Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th July 2008, 17:39   #1
BHPian

Help Required on mod jobs for Opel Astra 98 Petrol

Hi friends,

I am a very new BHPian. I am from Hyderabad. I bought a used Opel astra petrol 1.6. along with alloy wheels and wide tyres. Want to do some modifications to the body.

As soon as I got my beauty, the first thing i did was i installed a Sony Xplod amplifier 300w with two subwoofers Xplod. and I also installed a sony basic mp3 player. I also installed a few vinyls and decals. Replaced the normal spark plugs with IRX iridium spark plugs. and also installed a magnaflow free flow exhaust. I did not install a airfilter after reading the threads here. But would like to know How can I increase the visibility of the headlights. they are too dull.

I also want to do some fabrication work on my vehicles body, like installing a complete body kit. I would like to know how much would it cost and where can I find it or get the body work done.

PLEASE HELP ME OUT....FRENS......

I AM PROUD TO BE A TEAM BHPian.....cheers:
Old 30th November 2008, 16:45   #2
BHPian

Hi Racing Heart,
Any luck on the Mods that can be done on the Astra ? I own a 2002 model Astra 1.6 advantage and am keen to get some thing done to improve its performance.

Has the free flow system helped ? how much did it cost and how have you dealt with the low visibility of the headlights ?

Also , the steering is pretty hard , any clues on how it can be modded to ensure smoother handling.

Hope to hear soon.
Thx
Old 1st December 2008, 00:45   #3
BHPian

piper cams uk make high lift cams for the opel astra engine's right from the very first engine which came to our indian market numbered the 16LZ25,hope this help,cheers,happy revving..!
Old 1st December 2008, 11:09   #4
BHPian

racinghart-i would suggest to keep it elegant and classy by not over doing it,please check out ,www.kitup.co.in,they have got good designs.

Last edited by desigNation : 1st December 2008 at 11:11.
Old 1st December 2008, 16:34   #5
BHPian

I checked out kitup, the designs are good mostly, with only a few of them overdone. The quality of body kits is good, so are the grills. But they are down south.

Last edited by abhi1309 : 1st December 2008 at 16:41.
Old 2nd December 2008, 13:02   #6
BHPian

abhi1309-what i meant to say is,you can take ideas from it and get it done in pune.
Old 5th December 2008, 07:23   #7
BHPian

Hello Sidwadia

I have found that installing HID kit resolved my light issue, however the performance part was taken care by the spark plugs and Pipercross air filter. I got the Pipercross for 7000 INR, and the IRX for 1000 bucks each. As far as the steering is concerned, please check the hydraulics, I had the same issue earlier, however, a local mech fixed it and its now smooth as butter. He just charged 475 INR. Thats was lucky, ain't it.

You can mail me at vj.racinghart@gmail.com

Thank you
Old 30th October 2009, 19:52   #8
BHPian

My Car Story

Hello guys !!

I know its been a long time I have not posted anything, just browsing and reading out forums. I was kinda busy. I still remember how I bought my first car, my beauty.

Here it goes

I was in Bangalore earlier, working for a MNC. I used to see all those monster machines running on the road, and always dreamt "Wish I could have mine as well" TWO YEARS, I saved every penny possible, so that I could afford one, but as you know "Fate plays a hard game", I had to go back to my home town for some reasons. Came back to BNG and worked for two more months in the same company, and wanted a change. I moved to Hyd. I still remember the last day in BNG. I saw this Black Lambo on the road when I was in Autorickshaw, at a traffic signal. It was right next to me. I was headed to the Railway station (Yeshwanthpur). It was really awesome. I know I cannot afford it, but on a serious note, this one shook me.

I reached hyderabad, joined my new office. As I was not aware of hyderabad at that time, I did not take a risk of taking a vehicle. I was regreting myself because, now I have to wait for a month again, to find out good deals. I made some new friends. There was this guy who became a really good friend of mine. He had a Lancer.

After the first month, now that I have collected some information about the hyd, and the places where to look for a good car in hyd, I was good to go for my dream. I started looking out for news papers, carwale, Dr. Car, N number of Used car showroom. No go. Nothing would fit in my budget. I thought Hyd cars were cheaper, but it is not as easy as it looks. My friend suggested me to get a car from mumbai, and told that would help me to get one. I insisted on a AP number as i did not want to go through the re-registration process and travelling and transporation expenses (which were unnecessary for me).

On a sunday morning, I was having my coffee, watching TV. As soon as the Deccan Chronicle paper arrived, the first thing I was looking at was Automotive Classifieds section, going through Zens, 800's, Esteem, Cielo's, Matiz, Ikons, etc, calling each and every add (which fits my budget), to check what was the price. My budget to get the car was 120K. There was an AD about this Opel Astra, 98 model, petrol, 1.6, which was priced at 90K. I soon called up my friend. He arrived to my home by 9:30 AM. I was ready and waiting for him eagerly. He insisted me not to take an Astra, but still wanted to check how the car was. We started from my home. I was driving. This guy trusted me. We went to the owner. This guy had this classic green Astra. As soon as he said "Yehi gaadi hai saab", I looked at the car, and just fell in love with that car. It was like, this car stood there just for me to come and take it home. So I went ahead and , checked the interiors, paint job, engine, everything seemed to be fine. Surprisingly, this car also had factory installed alloys. I checked the Odo, and it was 74000. The owner offered a test drive, so took the vehicle for spin. The first thing I noticed was the pick up, it was pretty decent. Clutch was smooth. The gear was a bit tight, especially the reverse. Power steering and power windows were good, I was back in 20 minutes. The AC was not working. I asked the owner about the problem, it said "Gas-aan khatam ho gaya hai ji aur kuch nehi, main refill kara leta hoon" in a typical hyderabadi style. Checked for additional components. The tires had around 40% life. My friend called up a mechanic, who was there in 20 minutes, as he lived near by. He told that the engine was good, his overall rating out of 10 was 6.5. He warned that if i am not concerned about mielage, I could take this vehicle. The owner told that this car gave 10kmpl in cities, and upto 14-15 kmpl on highways. I did not believe it, but I don't know. It seemed as if this car was waiting for me. After further inspection of papers, and the car, I told him to negotiate the price. After bargaining, the deal was set to 80k, as the car had some minor works to be done. Me, the owner, and my friend went to the bank. I withdrew aroudn 120k, and gave the owner 80k. The owner said that there is approximately 10 litres of petrol left in the tank, which is like a mini bonus. The owner surprisingly invited me to his house for a tea. I refused as I was in a hurry to get to a garrage to get vehicle cleaned and for minor jobs. There was this garage nearby to my house. I spoke to the mech, and he stated that he will check the vehicle and let me know what are the fixes. In the meanwile, me and my friend grabbed a quick juice and cigarrettes. We were back at the garage. The mech told the following list:

Bushes under the gear stick - 350
Radiator cleaning - 300
Engine flushing - 200
Spark plugs change - IRX Iridium- 1000 each (Total 4000)
New oil filter - 450
Carb cleaning - 300

He told that it would take around 2 to 3 hours, so me and my friend went on a shopping spree for my vehicle. We went to the Minister road, and got the following.

Sports steering wheel - 3500
A hub to hold the steering - 1500
Magnaflow free flow exhaust - 7000
PiperCross Air filters - 5000
System-G Petrol Additive - 250 Per 250ml bottle
Mielage Regulator - 3800
Synthetic Engine Oil - 7250
Headlights : 1850
Front Indicators : 750
Carwash : 150
Circular metal cut on the back dashboard : 200
Grill to cover the Cut : 100
Break pads : 800
Gear oil and break oil : 450

This circular cut was made because Astra's have hard metal behind the rear seat. There would be no point in setting up the speakers in the boot. So I asked the mech to cut it.

I was back to the garage again. The mech in the meanwhile, drained out the old engine oil, which was completely opaque, and put diesel, and kept the engine running for approximately 20 minutes, and then drained that diesel out, and then flushed the engine with a chemical (I dont know). I handed over the above parts to the mech. The mech started installing. By evening 8:30, the vehicle was ready. The mech took a labour charge of 1500 INR. I started my car, and the sound went "Vroooooooommmmm", which was simply amazing. I noticed that the car was running smoother, faster, and sounded sporty, must say, better than earlier. Refueled my car on the way (Tank full) back home. My friend and me had a party that night. A Smirn off Vodka, Redbull, Soda, lemon, and HYDERABADI DUM BIRYANI, and you know...!!!! ha ha ha.

My friend left in the morning. Next day, I got up in the morning at around 10:30. As soon as I got up, the first thing I did was to take my beauty for a short spin. It felt like heaven. I know it sounds crazy, but thats what you call passion.

I got ready, and went to pick my friend up back again. I reached his home. His mom was nice to offer me a breakfast, although I was not hungry. When I refused for a breakfast, I was invited for dinner. I agreed. We left his house at around 12:30, and headed straight to bank, and withdrew again a 65k. The next destination was a good car decor showroom. We had so many choices, but I went to the one that my friend suggested. We were welcomed in the showroom, and were offered soft drinks. ("Lag raha tha, arey yaar, Main bhi seth ban gaya" he he he ). At the car decor showroom, I ordered for the following:

Sony Xplod Amplifier 300W: 6000
Two Xplod speakers with box: 5500
Pioneer MP3 with USB : 5500
Wiring : 400
Floor Mats : 450
Rexine Seat covers (Black and blue combination): 2500
Dashboard cleaning and interior cleaning : 350
Roof makeup : 1500
White light for the cabin : 500
HID KIT : 7000
Brand name stickering on both sides of the door : 800
/////ALPINE///// Stickering on the front glass : 200
TeamBHP.com Stickering on the rear glass : 300
Sports Pedals, black and blue : 400
Low profile tyres : 15000

At around 5:40pm, the vehicle was ready. Just wanted to check if everything was working fine or not. The music was awesome. The thump was amazing. I took the vehicle for a short spin again along with my friend. After a while, I felt something is missing in the car. I did not know what ? I was back within 10 minutes. I paid the rest of the balance bill. As soon as I got into my car, I was stunned and something grabbed my attention. Guess what, this astra did not have a RPM tachometer. So, I headed back to minister road to get a RPM tachometer. Got the meter for 1200, including fitting charges. It really looks cool.

I have a dream of getting it a body kit, but my friend told, that I have spent too much on this car, and told me not to spend any more. I accepted, and thought that the tacho was the final one.

I love my car, and I drive it everyday, not to commute, but to enjoy driving. The drive is pretty smooth and sporty. I get a pretty decent mielage of 14 in the city if I drive as a good guy, but if I am into that hotrod driving, It hardly gives 10kmpl, but I am okay with it.

I went to visakhapatnam on the same vehicle, which actually gave me a 13 to 14 kmpl with that hotrod driving on the highway. I touched 170 KMPH on this car. I think, the car was ready to go further, but I wasn't.

At the end, I want to tell all you guys who have ever driven a car, or have passion about a car, or own a car.

I LOVE MY BEAUTY, and I AM SURE YOU DO AS WELL.

VJ

"Ability is what you're capable of doing. Motivation determines what you do. Attitude determines how well you do it."
Old 30th October 2009, 20:02   #9
BHPian

My Car Story

Hello guys !!

I know its been a long time I have not posted anything, just browsing and reading out forums. I was kinda busy. I still remember how I bought my first car, my beauty.

Here it goes

I was in Bangalore earlier, working for a MNC. I used to see all those monster machines running on the road, and always dreamt "Wish I could have mine as well" TWO YEARS, I saved every penny possible, so that I could afford one, but as you know "Fate plays a hard game", I had to go back to my home town for some reasons. Came back to BNG and worked for two more months in the same company, and wanted a change. I moved to Hyd. I still remember the last day in BNG. I saw this Black Lambo on the road when I was in Autorickshaw, at a traffic signal. It was right next to me. I was headed to the Railway station (Yeshwanthpur). It was really awesome. I know I cannot afford it, but on a serious note, this one shook me.

I reached hyderabad, joined my new office. As I was not aware of hyderabad at that time, I did not take a risk of taking a vehicle. I was regreting myself because, now I have to wait for a month again, to find out good deals. I made some new friends. There was this guy who became a really good friend of mine. He had a Lancer.

After the first month, now that I have collected some information about the hyd, and the places where to look for a good car in hyd, I was good to go for my dream. I started looking out for news papers, carwale, Dr. Car, N number of Used car showroom. No go. Nothing would fit in my budget. I thought Hyd cars were cheaper, but it is not as easy as it looks. My friend suggested me to get a car from mumbai, and told that would help me to get one. I insisted on a AP number as i did not want to go through the re-registration process and travelling and transporation expenses (which were unnecessary for me).

On a sunday morning, I was having my coffee, watching TV. As soon as the Deccan Chronicle paper arrived, the first thing I was looking at was Automotive Classifieds section, going through Zens, 800's, Esteem, Cielo's, Matiz, Ikons, etc, calling each and every add (which fits my budget), to check what was the price. My budget to get the car was 120K. There was an AD about this Opel Astra, 98 model, petrol, 1.6, which was priced at 90K. I soon called up my friend. He arrived to my home by 9:30 AM. I was ready and waiting for him eagerly. He insisted me not to take an Astra, but still wanted to check how the car was. We started from my home. I was driving. This guy trusted me. We went to the owner. This guy had this classic green Astra. As soon as he said "Yehi gaadi hai saab", I looked at the car, and just fell in love with that car. It was like, this car stood there just for me to come and take it home. So I went ahead and , checked the interiors, paint job, engine, everything seemed to be fine. Surprisingly, this car also had factory installed alloys. I checked the Odo, and it was 74000. The owner offered a test drive, so took the vehicle for spin. The first thing I noticed was the pick up, it was pretty decent. Clutch was smooth. The gear was a bit tight, especially the reverse. Power steering and power windows were good, I was back in 20 minutes. The AC was not working. I asked the owner about the problem, it said "Gas-aan khatam ho gaya hai ji aur kuch nehi, main refill kara leta hoon" in a typical hyderabadi style. Checked for additional components. The tires had around 40% life. My friend called up a mechanic, who was there in 20 minutes, as he lived near by. He told that the engine was good, his overall rating out of 10 was 6.5. He warned that if i am not concerned about mielage, I could take this vehicle. The owner told that this car gave 10kmpl in cities, and upto 14-15 kmpl on highways. I did not believe it, but I don't know. It seemed as if this car was waiting for me. After further inspection of papers, and the car, I told him to negotiate the price. After bargaining, the deal was set to 80k, as the car had some minor works to be done. Me, the owner, and my friend went to the bank. I withdrew aroudn 120k, and gave the owner 80k. The owner said that there is approximately 10 litres of petrol left in the tank, which is like a mini bonus. The owner surprisingly invited me to his house for a tea. I refused as I was in a hurry to get to a garrage to get vehicle cleaned and for minor jobs. There was this garage nearby to my house. I spoke to the mech, and he stated that he will check the vehicle and let me know what are the fixes. In the meanwile, me and my friend grabbed a quick juice and cigarrettes. We were back at the garage. The mech told the following list:

Bushes under the gear stick - 350
Radiator cleaning - 300
Engine flushing - 200
Spark plugs change - IRX Iridium- 1000 each (Total 4000)
New oil filter - 450
Carb cleaning - 300

He told that it would take around 2 to 3 hours, so me and my friend went on a shopping spree for my vehicle. We went to the Minister road, and got the following.

Sports steering wheel - 3500
A hub to hold the steering - 1500
Magnaflow free flow exhaust - 7000
PiperCross Air filters - 5000 (Installed later after suggestions)
System-G Petrol Additive - 250 Per 250ml bottle
Mielage Regulator - 3800
Synthetic Engine Oil - 7250
Headlights : 1850
Front Indicators : 750
Carwash : 150
Circular metal cut on the back dashboard : 200
Grill to cover the Cut : 100
Break pads : 800
Gear oil and break oil : 450

This circular cut was made because Astra's have hard metal behind the rear seat. There would be no point in setting up the speakers in the boot. So I asked the mech to cut it.

I was back to the garage again. The mech in the meanwhile, drained out the old engine oil, which was completely opaque, and put diesel, and kept the engine running for approximately 20 minutes, and then drained that diesel out, and then flushed the engine with a chemical (I dont know). I handed over the above parts to the mech. The mech started installing. By evening 8:30, the vehicle was ready. The mech took a labour charge of 1500 INR. I started my car, and the sound went "Vroooooooommmmm", which was simply amazing. I noticed that the car was running smoother, faster, and sounded sporty, must say, better than earlier. Refueled my car on the way (Tank full) back home. My friend and me had a party that night. A Smirn off Vodka, Redbull, Soda, lemon, and HYDERABADI DUM BIRYANI, and you know...!!!! ha ha ha.

My friend left in the morning. Next day, I got up in the morning at around 10:30. As soon as I got up, the first thing I did was to take my beauty for a short spin. It felt like heaven. I know it sounds crazy, but thats what you call passion.

I got ready, and went to pick my friend up back again. I reached his home. His mom was nice to offer me a breakfast, although I was not hungry. When I refused for a breakfast, I was invited for dinner. I agreed. We left his house at around 12:30, and headed straight to bank, and withdrew again a 65k. The next destination was a good car decor showroom. We had so many choices, but I went to the one that my friend suggested. We were welcomed in the showroom, and were offered soft drinks. ("Lag raha tha, arey yaar, Main bhi seth ban gaya" he he he ). At the car decor showroom, I ordered for the following:

Sony Xplod Amplifier 300W: 6000
Two Xplod speakers with box: 5500
Pioneer MP3 with USB : 5500
Wiring : 400
Floor Mats : 450
Rexine Seat covers (Black and blue combination): 2500
Dashboard cleaning and interior cleaning : 350
Roof makeup : 1500
White light for the cabin : 500
HID KIT : 7000 (Installed later to increase visibility)
Brand name stickering on both sides of the door : 800
/////ALPINE///// Stickering on the front glass : 200
TeamBHP.com Stickering on the rear glass : 300
Sports Pedals, black and blue : 400
Low profile tyres : 15000

At around 5:40pm, the vehicle was ready. Just wanted to check if everything was working fine or not. The music was awesome. The thump was amazing. I took the vehicle for a short spin again along with my friend. After a while, I felt something is missing in the car. I did not know what ? I was back within 10 minutes. I paid the rest of the balance bill. As soon as I got into my car, I was stunned and something grabbed my attention. Guess what, this astra did not have a RPM tachometer. So, I headed back to minister road to get a RPM tachometer. Got the meter for 1200, including fitting charges. It really looks cool.

I have a dream of getting it a body kit, but my friend told, that I have spent too much on this car, and told me not to spend any more. I accepted, and thought that the tacho was the final one.

I love my car, and I drive it everyday, not to commute, but to enjoy driving. The drive is pretty smooth and sporty. I get a pretty decent mielage of 14 in the city if I drive as a good guy, but if I am into that hotrod driving, It hardly gives 10kmpl, but I am okay with it.

I went to visakhapatnam on the same vehicle, which actually gave me a 13 to 14 kmpl with that hotrod driving on the highway. I touched 170 KMPH on this car. I think, the car was ready to go further, but I wasn't.

At the end, I want to tell all you guys who have ever driven a car, or have passion about a car, or own a car.

I LOVE MY BEAUTY, and I AM SURE YOU DO AS WELL.

VJ

"Ability is what you're capable of doing. Motivation determines what you do. Attitude determines how well you do it."

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks