Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th April 2008, 02:55   #1
BHPian

Souping up the Swift DDiS Turbo-Is it possible?

Hey Guys How is it going?
With so many of our BHPians Turbo'ing their rides and Vikram the latest to join the Turbo tribe i have a few queries.

Keeping in mind a few constants:-

1. Only reffering to the DDiS Multijet(Diesel Varient Swift-With Factory Fitted Turbo).
2. I understand the Swift DDiS comes with a FGT.
3. Following is only after installing a CAI kit and a FFE.
4. Not willing to modify internals like lighter cams, forged internals, except for a clutch as i feel the Swift has a weak clutch.

Now for the queries:-

1. Is it possible to push up boost to 8psi(considering thats the max one should go with stock internals ), i guess stock is 6psi, by modding the ECU or with a piggyback? And does 1 or 2psi increase makes a difference in performance?
2. Does a Pete's Tuning Box only modify the AFR, timing etc or does it also increase turbo boost?
3. Will a larger intercooler help in performance and efficiency of the engine.(By Efficiency i am not reffering to fuel efficiency).
4. And lastly with a CAI and FFE in place can the Pete's Box be set to the second stage?(If any body has approx. output figures of BHP and Torque.)

So all the gurus and BHPians out there please put in ur views and knowledge and i guess your answers will help those who are tight on budget and looking for soft mods to their diesel Swifts.

Thanks a ton guys!

Last edited by abhik : 19th April 2008 at 03:01.
Old 19th April 2008, 09:51   #2
Senior - BHPian

I am not a guru in this case but AFAIK FFE in a diesel is not easy job.Have never seen one till date and not much of them in India.Rest of the said mods seems ok.
ram
Old 19th April 2008, 09:56   #3
Senior - BHPian

Pete box only modifies AFR, not boost. A larger intercooler always helps, as there is a larger ares [volume also] to cool the intake air. and having a FFE [ the car will be noisy]and CAI helps with the +2 stage on pete's box [ fuel consumption increases though].

Last edited by dinar : 19th April 2008 at 09:57.
Old 19th April 2008, 11:42   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by ram_hyundai View Post
I am not a guru in this case but AFAIK FFE in a diesel is not easy job.Have never seen one till date and not much of them in India.Rest of the said mods seems ok.
ram
We have a Diesel Uno in bombay running around on an automech FFE. It belongs to a fellow BHPian..
Old 19th April 2008, 11:59   #5
Senior - BHPian

the FFE will be more noisy than the ones in petrol cars..and a turbo car's headers should not be messed with since it may affect the air flow to the turbo..
Old 19th April 2008, 14:01   #6
rippergeo

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhik View Post
3. Following is only after installing a CAI kit and a FFE.
FFE has not been done by anyone yet, on the forum, and the general opinion is that its not worth the trouble.
2. Does a Pete's Tuning Box only modify the AFR, timing etc or does it also increase turbo boost?
AFAIK,The tuning box is supposed to change only the injection timings. no concrete reference there. I'm going by what more knowledgeable members have said
It definitely does not change the turbo settings.
3. Will a larger intercooler help in performance and efficiency of the engine.(By Efficiency i am not reffering to fuel efficiency).
I've been thinking about this too
4. And lastly with a CAI and FFE in place can the Pete's Box be set to the second stage?(If any body has approx. output figures of BHP and Torque.)
You dont need the FFE to go to 2nd or 3rd stage, the box has been optimised for performance in 2 and 3 with just the CAI as add on.
before anyone jumps on me, I'm no guru, just trying to wring the max out of my swift.
PM peter for details.
also-mclaren1885 has an interesting project going on a DDIS. but he's awful tight-lipped about it

Old 19th April 2008, 17:46   #7

DTE tuning box
Pipercross Air filter
Old 19th April 2008, 20:19   #8
BHPian

Guys Thanks for the response, as far as the FFE is concerned, i was aware of the fact that Diesel Turbo headers should not be touched unless in the hands of a expert so maybe a cat-back would do?
And if i understand correct stage 2 and 3 on the Pete's is one own will to set and does not depend on state of mods?
Gurus your inputs are required and awaited.
Old 19th April 2008, 20:36   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anant_n1 View Post
DTE tuning box
Pipercross Air filter
Bro is the DTE available throughout India and DTE is the one from U.K right? With 9 or more different settings? How much does it cost?

Pipercross CAI kits were earlier disscussed elsewhere in the forum to be suitable for drags and not a mix of city traffic and highway driving as performance is delivered in the powerband only and in the city, keeping the engine in the powerband for long is rarely possible due to increasing traffic, lack of space and road conditions.
Old 20th April 2008, 01:11   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhik View Post
Bro is the DTE available throughout India and DTE is the one from U.K right? With 9 or more different settings? How much does it cost?

Pipercross CAI kits were earlier disscussed elsewhere in the forum to be suitable for drags and not a mix of city traffic and highway driving as performance is delivered in the powerband only and in the city, keeping the engine in the powerband for long is rarely possible due to increasing traffic, lack of space and road conditions.
I disagree. Pipercross is quite good. Though in reality changing the arifilter doesnt really make that much of a difference.
Old 20th April 2008, 03:51   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTA View Post
Though in reality changing the arifilter doesnt really make that much of a difference.
Try it and see. It makes a crapload of difference on a turbodiesel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rippergeo View Post
also-mclaren1885 has an interesting project going on a DDIS. but he's awful tight-lipped about it
Lol, is that so? How come we never hear about this stuff?
Old 20th April 2008, 06:57   #12
rippergeo

@vip3r- what is mclaren1885's signature referring to?

The gas she exhales is meeting a new friend!!!
is he talking about the boost controller?

Last edited by rippergeo : 20th April 2008 at 07:00.

Old 20th April 2008, 09:24   #13
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ram_hyundai View Post
ram
Drifter on the forum had one on his Hyundai Accent CRDi. I don't know if it makes any difference in performance.
Old 20th April 2008, 10:58   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Wow! Hehehehe...... lol

Are you sure it's the car....
Old 20th April 2008, 11:12   #15
BHPian

Quote:
@vip3r- what is mclaren1885's signature referring to?

is he talking about the boost controller?
i was also wondering what he is up to.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks