Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd August 2008, 21:01   #1
BHPian

Hyundai Central Locking MAX

Just took delivery of my Getz GLX yesterday, had Hyundai MAX remote central locking installed at the showroom itself. While driving around Delhi today I found that my 18 months old son could disengage the rear door lock. I was surprised and alarmed because I was under the impression that once I lock all doors from driver's door, all other doors need my 'permission' to unlock. In my brother's Maruti Zen, he has to release driver door lock, otherwise other doors cannot be unlocked/opened.

I took up my issue with the Hyundai salesman who called his technician; both claimed that a system like in my brother's car is absolutely impossible in any car, any make! I am willing to discount for their ignorance or amnesia or both. So my question is: what is my chance of getting a simillar system in my car? Any feedback from other Hyundai users in particular and all Team BHP members in general is most welcome.

By the way, I am aware of the child lock feature. My only problem is the cumbersome route for opening the door:
(1) Driver (me!!!) get's out and opens the rear door from outside, or
(2) Wife rolls down window all the way down, pulls open outside door lever and then someone have to remember to roll up the window fully.
Old 4th August 2008, 13:27   #2
Senior - BHPian

I am not sure if I have seen such a system (only driver can unlock). Though the driver can lock and unlock all the doors, the individual doors too have control for themselves. Let me know if there is any other system...
Old 4th August 2008, 14:56   #3
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Hi Guite,

I don't know what system has been installed in teh Zen, but can tell you its more of an exception rather than the rule. Standard central locking systems dont work like that.
Old 4th August 2008, 16:17   #4
Team-BHP Support

In all cars even if driver locks the doors, the passengers can unlock manually. If you don't want your son to unlock door, engage the child lock.
This way door can open only from outside, even when unlocked.
For location of child lock check out owners manual
Old 4th August 2008, 16:32   #5
BHPian

The locking system which your brother has is of the Silicon company.Even one of my friends had it on his Zen.According to him it can only be installed in Zen.
Old 4th August 2008, 21:18   #6
BHPian

Thank you all for the kind responses.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Hi Guite,
I don't know what system has been installed in the Zen, but can tell you its more of an exception rather than the rule. Standard central locking systems dont work like that.
Glad to know that, it's a huge reassurance on my decision to go for Getz. Thanks a lot.
Quote:
Originally Posted by D.V.R View Post
The locking system which your brother has is of the Silicon company. Even one of my friends had it on his Zen. According to him it can only be installed in Zen.
Thank you for the information. I checked the Silicon website but there is no mention of compatible cars. But I suppose I should better not risk trying to install a potentially incompatible accessory, a very critical one at that. Isn't it?

So, I am back to using child lock the way majority of people around the world use, as cumbersome as it may be.

Other opinion still welcome. The salesman mentioned that 'driver only unlock' is a security/safety risk. How valid is this point?

Guite
Old 4th August 2008, 22:17   #7
Team-BHP Support

If there is an accident, and driver is injured badly, and you have to get out of car quick, you can't.
Moreover when you have an electronic lock which jams the locks, and you get stuck in the car, with car on fire and electronic module failed, you will be toast.
So there should never be a lock on the car which cannot be opened(except for child lock of course). But since child locks etc., are manual, as are locks on most cars(even if you have central locking you can open lock from inside), they are not an issue
tsk1979 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th August 2008, 22:36   #8
BHPian

Such thoughts did occur to me but I had dismissed it because the rear seat passengers cannot get out either. Unless of course there is an able front passenger or there are other people around i.e. the accident did not occur in an isolated spot.
Old 4th August 2008, 23:38   #9
Senior - BHPian

I have a Getz GLX, I am using autocop and the central locking behaves exactly the way as yours. The only solution is to use child lock feature.

Great choice. Enjoy!!
Old 4th August 2008, 23:52   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatienceWins View Post
I have a Getz GLX, I am using autocop and the central locking behaves exactly the way as yours. The only solution is to use child lock feature.
I believe it is an Autocop product branded as Hyundai.

Quote:
Great choice. Enjoy!!
Thanks.
Old 5th August 2008, 00:19   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guite View Post
I believe it is an Autocop product branded as Hyundai.

Thanks.
I got Autocop from outside, it has got nothing to do with Hyundai. It is the basic model.

The autocop just uses the central locking feature of the car for locking/ unlocking. Driver does not have any control over the manual locking/ unlocking without using child lock. The common behaviour I see in all cars.
Old 5th August 2008, 09:59   #12
BHPian

What I mean is that I think the system installed in my car is manufactured by AutoCOP, for Hyundai; just like Voltas manufacture lots of fridge for other brands. I can't pinpoint where or how exactly I got that impression, but its there.
Old 9th August 2015, 10:52   #13
BHPian

Re: Hyundai Central Locking MAX

I need a duplicate Central Locking Remote unit, since one got lost.
The original unit came with a Santro 2007 model, and the remote brand says "Hyundai" at the back.

The service center gave me the contact of the 3rd party vendor who supports this. However he says that the model I have is no longer available.

Is there any place in Bangalore where they can make a custom duplicate, i.e. based on 1 remote unit that I have ?

-Fillmore

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks