Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th April 2008, 20:38   #16
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashthedivx View Post
People using CNG/LPG on thier veichle have a tendency of not to take care of their veichle. I am very sure and personally experiencing no power loss as i do take care of my as a regular petrol car i.e regular services, daily 3-4 KM petrol commuting, do not avoid any type small niggles.

It is valid in those cases which do not take care of their cars.
Cool bro. I also do the same 4-5 km on Petrol then CNG. Regular Services, Intially i use to do at 5k KM, but due to time shortage, I change my Engine oil at 5k KM and regular service at around 7-8k KM. 79K KM Done and still it is good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by neo_trace View Post
well its not like tuning box but box has different switches by which we can set diff. timing advance for spark shots.
very high advanced timing means more quick pickup and high CNG consumption and tendency to get engine heat problem in lower RPM and lower gear (when usually knocking takes place in petrol engine)

My '99 honda city has
1st setting 12 degree advance timing .gr8 pickup at even 196000kms done
but engine got hot in just 2 kms drive test
then i have tried 9,8,6 degrees then set to 6 degrees now car is not getting hot.

kit installer said this only happens in OLD gen cars like type 1 honda but not in type 2

so install it and set and check diff . setting and adjust required timing advance
Sounds Interesting. Can u show the picture of the device?
Old 5th April 2008, 20:41   #17
BHPian

How about Installing CAI for CNG? It will surely increase the performance. What do you say guys?
Old 5th April 2008, 21:08   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
- Combustion of CNG is smoother as it has high octane content.
If I had deduced correctly from reading other modification threads, by increasing the piston length greater compression ratio is achieved and I think the torque produced will be more. (1)
And high octane fuels are required to cope up the increase in the compression ratio to prevent knocking. (1)

Modders can you put some light on this?? viper??.... psycho???

(1) read somewhere around here.

raj.
Old 6th April 2008, 00:31   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkr2k2 View Post
If I had deduced correctly from reading other modification threads, by increasing the piston length greater compression ratio is achieved and I think the torque produced will be more. (1)
And high octane fuels are required to cope up the increase in the compression ratio to prevent knocking. (1)

Modders can you put some light on this?? viper??.... psycho???

(1) read somewhere around here.

raj.
How about this?

Lambda + Advancer + Emulator + CAI = Make the car runs as if it is running on petrol.

Last edited by Gangsta : 6th April 2008 at 00:34.
Old 6th April 2008, 04:02   #20
Senior - BHPian

hmm Gangsta, dekho my presumption was as follows:
a. If the mods are just to get a kick once in a while, that is enough by switching back
b. If someone was to do 80-100km in a day, then yeh delhi traffic vaat maar dega, or you'd have a driver - either case same funda as above esp since i'm a firm believer in keeping things stock with such huge driving.

but i understand where you're coming from - and am glued. Have been using CNG since 2000-01 and both our cars are CNG, so I completely vouch for the cost savings
Old 6th April 2008, 09:37   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
hmm Gangsta, dekho my presumption was as follows:
a. If the mods are just to get a kick once in a while, that is enough by switching back
b. If someone was to do 80-100km in a day, then yeh delhi traffic vaat maar dega, or you'd have a driver - either case same funda as above esp since i'm a firm believer in keeping things stock with such huge driving.

but i understand where you're coming from - and am glued. Have been using CNG since 2000-01 and both our cars are CNG, so I completely vouch for the cost savings
lol..!! You know Delhi man. What kinda traffic is there on the roads. But i always have Alternative roads with me to over come the traffic. In the office hours, ring road from Dhaula Kuan to Ashram. Oh man!! You know how much time it takes via ring road but i have alternative route which not many people knows. In the office hours rush like 9 AM to 10 AM, it takes hardly 10 min. for me to reach Moolchand from Dhaula Kuan. lol So, traffic is not a big issue and i hate to stop in the jams, once a find a jam i can take a slight longer route i.e Alternative one.

I love to drive my baby so no point of opting for a Driver

and I have to go Ghaziabad or Greater Noida, So, I need to be fast in covering up such long routes daily.

For me it takes like 40 min. to reach Ghaziabad from Vikas Puri Area, New Delhi, You can imagine, i don't like hitting brakes frequently. "Hella" loud horn and quick response (not negligible) do the trick for me. So, I need Quick Response in my car too, i get it if it is on petrol. That's why i'm looking for some alternatives.

Its not 80-100 km, but its 100-150 km. Thats a lot and the best thing is its not hitting my pocket.
Old 6th April 2008, 14:36   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by neo_trace View Post
well its not like tuning box but box has different switches by which we can set diff. timing advance for spark shots.
very high advanced timing means more quick pickup and high CNG consumption and tendency to get engine heat problem in lower RPM and lower gear (when usually knocking takes place in petrol engine)

My '99 honda city has
1st setting 12 degree advance timing .gr8 pickup at even 196000kms done
but engine got hot in just 2 kms drive test
then i have tried 9,8,6 degrees then set to 6 degrees now car is not getting hot.
It sounds great, Can you post some pics to make the idea clearer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gangsta View Post
Petrol in delhi is around 45-47 Rs running 100 km on big engines like 1.5-1.6L how much mileage will it give ? 10-12-13 kmpl max for a stock car.
for 100 km a day you need to spend 400-500 Rs a day.

What about CNG? Kit will cost you around 40k including 14 KG cyl.
CNG is Rs 18.90 per KG in Delhi.
My cost for CNG on my car, Rs 1.10 Per KM on AC.
For 100 km just 100-110 Rs spent a day.

Big difference mate. Petrol costs me 5 times the cost of CNG. In this huge difference, i had already covered up the cost for my kit and now enjoying my car.
Just my idea of getting the CNG installed i commute on an average around 80-100 Kms as day which includes daily commutation between Model Town - Nehru Palace (to & fro) + some regular unskipped visits to co. dealers and distributors.

Quote:
Hoho!! really enjoyed reading this one. I have 2 queries for you bro.
1. Seriously modded CNG vehicals? What type of Mods? Share some gyan on that part too.
2. One should change engine oil after every 7000-8000k km. I do change it. Now my baby had done 79k KM. CNG Installed at around 27-28k KM. I don't remember but it was something like that. Ran my babe around 50k km old on CNG, Still when i switch over to petrol it is WOW
1. As you said, seriously modded CNG veichles are one with revamped ECUs and trubos.
2. What other mods do you have on your car ?

Quote:
Now, I had installed a Timing Device for CNG, Not Lambda but a Timing Device. It is good, Oh man, lemme cross 1.5k RPM on CNG and then zoom, Not as good as petrol but not bad either. This Lag till 1.5k RPM. I wanna finish this thing too.
From where did you got it installed, how much was the cost involved. Mine either good on CNG

Quote:
70k Rs is too much for this ECU thing. I had installed an Advance Timer Device worth Rs 2300, I'm not sure what it exactly do but the guy who installed it said, it optimises the timing for the vehicals running on CNG. I really like it, really Power loss is not much i cant even feel if my car is on cng or petrol but after 1.5k rpm.
This is something all together a different thing mate, it is something another kit which is different one of ours. Do not misunderstand it with ECU thing
Old 6th April 2008, 14:45   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
lol..!! You know Delhi man. What kinda traffic is there on the roads. But i always have Alternative roads with me to over come the traffic. In the office hours, ring road from Dhaula Kuan to Ashram. Oh man!! You know how much time it takes via ring road but i have alternative route which not many people knows. In the office hours rush like 9 AM to 10 AM, it takes hardly 10 min. for me to reach Moolchand from Dhaula Kuan. lol So, traffic is not a big issue and i hate to stop in the jams, once a find a jam i can take a slight longer route i.e Alternative one.

I love to drive my baby so no point of opting for a Driver

and I have to go Ghaziabad or Greater Noida, So, I need to be fast in covering up such long routes daily.

For me it takes like 40 min. to reach Ghaziabad from Vikas Puri Area, New Delhi, You can imagine, i don't like hitting brakes frequently. "Hella" loud horn and quick response (not negligible) do the trick for me. So, I need Quick Response in my car too, i get it if it is on petrol. That's why i'm looking for some alternatives.

Its not 80-100 km, but its 100-150 km. Thats a lot and the best thing is its not hitting my pocket.
LOL, its always good to have proper route knowledge it doesn't even saves time for you but also give you an edge over "aam janta"

Driver and fast car is something two opposite things for me. Driver is for driving dad's innova only.

I do not drive so fast, but yes i do not shy to drive real fast when required
Old 6th April 2008, 15:11   #24
Senior - BHPian

Why worry about modding a cng when you can do the same in a petrol car and a cng car in first place is a converted petrol one.Modding a petrol car is cheaper and regarding the petrol to be converted to cng itself incurs cost.I believe there aren't much cng cars build as cng ones.Most of them are converted ones.
So is this thread worth a discussion?
ram
Old 7th April 2008, 22:32   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ram_hyundai View Post
Why worry about modding a cng when you can do the same in a petrol car and a cng car in first place is a converted petrol one.Modding a petrol car is cheaper and regarding the petrol to be converted to cng itself incurs cost.I believe there aren't much cng cars build as cng ones.Most of them are converted ones.
ram
Ram,

I do admit your point but here we are discussing mods which can be done to a CNG Car, which not only make it as peppy as a petrol car but something which can make any similar segment petrol car shy-off.

Still keeping the running costs under control.

Cheers
Old 8th April 2008, 11:29   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by directinjection View Post
Power loss in CNG mode is reduced considerably if the kit has automatic timing advancer.

The latest type of CNG/LPG kit is the one with sequential gas injection and gives even better performance. The kit comes with its own ECU and involves least interference with the vehicle's existing fuel supply system. Costs around Rs. 70,000/-. It reduces pollution even further.
Quote:
70k Rs is too much for this ECU thing. I had installed an Advance Timer Device worth Rs 2300, I'm not sure what it exactly do but the guy who installed it said, it optimises the timing for the vehicals running on CNG. I really like it, really Power loss is not much i cant even feel if my car is on cng or petrol but after 1.5k rpm.
70K is not the cost of timing advancer. It's the cost of the entire kit, the one based on sequential gas injection. Euro-IV and above engines require it but it can be fitted to Euro-III engines too. Gives still better performance. It comes with its own independent ECU.
Old 8th April 2008, 12:32   #27
Senior - BHPian

Still dont feel its worth the penny.Money spend on the support elements would be enough to plonk in a turbo in a petrol car,Anyways lets continue.
ram
Old 9th April 2008, 07:31   #28
BHPian

Quote:
This is something all together a different thing mate, it is something another kit which is different one of ours. Do not misunderstand it with ECU thing
Yes, i know it is very much different from mine. But i was telling that i spent 2.5K Rs on Timing Advancer. I really don't know the performance of your car using the kit you mentioned. So, i cant compare.

Quote:
ram
Quote:
Still dont feel its worth the penny.Money spend on the support elements would be enough to plonk in a turbo in a petrol car,Anyways lets continue.
ram
Ram bro. it is very much worth the penny, You save a lot of money on CNG. Rest Apart from the standard kit worth 32-40k for CNG, it is still the worth to do few performance mods on CNG to reduce the power loss.

What if after Plonking the turbo in a petrol car, the mileage will reduce. CNG is for the people whos running is too much. It saves a lot of money mate.

As written above, If we wanna make a petrol car peppy a diesel car peppy, Why not a CNG car?
Old 9th April 2008, 07:33   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by directinjection View Post
70K is not the cost of timing advancer. It's the cost of the entire kit, the one based on sequential gas injection. Euro-IV and above engines require it but it can be fitted to Euro-III engines too. Gives still better performance. It comes with its own independent ECU.
what if CNG is over and you wanna run your car on petrol. Which ECU will be used? the CNG one or the stock one? after switching over to petrol it will give the same performance?
Old 9th April 2008, 12:28   #30
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
what if CNG is over and you wanna run your car on petrol. Which ECU will be used? the CNG one or the stock one? after switching over to petrol it will give the same performance?
You can switch over from CNG to petrol or vice versa whenever you want. In petrol mode, the original ECU works ensuring that you get the same performance you got before fitment of CNG. In CNG mode, the kit's ECU works. In either mode you get optimal performance because of dedicated and independent ECUs.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks