Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories

Search this Thread
Old 8th February 2008, 11:27   #1
BHPian

Expert suggestion needed -T25 or smaller turbo set up

Hi,

Just wondering if like minded folks here can put together some thoughts to come up with a basic turbo set up (not for extreme performance) using stock internals and running around 8-9psi boost.

Suggestions needed in the following areas- (putting down my thoughts that are relatively easy and cheap, Im sure there are better ways!!)

Turbocharger - Garrett, mitsubishi etc T25 size or smaller to make it spool quicker

Turbo manifold - log style manifold, its easy to build as compared to the equal length one. (anyone, know any good place who build

Fuel management - Cheapest might be RRFPR/FMU, a rising rate fuel pressure regulator hooked up with a high pressure fuel pump that will bump up the fuel pressure as boost rises in the intake.----------or --------
Hooking up an extra injector (and a driver mechanism) that would be activated at a certain intake/MAP reading.

Fuel pump - May be high pressure rated Bosch OE or other good quality pump that would deliver more than 80 psi of fuel pressure (to keep costs lower than having to buy a perfromance fuel pump like Walbro etc)

Intercooler - Whatever you lay your hands on provided it fit in the area that want it to be.

BOV - no suggestions from myside. I would like suggestions

Exhaust system - A custom build exhaust that would not have high back pressure. An OE cat converter of a 2L size NA engine might just work.

Just as a note - The objective here would be to create/design a basic turbo set up with known, easily accessible, fairly priced parts and yet have a relaible daily driver boosted car to have some fun (not just on the weekend).

This was just my thoughts around it - Im hoping that everyone in here will have much more to contribute to this. Thanks - Joe
Old 8th February 2008, 21:26   #2
Team-BHP Support

You musthave seen this thread, right ? >>

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modifi...ift-turbo.html

cya
R
Old 8th February 2008, 23:02   #3

Infractions: 0/1 (10)

i think the smallest turbo is garrett gt1241.
Old 9th February 2008, 03:43   #4
Senior - BHPian

That's the smallest Garrett.

You've forgotten to mention which car, Joe.
Old 9th February 2008, 03:59   #5
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by v1p3r View Post
That's the smallest Garrett.

You've forgotten to mention which car, Joe.
I thought it was a swift, judging by his ID, hence i posted the link above.

However, after reading his intro, it seems like its a maruti zen he wants to force feed with a spinning spoon.

cya
R
Old 11th February 2008, 12:37   #6
BHPian

Thanks much for you responses/ thoughts.
What are the MAP sensor - trick mods other than FCD or the likes to make sure that the car doesnt go into the limp mode etc.
Has anyone tried out bleeding out boost pressure seen by the MAP to make sure it still is in the range acceptable to the ECM. Maybe use a spring loaded ball valve to do this job to make sure MAP/ECM dont go berserk with boost.
Just wondering if we could think of something mechanical instead of limiting the MAP voltage using FCD or other gadgets.

Last edited by Rehaan : 11th February 2008 at 21:56. Reason: cud = could. Please avoid SMS language as per TBHP rules.
Old 11th February 2008, 13:12   #7
BHPian

if it is a swift a gt20 ia good as it will spool quicker and more linear power but if ur talkin bout a zen and daily reliable car with 8-9 psi of boost then its a problem....no uprated brake set up for the zen available which means if ur on boost and hit the breaks the car wont stop and u will crash the car. one thing is to make the car as fast as possible but then it also must be driveable....personally my opinion is that if u turbo a zen it will be a death trap
Old 12th February 2008, 00:13   #8
Senior - BHPian

Check out TeamSwift :: Index forums....Lots of helpful and experienced guys in there who are willing to give you advice if you are going the DIY route. Don't expect much help with parts sourcing though. They're all US-based.

I played around with using a Toyota CT12 turbo on a carb Esteem engine. Didn't follow through cause I left the country soon after. But I understand its an excellent turbo for low-boost and quick spool. You might also want to look into a IHI RHB5 if you can find one.

Last edited by ananthkamath : 12th February 2008 at 00:17.
Old 12th February 2008, 00:23   #9
Senior - BHPian

Guys Swiftboost has a Zen, and not a Swift as his nick mistakes people to believe.
Old 12th February 2008, 00:30   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gemballa View Post
ino uprated brake set up for the zen available which means if ur on boost and hit the breaks the car wont stop and u will crash the car
Esteem type II, anyone?
Old 5th March 2008, 12:26   #11
BHPian

Turbochargers - Some of the smaller OE turbos used by manufacturers

Garrett T15
Garrett T2
Garrett T25

Mitsubishi TD025

KKK K31
KKK KP35
kkk K35

IHI RHB5

Garrett GT15 (Variable Geometry)
KKK BV29 (Variable Geometry)
Old 5th March 2008, 13:57   #12
HPP
BHPian

I would love to try and give some advice on your proposed setup, but not sure what to address. The plan sounds fairly good(for a basic/budget setup), but do you have any specific questions you'd like answered? It might be easier to tackle one at a time.
HPP is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th March 2008, 14:34   #13
BHPian

Hey.. well i am using a bigger turbo, the t25 on my ohc vtec.. but then i now have forged internals.. !
If u planing to go forged.. then i suggest u the t25..
Old 22nd August 2008, 12:45   #14
BHPian

How much would a "Garrett GT20 turbocharger" coast in bangalore?
Old 22nd August 2008, 14:03   #15
Senior - BHPian

I know someone who has Garret T20 turbo with SS manifold, HKS Wastegate, exhaust and dump pipe ready. Its for sale at a steal. PM me for more details.

Most Viewed