreciated.
Hi, I have a exhaust cutout that matches your requirements. Unable to dm you. You can mail me - idonotcheckthisid@gmail.com
Yakuza is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 17th March 2024, 23:12   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yakuza View Post
Hi, I have a exhaust cutout that matches your requirements. Unable to dm you. You can mail me - idonotcheckthisid@gmail.com
Hello!
Thats a really handy coincidence, I'm sending you an email now. alternatively if its easier for you we can talk on instagram or whatsapp. Thanks a lot!
Old 18th March 2024, 15:11   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
You're sailing in the right direction. Go for it. A BHPian had a similar remote-controlled exhaust on his SX4 - thread link ('08 Maruti SX4 ZXi - A Few Modifications).

Besides, loud exhausts can get tiring on long highway drives.
Thanks for the input, I'll definitely check it out and see what works out the best. The only issue I'm having right now is finding someone in the USA who's willing to shove a stainless steel tube in their suitcase haha. I'll definitely make an update to this post soon once I have something solid going on.
Cheers!
Old 18th March 2024, 18:40   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImportedLlama View Post
This post is a short one as I just needed some advice and guidance
To begin with do a cheapest mod you can do, make a replica Flange to Flange straight pipe catcon replacement. That will change the bass note by a small margin. See if that helps. Yes the O2 light will be lit up like a xmas tree, live with it. (do incorporate a female thread receiver to bolt back the O2 sensor into the dummy pipe).

Then go for a K&N for the V6.

These 2 will be much cheaper than a valve-tronic exhaust mod.

PS - A Honda is a Honda, it will never roar. It will sound like a hungry lion at best, so dont expect a 6.2L V8 effect, but hey, it is your dream and must try it out.

Last edited by svsantosh : 18th March 2024 at 18:42.
Old 18th March 2024, 18:51   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by svsantosh View Post
To begin with do a cheapest mod you can do, make a replica Flange to Flange straight pipe catcon replacement. That will change the bass note by a small margin. See if that helps. Yes the O2 light will be lit up like a xmas tree, live with it. (do incorporate a female thread receiver to bolt back the O2 sensor into the dummy pipe).

Then go for a K&N for the V6.

These 2 will be much cheaper than a valve-tronic exhaust mod.

PS - A Honda is a Honda, it will never roar. It will sound like a hungry lion at best, so dont expect a 6.2L V8 effect, but hey, it is your dream and must try it out.
This is great advice, although i am performing all of this on my own and i think sourcing parts like these and actually installing them will be pretty complex and once again i’m not really going for something that replicates oem spec.
Of course getting a big block V8 roar just can’t happen, i have heard what my exact car sounds like with a fullblown valvetronic exhaust all the way from the headers, and it sounds absolutely incredible. The R35 nissan gtr came with a V6 and if i can get my honda to sound even a tiny bit like that i’ll be more than happy since right now it sounds very very mundane and only when i get close to the redline i can hear the true V6 melody. Either way i think i have some stuff in the works and might be able to get something that sounds amazing and frees up the highly restrictive dual exhaust system so im super excited for what the future holds. As always thanks a lot for your advice and i will look into it more as another route. Thank you!
Old 18th March 2024, 19:46   #8
Senior - BHPian

Why not go for an after market end can mufflers? Or get it custom made. In this way, the sound will not be extremely loud like in a cut out system and at the same time you get to enjoy something more than stock sound.
The more the ceramic wool stuffed in the end cans, the softer it would be in low revs, but would sound sweet in high revs too.
Old 21st March 2024, 20:12   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by tharian View Post
Why not go for an after market end can mufflers? Or get it custom made. In this way, the sound will not be extremely loud like in a cut out system and at the same time you get to enjoy something more than stock sound.
The more the ceramic wool stuffed in the end cans, the softer it would be in low revs, but would sound sweet in high revs too.
Although this is a good idea, bear in mind that my car has 2 mufflers, hence getting either a premade or a custom made muffler would cost a lot more than a simple cutout placed before the pipe splits off into two. I’ll still look and see if I can find anything affordable that could work. Thanks!

Last edited by libranof1987 : 21st March 2024 at 20:20. Reason: Missing capitalizations
ImportedLlama is offline   Received Infraction

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks