Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th July 2008, 09:50   #1
Senior - BHPian

Will this be Rice?

Ok. Chances are this will end up as a hypothetical mod, but I still need to get it out of my system. I have an Indica turbo. By no means a fast car. Relatively fast, maybe , but thats still not the point. Saint Pete has damned all tata cars, and it has been proved that K&N's don't help significantly, and no FFE, since it sounds loud already.

So that leads to visual mods. While modding an NA indica diesel to look hot may be pointless, i think the turbo is worthy of a slightly better look. While fitting Altezza style headlamps is defined as one of the hallmarks of a ricer, I still feel that as long as it is tasteful, and makes the car look better ( and not faster ) , there does lie some scope for improvement.

What set me thinking was the blackening headlights thread on team bhp, and this page was what made me think seriously about it

KitUp! Automotive

A two tone paintjob on indica dicor headlights - white for the indicators on top, and black for the non reflecting surfaces below , sort of opposite of the accord headlight shown there , so that the end result looks like the headlamps of this car

http://www.kitup.co.in/pictures/Indi...dykit-1of2.jpg

How much will such a mod cost btw ( including the cost of the dicor Style Headlights?)
Old 30th July 2008, 12:49   #2
GTO
Team-BHP Support

As long as you are happy with the way the mods look, what does it matter if others think its "ricer"ish or not! Paint cost from the best in the business should not exceed a grand.

My worry is : How effective will the headlights be after such a mod?
Old 30th July 2008, 15:14   #3
Senior - BHPian

I liked that front bumper spoiler on that Indica. Looks good in white. Greenhorn, a nice looking body kit ain't a bad idea for the Indica.
Old 30th July 2008, 15:21   #4
BHPian

I actually liked this indica! They have done a very good job on it
Old 30th July 2008, 15:48   #5
Senior - BHPian

nah, the front spoiler aint for me. my place has way too many stones and mud to be practical. my front bumper has enough scratches as it is , and i need all the ground clearance i can get. But the headlights are too nice to pass up !
Old 30th July 2008, 19:25   #6
BHPian

Quote:
So that leads to visual mods. While modding an NA indica diesel to look hot may be pointless, i think the turbo is worthy of a slightly better look. While fitting Altezza style headlamps is defined as one of the hallmarks of a ricer, I still feel that as long as it is tasteful, and makes the car look better ( and not faster ) , there does lie some scope for improvement.
What set me thinking was the blackening headlights thread on team bhp, and this page was what made me think seriously about it

KitUp! Automotive

A two tone paintjob on indica dicor headlights - white for the indicators on top, and black for the non reflecting surfaces below , sort of opposite of the accord headlight shown there , so that the end result looks like the headlamps of this car
http://www.kitup.co.in/pictures/Indi...dykit-1of2.jpg
If you ask me, I would say that as long as the visual mods aren't too loud, your car wouldn't look 'rice'. 'Altezza' taillights are not available for the Indica and I think the ones which you have on your car look really good!

About the headlights, I would suggest you go for headlamp eyelids (the white cover on the upper part of the headlamp) on the stock lamps itself. Blackening the non-reflective surface will make it look like an Indicab! I hope you know that all Indicabs similar blackening.

Putting Indigo Dicor lamps is not worth the investment, IMHO. Also, putting a white cover on the turn signals of those lamps is a compromise on safety.

-----------------------------------------------------------------
Nevertheless, here's a quick chop on your car.

1) Headlamp eyelids on stock headlamps
2) Mesh grilles
3) 14-inch 5-spoke alloys
4) Blackened B-Pillar
5) Tata Decal on Front Door

Except for the alloys, all these upgrades are cheap and are D-I-Y jobs which can be done at home too, if you are adventurous!

Will this be Rice?-indicaghmod.jpg

P.S. - Check out the DIY eyelids thread started by 1self and send a PM to nikhilv12 to know more about DIY headlamp blackening and mesh grilles.
Old 31st July 2008, 17:21   #7
Senior - BHPian

Thanks for the Photochop mate
I've already done the blackened B pillars
And the grille- i think it would be too loud. I'm planning on the removing the chrome trim though.
Alloys I cant afford yet - And even if i could, I'd invest in wider rubber first.
I really like the tata logo. Looks real nice

I havent seen any blackened indicab headlamps!

besides, i think the indigo dicor headlights look too good !
And I plan to keep my stock headlamps safe , and put them back when i sell that car - I have a vague feeling the modded look won't do any good for resale!

PS: nikhil's thread involved blackening tailamps by painting black+ clear coat paint . This ( i think) involves taking apart the HL and painting the interiors, something I dont want to risk on teh stock stuff

Last edited by greenhorn : 31st July 2008 at 17:28.
Old 31st July 2008, 18:43   #8
GTO
Team-BHP Support

PS job notwithstanding, thats a great looking Indica. Simple yet classy touches...good taste. The alloys need to be an inch larger to complete the look.
Old 31st July 2008, 19:53   #9
BHPian

@GTO, greenhorn ... Thanks!

BTW, here's how the blackened headlamps of the Indicab look. I couldn't find a better picture. They are Type I Indica non-clear lens headlamps with blackened non-reflecting surfaces and orange indicator lenses
Attached Thumbnails
Will this be Rice?-20_1.jpg  

Old 1st September 2008, 18:01   #10
Senior - BHPian

mailed them, messaged them. No response from Kitup, even after a month . If they arent interested , neither Am I. Planning to spend this cash on dad's new RX !
Old 1st September 2008, 18:17   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenhorn View Post
mailed them, messaged them. No response from Kitup, even after a month . If they arent interested , neither Am I. Planning to spend this cash on dad's new RX !
i got a response from them within a week ....... but they were asking for keeping the car with them for 3-4 weeks even for simple jobs
Old 12th October 2008, 09:57   #12
Senior - BHPian

Lazy sunday morning and nothing else to do . Was thinking about removing the bling on the front grille. Thought I'd do a photochop first.
Should I or shouldnt I ?
Will this be Rice?-i807g5.jpg

the original pic is here
ride2.jpg - White 2007 Tata Indica V2 DLG Turbo - The Indicab that isn't!

Last edited by greenhorn : 12th October 2008 at 10:00.
Old 12th October 2008, 10:29   #13
Senior - BHPian

Lazy sunday morning here as well....

remove the bling bling.. it looks good in the picture.
Old 12th October 2008, 13:59   #14
Senior - BHPian

gah, bad luck, seems the chrome slats are placed in a groove, if i take them out , they'll look ugly. Will have to source some black tape and cover it instead.
Old 12th October 2008, 14:45   #15
Senior - BHPian

Go to a sticker shop where they do numberplates et al and ask them to paste black vinyl, glossy or matt, over it.

What about the chrome on the bonnet?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks