Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th May 2008, 06:22   #1
BANNED

Changing the Swift suspension ??

Suspension gurus , I have both the diesel as well as the petrol variant of the swift . The petrol swift wears upgraded rubber -- 195/60/15 whereas the diesel variant is still shod with the original set . The petrol swift has done about 65k kms in just over two yrs whereas the diesel one has only clocked about 12k kms in the last 3 months . Just mentioning this as it may make a difference to the final answer .

The thing is that the petrol swift has always been a lil bit of a rattler/thudder when going over small potholes or uneven tarmac surfaces - this was so before I changed the foot wear even . With the upgraded set up its become a pain to even hit a small pot hole as the car makes a very solid thudding sound .

The diesel swift on the other hand glides effortlessly over the same surface .. I know that the suspension of the diesel variant has been modified a bit keeping in mind the heavier diesel engine . So far its a pleasure driving the diesel variant whenever I know Im going on a stretch that has bad uneven stretches .

My question is .. Is it possible to put the same suspension set up in the petrol variant ?? What exactly is the difference between the two set ups , is it the coils that are slightly bigger in the diesel ? And if this is possible is it possible for any guy to do it or should it be done at the Maruti dealer ? Or is it the upgraded tyre size thats leading to the bone jarring sound when tyre meets pot hole ?? If I upgrade the diesel swift also to the 195/60/15's , will that eventually cause the diesel one also to have the same effect over the same pot hole ?? Or do I just need to change something as maybe the wear and tear of something is leading to the effect .

I know its a long list of questions but has anyone tried changing the original suspension set up of the petrol swift ... if yes what did you do and did it improve ride quality ?

And lets hope ppl who really know what they talking about reply to this ... Lets keep guesses or googled suspension set up ideas be kept away !!

Cheers
Old 16th May 2008, 08:09   #2
Senior - BHPian

According to the MASS guys both the diesel & petrol variants have the same suspension setup. Basically both the struts are the same but I think they have different rating springs.

Will verify this and get back.
Old 16th May 2008, 08:16   #3
BHPian

Do a simple check by interchanging the wheels of the two cars and then drive both of them through the same stretch.

Im pretty sure the culprit is the tyre/wheel setup and not the suspension.
Old 16th May 2008, 11:36   #4
GTO
Team-BHP Support

The diesel's heavier engine will inherently give a more planted feel at the front. Also, it has stock rubber and is newer, thus gives better ride quality.

The petrol Swift has covered 65K on the stock suspension? If so, the suspension is out of the "optimal performance" window.
Old 16th May 2008, 14:27   #5
Senior - BHPian

The diesel engine is not much heavier than its petrol variant. It is only about 5 - 6kgs heavier. After having driven a diesel swift today I found that its suspension is softer than the petrol version. Maybe it is running softer springs as the shock absorber is the same as petrol.
Old 16th May 2008, 16:24   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikram_d View Post
The diesel engine is not much heavier than its petrol variant. It is only about 5 - 6kgs heavier. After having driven a diesel swift today I found that its suspension is softer than the petrol version. Maybe it is running softer springs as the shock absorber is the same as petrol.
I hear the weight is 30 kgs or 70kgs, can't remember which. And the springs would be stiffer as well.
Old 16th May 2008, 16:32   #7

Difference is around 75kgs(Gross), that will surely makes a difference
Old 18th May 2008, 20:36   #8
BHPian

I remember quite clearly that Maruti had mentioned that the front suspension of the diesel Swift has been strengthened to deal with the heavier diesel engine. I too would like to know what the differences are and if they can be implemented with a petrol Swift.
Old 18th May 2008, 23:34   #9
Team-BHP Support

Diesel has stiffer springs am not sure about the strut (shockies) ratings though. Dont try 195 15 for your hilly terrain, it will be a real shocker
Old 19th May 2008, 00:12   #10
rks
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by khaadu75 View Post
My question is .. Is it possible to put the same suspension set up in the petrol variant ?? What exactly is the difference between the two set ups , is it the coils that are slightly bigger in the diesel ? And if this is possible is it possible for any guy to do it or should it be done at the Maruti dealer ? Or is it the upgraded tyre size thats leading to the bone jarring sound when tyre meets pot hole ?? If I upgrade the diesel swift also to the 195/60/15's , will that eventually cause the diesel one also to have the same effect over the same pot hole ?? Or do I just need to change something as maybe the wear and tear of something is leading to the effect .
At 58000 kms, my Santro was showing somewhat similar behaviour. The car was thudding horribly over the smallest of bumps and further, at high speeds, began to change lanes involuntarily when hitting uneven patches around even mild corners. After service of suspension/steering components, the car is back to normal. All four shocks were replaced. Now after another 15000 kms, the suspension/steering is still in top shape.

In your case, I would suggest suspension service at an authorized outlet. The suspension life is bound to come down with your upsized wheels/tyres, and don't expect ride comfort. If your shocks have become weak, the wider tyres could be hitting the wheel well when going over bumpy stretches. Any mods on the suspension will have to be done by experts. Plonking the diesel variant's suspenion into a petrol Swift sounds like a bad idea. It would make a mockery of all the design and engineering that has gone into the suspension setup. Your high speed handling, especially while cornering, could be badly affected.

Last edited by rks : 19th May 2008 at 00:18.
Old 19th May 2008, 05:43   #11
Senior - BHPian

Are you happy with the handling of the diesel. Is the body roll more or less than the petrol.
Old 19th May 2008, 08:18   #12
Senior - BHPian

Body roll is definitely more on the diesel than on the petrol.
Old 10th November 2008, 15:06   #13
BHPian

My Swift has completed 40,000 kms, of which the last 5K have been on 205/50/16 tyres (prior to which I was running the stock 185/70/14 tyres). Needless to say, the ride has become bone jarring!

Apart from simply going for a suspension service, where MASS may replace shock absorbers or springs that are beyond their 'optimal performance window', are there any good aftermarket options? I would like to retain the handling characteristics while having a slightly less rattly/thuddy ride.
Old 10th November 2008, 17:39   #14
BANNED

i have same problem in my ALTO. very 1st day i put 165/60/13 with bridgestone potenza gIII. it was ok in the begning but after 50k all thr rattling started. and then i changed the tires to 165/65/13 enlarging the profile for the comfort ride. again it was good for 1st 3-4k kms and its again back to old rattling all over.
Old 15th May 2012, 13:43   #15
BHPian

Re: Changing the Swift suspension ??

I have a question about suspension change. My wagonR has clocked 67000 kms and my service adviser at MASS has suggested the front suspension change. What is average lifespan of factory fitted suspensions and at what interval it should be changed? MASS has quoted an approximate cost of 20K for the new shocks and other steering related work. Is the amount worth spending for a 9 year old car, though it doesn’t have any other aging signs? Is there any other alternative other than replacement?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks