Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th April 2008, 21:54   #1

Hi Friends, need advice on Innova and Trip in India.

Thinking of buying Toyota Innova VM 8S (Diesel) in India. Now I am a Honda CR-V user in Abu Dhabi- UAE.
I need your advice in buying some accessories form here for my new car.
1. Head light - what kind of head light fits Innova ?
2. Horn – the best one?
3. Music system with rear view camera. Anything that goes perfect with Innova.
4. Sub Woofer “Shallow-Mount" which goes under the driver’s seat. Any one tried?
5. Any Security systems????? (Innova comes with one , How good is this)
6. Any important gadget I forgot about????
7. I got a Bluetooth GPS and HTC TyTn I am working on the Indian Map also. Any advice?
Planning to go on a long trip – from Coimbatore to Mumbai via Kerala and Goa. I have gone through much discussion covering this topic. I would like to know about the state now..
Road conditions, and inter changing states (should I be aware of anything like the Police, check posts, any permits from ministry, things like this???)
A nice clean place to stay in Goa (medium range) with good Parking ( I am not really interested in beaches , I think Goa has got a lot more than Beaches and I was born and brought up in a coastal village near Kanyakumari).
One more important thing, how safe is this route? Reason for asking this is because I will be the only male accompanying My Wife and children 12, 6, 4 ages. (I will be driving by myself, I don’t have any problem driving in India but I have never gone out of Tamil Nadu)
I am open to your advice.
Pardon me if I bored you with my questions.
Old 9th April 2008, 22:29   #2
Senior - BHPian

Planning to go on a long trip – from Coimbatore to Mumbai via Kerala and Goa. I have gone through much discussion covering this topic. I would like to know about the state now..
Road conditions, and inter changing states (should I be aware of anything like the Police, check posts, any permits from ministry, things like this???)
A nice clean place to stay in Goa (medium range) with good Parking ( I am not really interested in beaches , I think Goa has got a lot more than Beaches and I was born and brought up in a coastal village near Kanyakumari).
One more important thing, how safe is this route? Reason for asking this is because I will be the only male accompanying My Wife and children 12, 6, 4 ages. (I will be driving by myself, I don’t have any problem driving in India but I have never gone out of Tamil Nadu)

Route from Coimbatore to Bombay via Kerala & Goa:

Coimbatore-Palakkad-Calicut-Kannur-Kasargod-Mangalore-Udupi-Kundapura-Honavar-Kumta-Karwar-Madgaon-Panaji-Mapusa-Savantwadi-Kanakavalli-Rajapur-Hathkamba-Chiplun-Khed-Mahad-Pen-Panvel-Bombay

From Calicut, it is one NH17 highway all the way.

Currently, road conditions are bad between Coimbatore and Palakkad.
Traffic is slow between Calicut and Kannur
No bypass in Palakkad town.
Calicut has a bypass, as do all other towns thereafter.
Facilities are good.
No issues of safety, day or night.
Keep all original vehicle documents.
Have always faced problems in Karnataka-Goa border, never got through without paying a small unofficial fee.
Pay those small "fees" to cops en route (but never offer first) in case they ask for "chai paani" - that is the path of least resistance - does not matter whether you are right or wrong.
One common problem I have faced when driving a UV is that one is suspected of running a taxi without a commercial license, but since you are driving with only family, you should get through even if stopped by extortionist cops.
Don't drive Goa-Bombay by night.
States en route - TN, Kerala, Pondicherry (Mahe), Kerala, Karnataka, Goa, Maharashtra.
No checking or stopping at check posts, but beware that you are not permitted to carry liquor out of Goa - sometimes, you have surprise checks by cops in Maharashtra after crossing thye border.

Several places en route - beaches, temples, etc - Bekal Fort (between Kanhangad and Kasargod), Ullal Beach, Malpe Beach (Udupi), Udupi Temple, Maravanthe Beach (after Kundapura), Kollur Temple (detour from Baindur), Murudeshwar Temple (after Bhatkal), Om Beach (Gokarna, off Ankola), severla beaches in Maharashtra (notably Tarkarli off Kudal, Ganapatipule off Hathkamba, near Ratnagiri), and maybe a 40-km detyour to Mahabaleshwar hill station (off Phaladpur before Mahad).
Old 9th April 2008, 23:26   #3
BANNED

Congratulations on your new car. You've chosen something perfect for our country. Enjoy!

Let me try and answer your questions one by one.
1. The Innova sold in Middle east is of the same body type. The headlights are exactly the same except the black tint on the indicators here. We have fitted it with the headlights brought from UAE to have that same clean look.
What I'm trying to say is, any kind of fancy lighting available there for the Innova will fit here too. But, my recommendation is to stick to the stock Toyota HL assemblies and try upgrading to better rated bulbs. Cheap, aftermarket Xenons/HIDs are better avoided.

2. Roots Vibrosonic is the best highway horn as far as I prefer. You can add a windtone for incity uses too. Hella redgrills are good too, but they're hardly repairable if gone wrong. Bosch also makes some good ones.
Try and place the horn as close to the bumpers and far away from the engine firewall/interiors.

3. ICE! (rubs both hands in glee, wicked smile) In Car Entertainment!
HU will depend on what you want to spend. I would recommend you to get an Alpine IVA505 or 205. Both are dual din and will fit in perfectly in the Innova with a bit of finishing touches. They can be connected to many rear view cameras.

4. First of all check out the ICE section of TeamBHP. There're some very good Innova installation threads. Especially, one with ID subwoofer put under driver seat. Take a look.
This again, depends on your budget. Cheap alternative would be to get a Pioneer shallow mount sub, box etc... and connect it to a decent amp. Thump thump you can go! But then, We'll be forgetting music here. If you want things to be a bit more musical, then there're options from JBL, Infinity, Bull Audio, Alpine, Hertz, ID etc...

5. The V spec comes with it's own security system and Immobiliser. Good enough. Use it and see. If it ain't that satisfying, go for some after market one. Nippon is a good brand I prefer.

6. What about a Pete's tuning box? I'm speaking about PSI tuning box.

7. If you're planning to travel a lot around the Indian soil, I would recommend you stay out of GPS solutions for now. You can only get to many parts by experience or Word of mouth. LOL!

Have a nice holiday.
Old 9th April 2008, 23:47   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajujey View Post
I am open to your advice.
Pardon me if I bored you with my questions.
I can assure you that there is no devil on the highways as long as you anticipate the unexpected & drive cautiously. And for the record, there are no Robin Hoods either, if that is what you are scared of. Anyway, leave your jewels behind.
Old 9th April 2008, 23:57   #5
Senior - BHPian

....and carry cash, don't expect credit card esablishments.
Old 10th April 2008, 00:21   #6

Thanks kumar and Speedzak for your detailed reply.
While returning should i take the same route?

Thanks esteem lover, I will not be carrying any Jewels.

Speedzak can you recomend me any rear view camera ? i mean Brand and mount type ?

Note from the Support Staff: Posts merged. Please use Edit / Multi-Quote. Announcements!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks