Team-BHP - Engine swap for type I OHC 1.3
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Modifications & Accessories (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modifications-accessories/)
-   -   Engine swap for type I OHC 1.3 (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modifications-accessories/43120-engine-swap-type-i-ohc-1-3-a.html)

hey everyone..

my elder brother's 98 OHC Type I needs a heart transplant in the near future. Now instead of rebuilding the same old engine, both of us were thinking of swapping it for a B16 or the type 2 vtec engine..

@ our very own tuners: please provide me some information regarding this matter. Our requirements are:
1. Engine needs to be a daily driver. No stalling, idling issues or overheating or the need to push it to start up etc etc (He just became a father and my nephew is only 3 months old),
2. No turbo at all. My brother wants to keep it NA and avoid any complications in the future.
3. Supply of necessary parts and service and support later on.
4. Price of the package : Engine, trans, wiring harness, A/C unit if possible.
5. Are these JDM engines new or rebuilt?

Please provide an estimate and any suggestions other wise..

Thanks
JRD.

Do take a look here...
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modifi...hc-type-i.html

Hey JRD,

there are people on the forum who have done an engine swap on a 1.3 OHC. You can definitley use a B16, D16 or the indian B15C2 engines.

If you decide on using the Indian vtec engine, IMO use the OHC vtec engine (B15 C2) which can be easily sourced.

Cheers
Shrey

Quote:

Originally Posted by ssjr0498 (Post 918580)
Hey JRD,

there are people on the forum who have done an engine swap on a 1.3 OHC. You can definitley use a B16, D16 or the indian B15C2 engines.

If you decide on using the Indian vtec engine, IMO use the OHC vtec engine (B15 C2) which can be easily sourced.

Cheers
Shrey

ya i think i would prefer the ohc vtec engine just for the fact that i would get service and parts from the dealer ships. any idea where i can get those vtec engines?

Its easy to source them from some tuner or check in the places where u get the old parts.

If you are unsuccessfull PM me. I might get you one for a good price.

Cheers
Shrey
Quote:

Originally Posted by JRD (Post 918599)
ya i think i would prefer the ohc vtec engine just for the fact that i would get service and parts from the dealer ships. any idea where i can get those vtec engines?

Did you check the team-bhp marketplace ?

I'm sure you could stumble upon juicy finds like this one there :)

If you are keen on a B16, head over to Jitus / Vipers threads. On the other hand, if you do finalise on a Vtec, you'll do good to sell your 1.2 and buy a stock 1.5 Vtec instead.

vtec engines are available and most tuners can source and install them..but what good doing a swap to a stock vtec...might as well do a few mods too :)

Simplest & the most reliable install would be a B15 C2 aka OHC VTEC swap. Everything is available locally & most good garages are capable of working on it. Plus, it's bulletproof.

Putting most other engines would require custom mountings etc. etc. which can be a problem if not done properly in the first place.

@ GTO, Iceman91: Ya i know, might as well get some performance, but the main thing is the availability of parts and service.. I would love to get the B16 but due to the daily use of this vehicle which it has been doing from 1998, in my personal opinion a factory vtec would be more reliable and i can always get mods done on it aka FFE, cams etc.

@ iraghava: That is exactly what i am thinking. The OHC vtec would be the easiest to install without any mounting or tuning issues and i can get all the parts i need from my local honda dealer for periodic maintainence and or overhaul in the long term.

Now the question is I need some help to get in touch with some one who can provide me a good OHC vtec engine (that doesnt have any major problems) and if possible get some money for my 1.3 in exchange. My budget is around 90K to 100k. Anyone??

JRD - Contact Viper, he had a VTEC engine for sale some time back, he might still have it.

Too late Ishan. Viper has sold it long back.

Put in a nice H22 off a Prelude.

As you are from Ahmedabad, I would recommend you to first get in touch with people in Mumbai who has done these kinda jobs before.
FordRocam, Viper etc.. have been thru this and will give you better advices.

Also, as suggested earlier, think twice before going in for swap jobs. It is always not a smooth ride!

Quote:

Put in a nice H22 off a Prelude.
I suspect there is one for sale somewhere! :D
One word of caution. Be careful!

his budget is 100k. Doubt you will get an h22 abroad for that price let alone in india. Than the install headache.. I would say stay away..