Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th August 2007, 05:18   #1
BHPian

Modifying Tata Dicor rear door

Hi all

I really like the Tata Safari Dicor and as many of you know I have a 50 kg German Shepard (check out my avatar), this is one of the vehicles I am considering when I return to India.

However, one of my dislikes is that the rear door opens sideways and this was done (as opposed to lifting up) due to the fact that there was no room in the real for a wheel well (as someone else wrote in another thread due to the large fuel tank) and therefore the spare tyre had to be mounted on the door.

So my question is this. After the warranty expires, can I modify the rear door in such a way to lift up by somehow moving the door hinges to the top and securing a latching mechanism at the bottom Would there be a reliable body shop that could do this? The spare tyre could be laid on its side in the rear or made into a bed for Nattu

Cheers

Nattusbs
Old 25th August 2007, 20:18   #2
Senior - BHPian

I feel this is not advisible because by doing this it will create issues on build of the vehicle and door which is modified might have rattling issues as well unless its done perfect If some do this kind of modification.

I noticed this in Safari but as you have also pointed out its mainlpy because of extra tyre that fit on that door. So it opens sideways.

According to me leave it as it is even after warranty expires and another point is TATA offers almost 4 years warranty I feel including extended warranty so by the time warranty expires it might be time to sell your beast

Ravi.
Old 25th August 2007, 22:30   #3
Senior - BHPian

I dont think the top of the door frame is strong enough to hold the weigth of the door.

Drifter
Old 26th August 2007, 04:58   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nattusbs View Post
So my question is this. After the warranty expires, can I modify the rear door in such a way to lift up by somehow moving the door hinges to the top and securing a latching mechanism at the bottom Would there be a reliable body shop that could do this? The spare tyre could be laid on its side in the rear or made into a bed for Nattu
I dont understand how this will help you? Whats preventing you from making a bed right now. Whats preventing you from taking the spare and sticking it into the car with side hinge door?

Last edited by Mpower : 26th August 2007 at 05:02.
Old 26th August 2007, 05:57   #5
BHPian

MPower

My main interest is in having the rear door open upwards not sideways. I find it more convenient that way.

The spare tyre location is secondary.

Cheers

Nattusbs
Old 26th August 2007, 09:59   #6
SRK
Senior - BHPian

May be you could try some other vehicle?
Maybe the Innova?
Old 26th August 2007, 10:11   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRK View Post
May be you could try some other vehicle?
Maybe the Innova?
Thats still wouldnt meet Nattusbs' requirement of a top-opening door.
Old 26th August 2007, 12:43   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
My main interest is in having the rear door open upwards not sideways. I find it more convenient that way.
Considering the weight of that tail gate, it would be one hell of a task to pull it down, if it were converted to a top-opening one.
Old 26th August 2007, 12:50   #9
BHPian

You could fibreglass the rear door and add a couple of braces inside for safety, remove the spare tire from it and hinge it on the top. The hydraulic struts that operate the dicor's hood should make a good job of opening the tail gate.
Old 26th August 2007, 13:25   #10
Senior - BHPian

Not recommended, period.

It will give you a lot of problems over time, rattles, not closing properly etc etc and very few workshops can do such a job with quality and satisfaction.

You shouldnt try your luck on this one.
Old 26th August 2007, 13:53   #11
BHPian

you'll get used to the side opening rear door.
its just a matter of time.
besides it isnt really that inconvenient.
as far as your 50kg pooch is concerned there is enough room in the rear (with the jump seats folded up) for him to throw a small cocktail party.
Old 26th August 2007, 15:06   #12
BHPian

I think most of the SUVs in India have the rear door opening sideways. You might have a better chance if you go for a station wagon. I am not sure whether its still in production or not but FIAT Adventure sports would have been a good option for you. I have seen one such adventure modded for two dogs though not as heavy and big as yours.
I would also recommend you not to go for the moifications to the dicor's rear door
Old 4th September 2007, 22:29   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
MPower

The spare tyre location is secondary.

Cheers

Nattusbs
OK, I get it. Its a personal preference for you to have a hatchback rather than a swing out & reason for putting the spare inside is to reduce the load on the hatchback.

Well, its not going to be easy or cheap but a professional like DC can do it for you. (just dont let him talk you into anything else ) DC's business thrives on people with wild imagination and deep pockets.

Keep in mind also that the spare inside will rob your dog of space inside.

Last edited by Mpower : 5th September 2007 at 02:05.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks