Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th December 2007, 03:11   #1
NMM

1985 Ambassador mark 4

I have trucked my rusting 1985 mark 4 from Cochin to Bombay simply because I refused to see it get sold as scrap or to a taxi operator in Kerala who would shoe horn a matador engine into it & take as much care of it as he would to a rented mule.These emotions also stem from deep rooted sentimental value for the car as well as ambassadors in general.

I now plan to make it my pet project from 2008.
I have dilemma though:

1. I restore it to is former glory keep the same engine ( put sleeves,overhaul,polish paint et all pamper it with the best engine oils/petrol/lubes etc.) add and A/C,maybe power steering & get a 50K paint job + 15K high quality chroming & Enjoy the nostalgia every time I take it for a spin once in a while.

OR.

2. pretty much the same as point 1. the only difference being sink in a isuzu 1.8 ( K&N,free flow, maybe a turbo), alloys + high performance tyres, custom front grill,integrate the back number plates into the back bumper.

This takes it a little away from the whole classic feel & it'll take the nostalgia away a bit but It will become a street legal ( no issues with PUC) & maybe somewhat a practical (daily use) alternate to my civic (10k kms) or my old workhorse a 2002 lancer (87K kms)

I have a month before I take a decision so suggestions or opinions are welcome.
Old 17th December 2007, 09:16   #2
Team-BHP Support

suggest to start looking at :

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/long-t...ar-review.html

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/vintag...-team-bhp.html
Old 17th December 2007, 13:50   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMM View Post
I have trucked my rusting 1985 mark 4 from Cochin to Bombay simply because I refused to see it get sold as scrap or to a taxi operator in Kerala
Admirable. I'm not an expert but I'm an enthusiast. I have fond memories of the gap-grilled Mark 4 Amby - we had one of these as the family car in the early and mid 80s in Kerala. It was powder blue (not the best choice, but it didn't bother me at the time). The reg number was KEE 4294. Now I'm in Bombay (Andheri West) and miss those days. Please PM me your location details if you can; I'd very much like to observe your pre- and post-restoration efforts.

My dad still swears by the Ambassador. At his age (77) he says no other car is so easy to get into and out of - or sit in for that matter. Of course, he can no longer drive, so it's probably the rear seat comfort that makes him wax so eloquently on the Amby.
Old 17th December 2007, 16:57   #4
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Please go for the 1.8 Isuzu; you can retain everything else as original. No need to turbo it either...its got more power than the chassis can handle.

I suggest getting in touch with Rudra for any additional queries.
Old 18th December 2007, 02:14   #5
NMM

Hmmm...

thanks guys.

rudra's thread has been really informative.

Will keep you guys posted as an when theres any development on this front!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks