Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th September 2007, 11:34   #1
BHPian

header for zen in Bangy...

Hi All,
I joined this group recently. bought my long waiting dream car 2 weeks back. 2001 zen. (carb version). i have put K&N fillters and performance is very good. Im planning to alter the silencer by putting headers( no much knowledge). please guide me thorugh for the same. I want a medium sound coming out of my car without hurting the engine much. im not a very regular user of the car(take out only during weekends) PLease let me know the suggestions all xperts out there.. Also if possible let me know the cost that i have to spend from my pocket and the place to do it.. Any suggestions are welcome. Waiting for reply...
Old 26th September 2007, 12:05   #2
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Endofdayz View Post
Hi All,
I joined this group recently. bought my long waiting dream car 2 weeks back. 2001 zen. (carb version). i have put K&N fillters and performance is very good. Im planning to alter the silencer by putting headers( no much knowledge). please guide me thorugh for the same. I want a medium sound coming out of my car without hurting the engine much. im not a very regular user of the car(take out only during weekends) PLease let me know the suggestions all xperts out there.. Also if possible let me know the cost that i have to spend from my pocket and the place to do it.. Any suggestions are welcome. Waiting for reply...
just to add one more point... here my intension is only to get the sound..nothin else.
Old 26th September 2007, 12:41   #3
BHPian

Welcome to Tbhp Endofdayz!
If you are just looking for the sound and not performance, do not get headers! Just get a free-flowing muffler. That should suffice!
Use the search option for more details. This is an extensively discussed topic!
Old 26th September 2007, 13:03   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

This thread should help you:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...?highlight=FFE
Old 26th September 2007, 13:15   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
just to add one more point... here my intension is only to get the sound..nothin else.
If its only the sound that you want a change in drain the idea of headers and get yourself an after-market end can. The end can should give you the noise you want, saves your doe.

Else get your self a complete FFE which would cost you between 8k-15k depending on the manufacturer.
Old 26th September 2007, 13:38   #6
BHPian

2001 zen

hey,

you say that your car is a 2001 model. I doubt if it is a Carb Version, cause MUL started producing MPFi ZENs from AUG 2000. If you bought the car recently better get it checked.

Last edited by raghuram.cg : 26th September 2007 at 13:45.
Old 26th September 2007, 13:40   #7
Senior - BHPian

If its only sound you want then just get an aftermarket muffler. On the other hand a well designed header will improve your cars performance significantly.

I initially wanted only sound but got headers too. My car sounds great and added bonus is the performance. So if budget is not a constraint invest in a full free flow exhaust system (consists of headers and the free flow muffler). The quest for more performance is very addictive and you wont stop at that. I bet you will later be tempted for an engine swap or somethin else.
Old 26th September 2007, 13:59   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by n_aditya View Post
If its only sound you want then just get an aftermarket muffler. On the other hand a well designed header will improve your cars performance significantly.

I initially wanted only sound but got headers too. My car sounds great and added bonus is the performance. So if budget is not a constraint invest in a full free flow exhaust system (consists of headers and the free flow muffler). The quest for more performance is very addictive and you wont stop at that. I bet you will later be tempted for an engine swap or somethin else.
thank you for all the msgs there. rite now i have little finanical constrints. so thought of going only for the muffler kit. Have ne idea how should i pay for muffler alone. rite now i have put sports steering wheel. neon interior lamps(strip type) and system. main unit is pioneer and all the other setup is JBL.its loud.considering the car to b small it fits in requirement very well. please let me know the cost of mufler and let me know if i vil damage the car engine by putting any altered muffler and ne effect on the mileage part. Do let me know the places around bangy where i can get it.
Old 26th September 2007, 14:02   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raghuram.cg View Post
hey,

you say that your car is a 2001 model. I doubt if it is a Carb Version, cause MUL started producing MPFi ZENs from AUG 2000. If you bought the car recently better get it checked.
hi raghu,
i took the car to showroom in bangy and had a thorough checkup before giving the toekn advance.. its 2001 march model. MPFI version started to roll out only in august or sept.. during that period u still had a option of going for carb version and there was slight price diff it seems.. im happy i got a very good stock condition car.
Old 26th September 2007, 14:20   #10
Senior - BHPian

End can's can be custom made by fabricators or you can buy one off the shelf(stainless steel).

Here is a pic of what I had picked up sometime back and it costed me about 5 grand.

Custom made end can's should cost you about 1500/- (cheapest).

Check some prominent car accessories store in bangy and you should be able to get one off the shelf.
Old 26th September 2007, 15:08   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
please let me know the cost of mufler and let me know if i vil damage the car engine by putting any altered muffler and ne effect on the mileage part.
Like RJstyles mentioned the mufflers which are custom made are cheapest and have a rally kind of note to it. The SS ones sound very deep and bassy. Decide what you need. The custom muffler can be fed with more or less glass wool for muted sound or loud noise. This is done during fabrication process (if you can order a specific type during the fabrication process) or by cutting open the muffler and getting the required output by adding / removing glass wool. The SS ones are available at most accessory shops, while custom ones are available at garages which undertake performance related work. My suggestion is to go for the SS muffler.

Last edited by n_aditya : 26th September 2007 at 15:11.
Old 26th September 2007, 20:45   #12
BHPian

If he just wants more sound on a budget couldn't he just mod his existing muffler?
Old 26th September 2007, 20:53   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohan_fonseca View Post
If he just wants more sound on a budget couldn't he just mod his existing muffler?
Yeah all he has to do is poke holes in the existing muffler.
Old 27th September 2007, 01:54   #14
Team-BHP Support

Endofdayz, following is what i had on my zen for a short while in 2004, this was an august 2001 spec.
Catcon removed, replaced by a muffler with embossed holdes on the inside.
The intermediate chamber and pipes were replaced with a 3" dia straight pipe (about 2.5 feet long), and the pipe was welded to a v shaped pipe, about 6" in length.
This V shaped pipe was then welded onto the end can, again a 3" pipe.
It sounded nothing short of brilliant, but was really loud thanks to the straight pipe.
That is one reason i have stayed away from the straight pipe in my ohc freeflow, but then a straight pipe sounds awesome.

You can get a similar setup for right now, and once you have more moolah ask the tuner to add a set of headers too.
The above mentioned setup should cost you in the range of 2k.

One thing though, how much cheaper was your carb spec car compared to an mpfi example from the later batch?

manson.
Old 27th September 2007, 09:37   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manson View Post
Endofdayz, following is what i had on my zen for a short while in 2004, this was an august 2001 spec.
Catcon removed, replaced by a muffler with embossed holdes on the inside.
The intermediate chamber and pipes were replaced with a 3" dia straight pipe (about 2.5 feet long), and the pipe was welded to a v shaped pipe, about 6" in length.
This V shaped pipe was then welded onto the end can, again a 3" pipe.
It sounded nothing short of brilliant, but was really loud thanks to the straight pipe.
That is one reason i have stayed away from the straight pipe in my ohc freeflow, but then a straight pipe sounds awesome.

You can get a similar setup for right now, and once you have more moolah ask the tuner to add a set of headers too.
The above mentioned setup should cost you in the range of 2k.

One thing though, how much cheaper was your carb spec car compared to an mpfi example from the later batch?

manson.
thanks for all the suggestions.. i had shortlisted two cars.. one 2001 zen(carb version) other one 2002 zen...mpfi version.... mpfi version was run 69k and owneer was quoting 2.6k...negotiated max and he came down only by 10k.... so he was looking at 2.5lakhs.. thats the reason i bought this zen.. i dunno but after 3 months of research waht i feel is the old model zen have got very high resale value and thats the reason people just ask for money.... my budget was 1.6 lakhs for car and another 60k for mod..... but my calculations went wrong ven i bought this car.... i had to pay 1.8 + 5k transfer charges... system and little interior mod cost me 33k.... so i hold myself from getting completely moded headers and stuff like that.. so just compromising for little sound from muffler... may b in future vil do somethin like complete headers replacement and change of wheels..... but team-bhp members appreciate all u guyz knowledge regarding mods.. btu please let me know the mods related to existing muffler or some other muffler vil cause ne damage to engine.... this my fav car been dreaming from many years.. though had ikon till this year but my first love was zen(old model)... so dont want to take ne risk if it vil harm the enigne.... please suggest the good please around bangy to do the same...

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks