Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 26th October 2007, 07:09   #61
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (10)

Quote:
Originally Posted by memo45_m
Rahul the person who told you the very line that stated abt NOS or turbo, I remember has not more knowledge of cars that what he reads of some sites and kinds of co-relates theory to practicality and also makes some really superlative claims.
No idea whom you are referring to. Last I heard the person I was referring to has a very good name as a performance parts stocker & tuner for Honda, Suzi, Nissan, Porsche etc in the US of A. He was the person from whom my pistons and rings were sourced and also some of the best clutches, flywheels et all that run in some of the quickest honda's in the country are his recommendation I am told. I am guessing he has more knowledge about piston rings he makes than any of us here. I hope that clarifies some misconceptions.

This is not a thread where each one of you come out trying to defend a friend. I prefer calling a spade a spade. When I was happy with the work, I praised the tuner for it. When I was not I made it clear. So take it with a pinch of salt.

Last edited by mclaren1885 : 26th October 2007 at 07:15.
mclaren1885 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th October 2007, 11:14   #62
BHPian

congrats on getting the car back in shape - we need a report
Old 26th October 2007, 11:15   #63
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mclaren1885 View Post
Finally some good news. Cars back and doing really well. .
congrats MCL - i have not posted in this thread - because whatever i would have posted would not have added any value. but now - since the car is back and that your are happy about the way she is doing - it feels great.

congrats once again - take care of the ride and yourself cheers:
Old 26th October 2007, 12:55   #64
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Finally some good news. Cars back and doing really well. Just need to sit down and wriggle out a few niggles here and there. For more, read my signature. Will put up a detailed report once I get back from CBE.
good to hear that rahul. now when you turboing it?
Old 26th October 2007, 14:28   #65
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Finally some good news. Cars back and doing really well. Just need to sit down and wriggle out a few niggles here and there. For more, read my signature. Will put up a detailed report once I get back from CBE.
Aah thats good to know, good luck with your future mods.
Old 26th October 2007, 19:47   #66
BHPian

hey mclaren,
This article is a good eye opener for newbies, for people who are not from the automotive world, myself
Now that you have restored your car, that's good to hear.
To add to your article I feel... in a country like ours both customers & vendors would be new to modding, experimentation etc etc especially in Bangalore. as long as people continue with the experimentation with old cars I think it's fine.... New cars should not be Stage3 modded, this is my opinion.
There's always a risk attached to it....
Old 26th October 2007, 20:35   #67
Senior - BHPian

@mclaren.... Really sad that you had to go through all this. In the hindsight you could've been a little more assertive and cautious. I hope everything's OK now. We often discover what will do, by finding out what will not do, and probably he who never made a mistake never made a discovery.
All the luck mate!
Old 26th October 2007, 20:52   #68
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
However, I will reserve my judgement on your case until both sides of the story are told.
Amen. We havent heard the other side, and though I am privy to some of the stuff there I will not comment unless the gentleman concerned wishes to. And a true gentleman he is.
Old 26th October 2007, 23:14   #69
Senior - BHPian

Good to know that your car is back. I felt really bad after reading the thread. Take care of her.
Old 27th October 2007, 09:36   #70
Team-BHP Support

Quote:

Moral(s) of the story:
1. Don't be the one to do "a first" on your car. Just follow the success path of someone who has been there, done that.
2. Do your homework, and stick to what "you" want from your car and not what "others" think is best for your car.
3. When your tuner says "I have everything under control, expect worse things to come and be prepared".
4. High compression is not the way to get max power on a NA engine. Its the least reliable way.
5. When your tuner says "Why you bother, I will handle it" when you ask questions beware that you are the only one who will be blamed for any shortcomings later on.
6. Never do any mods, that you don't understand.
7. No matter how good a tuner is, he will never accept his mistakes. Rather you will be blamed.
8. Professionalism is what is lacking in the tuning circle in India from my experience.
9. A.S.S is very important in the art of modding your car too. Without it, you life is HELL!
As Rush said, there are two sides to the story. I am playing the devils advocate,, the ownership of failure in my opinion lies with both parties. There could have been a better way of putting your points across without implicitly denigerating the person who you refuse to name but everyone can figure out. A major issue that can be seen is that the thin line between friendship and professional relationships was ruptured big time.

If you wanted to express yourself constructively you could have stated the above points as follows:

1: Use tried and tested tuning methods, if you must try a new path, do it in increments and observe. Don't go gung ho

2. Research, introspect and clearly define what you want from your car and what you want to do! You might get distracted by others advice but do your research.

3. Don't expect things to go right from Day 1, ensure you give a lot of time and attention to iron things out. In most cases the tuner is on your side and is working overtime to resolve gremlins

4. High compression is not the way to get max power on a NA engine. Its the least reliable way.

5. Be firm with your tuner if you feel things are not going right. Do listen to his point of view but the final call is yours

6. Never do any mods, that you don't understand.

7. Tuners are human and mistakes can happen. In such cases, be constructive is listing each problem, how it happened and what to do next. Never proceed with a mod without knowing how much and "what if"

8. Professionalism has yet to mature as this is a new industry so one cannot take a hand's off approach and hope for the best.

While the other side of the story has yet to be told, like Steeroid, i am aware there are some other facts... both behavioural and financial.

This forum is not a place "get back at the tuner". There are similar cases going on but they prefer to do this in a dignified manner.

Concluding - was it worth spending all that money and getting no where. You want to be a competition driver. All that money could have gone into professional training/ go karting championships/ FISSME racing. You could have been a champ by now!
ajmat is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th October 2007, 10:44   #71
BHPian

Good lesson for every one there.

Tuner is not an engineer who test hundreds of hrs to give a reliable product to his customer. He shows off by saying some technical terms and processes and always want to be in lime light of his customers.Seriously think how much design knowledge he has before putting unreliable junk in your car. How many chief engineers work in a car factory to make every thing work...

Next time dont fall for cheap gimmiks that tuner is god,, hes no one but a poor guy who wants to make a quick buck..
Old 27th October 2007, 10:54   #72
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Next time dont fall for cheap gimmiks that tuner is god,, hes no one but a poor guy who wants to make a quick buck..
that's a bit of a harsh generalization don't you think? I sure do.
Old 27th October 2007, 11:04   #73
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rtech View Post
that's a bit of a harsh generalization don't you think? I sure do.
Yes, the statement is harsh, but they need it to avoid these kind of mistakes and rip people out. I know rahul and this named tuner for long time, I take the side of rahul if you ask me.
Old 27th October 2007, 11:53   #74
BHPian

This is what life is all about, there are ups and downs.

Some people learn from others' mistakes,
Some learn from their own,
Some never learn!

You are human, your tuner is human, making mistakes is perfectly human!
Accepting them is super-human!

Hell, everyone makes mistakes, one just needs to learn how to move on!

There are many sides to a story, at the end its a story, real facts never come out, there is always something left untold and there's no end to pointing fingers at each other!

Rahul, you've been through a lot of ****, everyone goes through **** I just hope things get going the way you want and you are satisfied at the end of the day! That is what really matters!

with best wishes,
shrivz!

Last edited by shrivz : 27th October 2007 at 11:58.
shrivz is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th October 2007, 11:59   #75
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by west View Post
Yes, the statement is harsh, but they need it to avoid these kind of mistakes and rip people out.
Rip people out? Are you really sure about this statement? It's a pretty serious one!
Quote:
Originally Posted by west View Post
I know rahul and this named tuner for long time, I take the side of rahul if you ask me.
All the more reason to state those facts properly. I'm hoping you know all of those.
Rudra Sen is offline   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks