Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th February 2008, 23:46   #1

My new Gypsy so many questions - Changing the gear ratios

I just bought a 1990 Maruti Gypsy with a Toyota deisel engine. The transmissions is from a fiat 131. So I love it the only problem is the the gear ratio is too low. I was wondering if I changed the dear diff to one from a newer Suzuki Samurai will it raise the grears. I know that origionally the Gypsy had 4 gears and my transmissions has 5. If you have any other suggestions please send them I would greatly appreciate it.
Old 9th February 2008, 11:43   #2
BHPian

You will have to check the final drive ratios and their compatibility before a swap. Is your vehice a 4x2? What tyre size are you running?

BTW, which engine is it, a 2C?
Old 9th February 2008, 13:23   #3
GTO
Team-BHP Support

You could also try swapping the final drives into a higher ratio, if possible. I had changed them on my Jeep since the stock 4 speed had really low gearing.
Old 12th February 2008, 04:16   #4

if they are easier to find can I swap the gears in the rear axle, instead of the the transmissions ones? And does anyobody know where to find final drive gears for a fiat 131 transmission?
Old 12th February 2008, 10:03   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrgizzer View Post
if they are easier to find can I swap the gears in the rear axle, instead of the the transmissions ones? And does anyobody know where to find final drive gears for a fiat 131 transmission?
You will not find the final drive gears in the main gearbox, but you may find them inside the bulges in the front (if it still is a 4x4) and rear axle.

If it is a 4x4, make sure you replace both final drives.
Alfa_Kilo is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th February 2008, 02:14   #6

swapping and finding the parts

DO the ones in the suzuki samurai fit in the maruti gypsy? I know that they are 10% higher, that is what I read on the suzuki web site at least.

I also notice that when I engage the 4x4 the front wheels spin more then the rear and I figure this is because of the engine and transmission swap, and the fact that they don't line up. Does anybody know where to find these final drives for the maruti Gypsy? I am finding it hard to find parts online or on the island of Malta.
Old 28th August 2012, 12:51   #7
BHPian

Re: My new Gypsy so many questions - Changing the gear ratios

I have bought a Gypsy King with Nissan CD17 engine, mated to the stock 5 speed gear box. The main problems is that the engine rev a lot after 70 KMPH speed even in top gear and it seems like need of one more gear . I understand well that petrol engine is a high RPM engine as against diesel's low RPM engine and hence this problem is occurring.

I am sure this problem can be sorted out to some extend if I am able to change the final ratio (tail and crown ratio of differential). Need to have your opinion and advice related to the available options to change the final ratio of Gypsy King. Note that my car current rubber size is 215x75 R 15.

Last edited by DesertKing : 28th August 2012 at 13:01.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks