Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 3rd April 2008, 14:23   #1
BANNED

Performance Mods for Esteem Lx 1997 model

Hi Buddies,

I need your help here... i am looking to modify my Esteem looking at free flowing filter and exhaust for the same...

What do you suggest - is it a good idea to fix the same to an old car?

Where in delhi can i get these? and lastly the cost involved for the same?

------

Please let me know

Thanks
Udit
Old 3rd April 2008, 14:35   #2
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by udit78 View Post
Hi Buddies,

I need your help here... i am looking to modify my Esteem looking at free flowing filter and exhaust for the same...

What do you suggest - is it a good idea to fix the same to an old car?

Where in delhi can i get these? and lastly the cost involved for the same?

------

Please let me know

Thanks
Udit
Filters and free flows are good to start off with in terms of performance mods and i didnt get your question if it can be done on an old car. Ofcourse it can be done on an old car as long as the engine is in good shape . Get used to these mods initially and if you still crave for more then there is a lot more that you can do depending on how much more power you want to build up and how much you are willing to shell out.

Leave it to the delhi T-Bhpians to help you out with where to get them and how much they cost.
Old 3rd April 2008, 15:15   #3
Senior - BHPian

Udit, there are plenty of threads on this topic. Please search.
Old 3rd April 2008, 15:17   #4
BANNED

May be there but i am specifically asking for Esteem 1997 model... i.e. 10 year old car
Old 3rd April 2008, 16:11   #5
Senior - BHPian

as suggested by rotorhead, get the headers, FFE & a K&N filter installed first. Enjoy that setup for a while. as long as your engine is in good shape, there should be no problem with doing these things. As far as pricing is concerned for the headers & FFE, check this thread.
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...s-ffe-car.html
Old 3rd April 2008, 18:11   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

Moderator's note: Please use the search function and you'll find a goldmine of knowledge regarding all modifications possible.

Thread closed.
Old 14th February 2010, 21:10   #7
BHPian

2000 Model Carb Esteem Help Needed (Performance Side)

Hi guys,

I own a 2000 model carb Esteem VX (completely modified to 2007 model Esteem in 2008).

Refer to this link for the exterior changes I made:-
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modifi...tion-help.html

These pics are very recent

Current ODO reads 86500kms. The car body and exterior condition even after almost two years (after modification ) is holding really good and most people (even pros) cant recognize its a modified Esteem since I re-regd to Kerala from Karnataka

Off late I have been facing a few problems with the engine for which I need help from the forum. I have made quite a few visits to workshops with these issues and my 'reliable' mechanic who had done those modification works at the first place says, after all its a 10yr old car and I have to live with it! :(

But Iam not ready to take the theory. I just dont think it cant be repaired. So I need suggestions from you guys plz.

1) While releasing the accelerator pedal while in 1st 2nd or 3rd gear the car jerks BADLY. sudden press down on the pedal also results in severe jerking.

2) Mileage on highway which had been around 12-13 has now dropped to 10-11 (All with A/c). In fact these days in mixed driving conditions Iam gettin a meagure 7-8 kmpl mileage. i.e 500rs petrol it runs just 70-80kms.

3) Overall pickup of the car has decreased. I understand the fact that this is not the 85bhp motor like the MPFi esteem, still the car was a gem till almost an year back. These problems came in very recently and my mechanic saying its due to the 86000kms run and age of the car which is quite 'natural'.

As of now tried changing, filters, sparks, cleaning carb, nozzles etc. Nothing works. still jerking and acceleration not smooth. engine though is still ok wrt refinement.

SO guy please suggest what I need to do, whom to consult (in Cochin).

Since its a 1.3 L Carb Esteem, I heard its easy to power tune her. Is it easy enough? And with the current problems will things worsen? Will a good modification guy be able to rectify ALL these probs AND increase performance which I badly need with stuffs like power filter FFE etc? Since I use car rarely AND the fact that the current mileage is only around 9 (mixed), I guess doing mods wont make a whole lot of difference! rite? Having spent around Rs.40-50k in exterior mods 2 yrs back and car otherwise still in great condition (considering its a 10yr old one), and some sentiments attached, I wanna keep this one for atleast 2 more yrs, which I want it to be atleast fun filled, NOT a lazy boy like this who jerks and drinks fuel :(

plzzzzzzzzzz help!
Old 14th February 2010, 23:03   #8
BHPian

Does your car gives white smoke on starting the engine? If yes, then the piston rings need a replacement. Get the compression checked at A.S.S.. if reqd get a genuine maruti half engine. Also heard that old carbs sometimes also need some sort of machining after many years of use. Also your car may have a distributor, get that checked & timing adjusted.. My two cents, best of luck..
Old 14th February 2010, 23:47   #9
BHPian

Check the catalytic convertor - it might have gone kaput - making the exhaust more restrictive .

Solution is to either get rid of it (cut open cat-con and remove whatever's inside it - not recommended as its not the _right_ thing to do) or replace the catcon(around 3k INR ) .

About the car jerking - there can be lots of reasons- go to a good MASS or mechanic and get it checked . If your mechanic cannot fix - do give a good(this is important!) MASS a chance - the knowledge they have about their cars simply cannot be matched.
Old 15th February 2010, 08:02   #10
BHPian

I am reluctant to go to A.S.S due to one single reason - The carb alone costs around 7k!!! The value of my car is under 1 lac so don wanna end up spending too much. That is the reason why Iam looking for performance mods so that atleast I get a feeling I got something 'better'.

@piyush78:
I havent noticed white smoke yet while starting. whats a half engine? used one? is it the whole engine and gearbox assembly or just the cyl, crank case and piston? how much ll it cost? and can i get a mpfi half engine (just being too optimistic)?

@techn0l0gist:
cat con was a godo piece of info. will check out that.

Anyways since u people suggested I think I have to get to Popular, the best A.S.S for maruti here in cochin. But then tell you what, the last time I had a severe engine oil leak (induced by foolish mechanics at A.S.S during a service), my local mechanic was the one who fixed it. A.S.S had ruled out the possibility of even fixing it!
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks