Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st April 2008, 15:00   #31
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mclaren1885 View Post
Could you elaborate? How would it be safer on a NA car and not on an already TCed car? Id rather prefer treading into known waters than unknown.
You got me wrong..I am talking about tcing petrol rather than diesel.

The job is not complete just by removing the stock TC and bolting a larger TC. Diesel are more complex. There will be lot of lag and many other consideration. like heat etc which me end up frying the engine.

I feel tuning a petrol motor is lot easier.
Old 21st April 2008, 18:14   #32
Senior - BHPian

1. The Pete's box is a good option with an air filter
2. The electronic add on that Rahul is talking about is under testing at the moment hence no talks of it for the moment
3. Clutches are definitely going to be a big problem sourcing.
4. I thought VGT's were designed to increase the performance range of a turbo and help get rid of the lag?
5. One of the CRDi's biggest problem is the limitation of the injectors to handle additional boost as even today not all of us are aware of the fueling theory (boost vs injection) as they are direct injection engines. This will take time till we can learn and program these ecu's.
6. Turning up the boost is an ok option as I would believe that the engineers would have left room for at least 20% more boost in place. Beyond that since it is a direct injection engine there could be disastrous effects if it goes lean.
Old 21st April 2008, 18:31   #33
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (10)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psycho View Post
2. The electronic add on that Rahul is talking about is under testing at the moment hence no talks of it for the moment
I hear they are going to be out in the markets rather soon. Would love to test them though. Sounds very tempting at the price they are going to be sold at.

Quote:
3. Clutches are definitely going to be a big problem sourcing.
Maybe, you should let us in on your source for the clutches from the US .
Quote:
4. I thought VGT's were designed to increase the performance range of a turbo and help get rid of the lag?
When I referred to lag I meant wrt to a non-vgt bigger turbo. Because finding the right VGT turbos could pose a problem. However one could possibly run the turbo of a Tdi on a Ddis. Though I have not seen the TC on the Ddis, the one on the skoda is the size of my palm.
Old 22nd April 2008, 19:07   #34
BHPian

I guess EXEDY makes aftermarket cluthes for the Swift?

And the new DDiS(same engine, now tuned) which is to come in is a 90BHP VGT mill so maybe that migt be of some use as i guess the current ECU would have been remapped.

FGT&VGT are these on a mechanical control or electronic, i.e if its electronic then can a FGT be converted into a VGT?
Old 23rd April 2008, 01:34   #35
Senior - BHPian

most have many odd vanes and some have sliding noozle to control the opening. So I guess they are mechincal devices.
Old 23rd April 2008, 05:45   #36
BHPian

Quote:
5. One of the CRDi's biggest problem is the limitation of the injectors to handle additional boost as even today not all of us are aware of the fueling theory (boost vs injection) as they are direct injection engines. This will take time till we can learn and program these ecu's.
6. Turning up the boost is an ok option as I would believe that the engineers would have left room for at least 20% more boost in place. Beyond that since it is a direct injection engine there could be disastrous effects if it goes lean.
Can you please elaborate ? If my assumption is right you are saying that after a point the injectors are not able to inject more fuel to compensate for the increased air that is now entering the engine. Can we not fit in injectors of the 90 BHP version of this engine used in the Linea which have the capability to supply more fuel due to the fact that they fire more no. of times per main injection.

Last edited by revvedup : 23rd April 2008 at 05:52.
Old 23rd April 2008, 15:31   #37
BANNED

Quote:
Really curious what this is all about ??
Old 23rd April 2008, 16:48   #38
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by revvedup View Post
Can you please elaborate ? If my assumption is right you are saying that after a point the injectors are not able to inject more fuel to compensate for the increased air that is now entering the engine. Can we not fit in injectors of the 90 BHP version of this engine used in the Linea which have the capability to supply more fuel due to the fact that they fire more no. of times per main injection.

Based on what I have read CRDi engines tend to use a high pressure fuel pump and use a common rail to pump in fuel to the injectors at extremely high pressures. The injectors are fired multiple times to get the desired quantity of fuel into the cylinder this is what I am assuming is a limiting factor to the additional quantity of fuel going into the system.(I may be wrong here please educate me if I am.)

As far as the add on modules that you get tend to increase fuel pressure and also some units tend to increase the injection pulse duration to increase the power output of the engine.
Old 23rd April 2008, 19:59   #39
BHPian

Quote:
Based on what I have read CRDi engines tend to use a high pressure fuel pump and use a common rail to pump in fuel to the injectors at extremely high pressures. The injectors are fired multiple times to get the desired quantity of fuel into the cylinder this is what I am assuming is a limiting factor to the additional quantity of fuel going into the system.(I may be wrong here please educate me if I am.)

As far as the add on modules that you get tend to increase fuel pressure and also some units tend to increase the injection pulse duration to increase the power output of the engine.
If we increase the size of the fuel injectors, then the pressure with which they inject the fuel will decrease, because of the increased area, right? So even the fuel pump needs to be tweaked I guess.
Old 23rd April 2008, 21:17   #40
BHPian

hey khaadu all the suspense will come to an end once the testing is over,the manufacturer(genius) will unveil it soon,cheers,happy revvin..!
Old 23rd April 2008, 22:42   #41
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

The part of a High pressure pump used to pressurize the rail is correct. The multiple injection are used to reduce the noise created by DI engine due to fuel exploding, they are called pre injection [used to ignite the fuel slowly ] so the noise is reduced,thats why the new peizo injectors are used on High end cars[they have low response time] and are good for upto 5 injection per cycle. The firmware is deigned so that they only required fuel is brunt including the preinjection.
The peggy back systems are designed mostly to fool the ECM in thinking the pressure in the rail has dropped and so it tends modify the signals to maintain the pressure in the rail, this inturn adds little more fuel in the cylinders.some are designed to modify the signal from the ecm to the injectors itself and vary the injection pulses.
Old 24th April 2008, 03:13   #42
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragger View Post
hey khaadu all the suspense will come to an end once the testing is over,the manufacturer(genius) will unveil it soon,cheers,happy revvin..!
Well, any idea by when should we expect the product to be revealed ?? Just wondering if its in teh near future as my Vdi needs a lil tweaking and Im wondering what to do -- and as Psycho too seems pretty excited about this product , Ill just wait and see what it really is as not everything excites Psycho this easily ;-) ...

Give us guys some time frame ... the ones who are in teh know how of this product !!
Old 24th April 2008, 03:51   #43
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinar View Post
The part of a High pressure pump used to pressurize the rail is correct. The multiple injection are used to reduce the noise created by DI engine due to fuel exploding, they are called pre injection [used to ignite the fuel slowly ] so the noise is reduced,thats why the new peizo injectors are used on High end cars[they have low response time] and are good for upto 5 injection per cycle. The firmware is deigned so that they only required fuel is brunt including the preinjection.
The peggy back systems are designed mostly to fool the ECM in thinking the pressure in the rail has dropped and so it tends modify the signals to maintain the pressure in the rail, this inturn adds little more fuel in the cylinders.some are designed to modify the signal from the ecm to the injectors itself and vary the injection pulses.
I was about to suggest the same thing that a piggyback can do the job of injecting more fuel or a remap might do the same but ofcourse that would be limited to the max amount that the injectors can inject fuel plus more fuel means a better fuel pump to maintain a better pressure.
Old 24th April 2008, 03:54   #44
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirAlec View Post
most have many odd vanes and some have sliding noozle to control the opening. So I guess they are mechincal devices.
So can a FGT be converted to VGT?
Old 24th April 2008, 05:15   #45
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhik View Post
So can a FGT be converted to VGT?
by convert if you mean swap out a FGT for a VGT yes
If you mean modify a FGT into a VGT then no

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks