Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th October 2007, 23:54   #1
BHPian

Request help with Zen in Andheri (W), Mumbai

Hi guys,

I hope this is the right forum; apologies if I misfired. To cut to the chase, I've become the proud owner of a car – my first – without actually being prepared for it! The car in question is only a 1997 Zen Std (MH-04 regn), but I'm sure all of you will know how it feels when it's your very first car...

I picked it up from a friend who was migrating abroad and wanted to get rid of the car. Paid 75K for it. It's a multi-owner car but I've known the previous owners personally (two of the three are from the same workplace) and to the best of my knowledge none of them have thrashed it or even used it to capacity. Indeed, it's done only a genuine 55000 km in the past 10 years.

Now for the bad news. I agreed to pick it up because my younger brother is an experienced driver and was planning to use it for his daily commute. But now he's had to go off to Dubai for a few months' stint, and the mantle of responsibility has fallen on me. Never having owned a car before (and having driven only infrequently) I'm getting just a little paranoid. My hesitant attempts at driving in Mumbai traffic haven't been, to put it mildly, a resounding success. I do handle a bike with ease, so I'm hoping it's only a matter of time...

The first thing I need to do is to get a gear lock fitted because I don't have secure parking. Which would be the nearest Autocop dealer? Also, could somebody recommend a good service station in Andheri (West), preferably in the Seven Bungalows area where I stay? I need to get the underbody checked. The rest of the car seems all right, probably because it's run mostly in Nashik and escaped the Mumbai climate (and also escaped the deluge of July 26).

There are a few workshops on Juhu-Versova Link Road, but I'm not sure how good they are. They don't look very professional to me, so suggestions from the experts would be very welcome. If some kindly soul who lives in this area would agree to spend a Sunday morning or afternoon helping to put my car in order it would be a godsend. I'll meet all expenses, of course, and then some. (Perhaps lunch/dinner at Urban Tadka or Mista Paaji?)

I'm not expecting any discounts – just a clean, professional job from a workshop of repute. No limit on the budget in case any repair work is found necessary – I don't believe in cutting corners. I bought a second-hand car only because (a) it practically offered itself, and (b) I thought it would be a good way to ease myself into the "own-a-car" experience before spending 5-6 lakh on (say) a new Swift.

Do reply/PM me if any of you have any suggestions, or email me at clueless_dodo at yahoo dot com. Yes, the email ID should indicate how helpless I feel. Thanks for reading this far.
Old 10th October 2007, 01:13   #2
Awaiting Email Confirmation

edsel why dont you try giving it to the (I think its )vitesse workshop on andheri link road? they should be able to help(can find a link there), or if you have the time then i can support you at sai service or autovista at anytime.I know each of them there and can make sure your cars done perfectly in terms of maintenance.
Old 10th October 2007, 22:25   #3
BHPian

I'll suggest go to Sai service at Andheri and get the car serviced also take their report on the estimates about the repair work reqired on the car. I know Authorised service station will be a bit expencive but atleast you will have peace of mind.
Old 11th October 2007, 16:04   #4
BHPian

Thanks, nitroxx, chetana, and saurabh. Those suggestions were very helpful. Vitesee is much closer than Sai (which I believe is in Andheri east) so that's one point in favour of the former. Car Clinic at Laxmi Industrial Estate is also close by, so that's another option.

Doesn't anyone have anything good to say about the roadside garages on Juhu-Versova Link Road? That's practically next door, but I guess they are best avoided unless one knows the guys personally!
Old 11th October 2007, 16:12   #5
BHPian

Thanks nitroxx, chetan and saurabh... those suggestions were helpful. Vitesse has an edge over Sai because it's much closer (I believe the latter is in Andheri East). Car Clinic at Laxmi Industrial Estate is another option; it's also close by.

Any idea where I can pick up a gear lock in Andheri West?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks