Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th September 2007, 21:05   #16
Senior - BHPian

@ancer, that's an issue with all civic suspension.. My gf recently bought a misty voilet Civic Auto (new) and the thud sound is felt in the back seat when driving over rough roads.. Ironically, Ring Road Honda technicians say they couldn't hear any such sound. If that bother you, I think you should do some modification with the knowledge of the dealer..

Last edited by iTNerd : 20th September 2007 at 21:07.
Old 3rd November 2007, 22:18   #17
BHPian

hey guys,
just to let u'll know that i faced a similar problem with my civic(thud from the rear), 1 yr/17k kms, but the last 2 months or so i havent really encountered the prominent thuds that i had started associating with potholes on the road - as long as its only the driver and passanger seat occupied. it almost feels like the car has run itself in and is now comfortable to ride in.
though i have to say that i've travelled with the car fully loaded with luggage in the boot and it did bottom out a couple of times, though not as frequently as it used to. but its an annoying feeling as every one in the car tends to give u that look - where did u learn to drive, to add insult to injury, i have even been scoffed at, saying that the indica doesnt make as much noise when going through potholes.
the only advantage to have come out of this entire episode is that i have become more careful and tend to drive more slowly. though at the back of my mind it still nags like a terrier refusing to let go.
i sincerely feel that honda siel should address the grievances of the numerous civic owners and come to a speedy solution.
rgds
ritesh
Old 4th November 2007, 00:56   #18
BHPian

well as starnge as this sounds the civic is now my brothers and i have been moved to sonata gold V6 , but the funny part is im not complaining the suspension on the sonata tends to make a bit of a thud due its weight but at lower speeds i feel its a lot better than the civic,as for the civic you'll get used to the suspesnion after some time its just that we expect every new car to have a soft ride, which by the way is not always good if your a person who drives 80+ kmph
Old 20th November 2007, 15:08   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by viper
Hi,

I would suggest you install TEIIN's. They simply rock and you also have the advantage of installing a EDFC controller on dash.

See this link for TEIN. PRODUCTS and this for the EDFC
TEIN EDFC.

Have just got the same for a 2005 Accord.

Viper
Viper, how much did this cost?
Is it possible to adjust the ride height also at run time or only once during the install?
Old 20th November 2007, 15:15   #20
BANNED

Hi,

With the TEIN EDFC you can adjust height while in motion.

Viper
Old 20th November 2007, 15:27   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by viper View Post
Hi,

Viper
wow.. Can you share the costs involved in getting this fitted? Also, for the civic (indeed any other car), Is it sufficient to get it fitted on the rear shocks only if you just wanna get over speed humps etc?
Old 5th December 2007, 21:33   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Hi,

Viper
YOU cannot adjust height while in motion.

E.D.F.C stands for Electronic Damping Force Controller which is done by stepper motor installed on each shock absorber & controller is dash mount. basically good to adjust damping/rebound to suit Track/road conditions.
To adjust height you would have to physically get out of the car and adjust it with the wheels off.
Old 5th December 2007, 21:53   #23
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford Rocam View Post
YOU cannot adjust height while in motion.

E.D.F.C stands for Electronic Damping Force Controller which is done by stepper motor installed on each shock absorber & controller is dash mount. basically good to adjust damping/rebound to suit Track/road conditions.
To adjust height you would have to physically get out of the car and adjust it with the wheels off.
My Bad,

I meant to say adjust damping while in motion. Here is the link to the website which gives the full explanation of the EDFC features

HOME >> PRODUCTS >> EDFC

Viper
viper is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th May 2008, 13:21   #24
BHPian

Quote:
My Bad,

I meant to say adjust damping while in motion. Here is the link to the website which gives the full explanation of the EDFC features

HOME >> PRODUCTS >> EDFC

Viper
Hi Viper,

Any idea if these products are available in India ? Do you know if someone fitted these on the Civic ?
Old 14th April 2009, 15:39   #25
Senior - BHPian

Is there any product which let's you adjust both ride height and suspension stiffness at run time from within the cabin?
Old 17th March 2010, 13:09   #26
Senior - BHPian

A very common complaint regarding the Civic suspension (especially the pre-facelift version) concerns the rear suspension. Words like soft, wallows, bottoms-out etc come to mind.

What is the remedy, keeping in mind the car is to be used as a daily-drive on city roads which aren't very smooth? I'm talking potholes, craters, speed-breakers, unevenly paved surfaces and so on.
Lowering the car, using stiffer, sportier suspension will definitely improve handing and stability, but at the cost of ride quality and comfort. Ride will be stiffer, you will feel the bumps, and over a period of time these shocks transmitted to your cabin will result in rattling issues. I know this first hand, because I drive a Lancer with a (stiffer than stock) Pedders suspension. I love the handling and steering response that I get, but driving on bad roads is a pain.

So what is the best compromise?
- Can the front suspension be kept stock?
- For the rear, can stiffer after-market springs be used along with the OE shocks? What are the different options (name, price) of such springs?
- What tyres would work well in conjunction with the above? They should aid good handling without compromising on the comfort.
Old 17th March 2010, 15:26   #27
BANNED

i have the same problem in ANHC as well. it seems to be stiffer than a stock swift with 16" rims.
Old 26th March 2010, 11:38   #28
BANNED

I am reviving this old thread for the following question:

What exactly are the changes in the rear damper mounting points made in the 2009 version? Any other changes?
What has been their effect on the bottoming and handling?
Old 20th December 2011, 14:35   #29

Re: honda civic suspension

Can i run 17" rims with 225/45 spec tires on civic's default suspension ? Basically would i need to change the dampers if i move to 17" tires ?
Old 8th May 2018, 12:14   #30
Senior - BHPian

Re: honda civic suspension

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
I am reviving this old thread for the following question:

What exactly are the changes in the rear damper mounting points made in the 2009 version? Any other changes?
What has been their effect on the bottoming and handling?
Sir, were you able to find an answer to this question? If yes, can you please share?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks