Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th August 2008, 14:53   #1
BHPian

Customised Protection Bar for rear Bumper

My Adventure has been rammed from rear quite a few times. 5-6 times by Bikes and once by Esteem.
On saturday I have to apply sudden brake to avoid a cyclist, who just appeared from nowhere. Although I stopped but a bike rammed into my rear bumper at full speed. The bumper has plunged inside with and area of around palm.
Now I am looking for a rear protection bar, as FIAT spares are both costly and not easy to get, so I dont want to take another chance.
I couldn't find any place in Gurgaon where I can get such bar, neither ready made nor customized.
Can anyone suggest me few good place in Delhi or around Gurgaon from where I can order a customised bar for rear bumper.

Last edited by hrsraghav : 6th August 2008 at 14:55.
Old 6th August 2008, 17:15   #2
BHPian

????? no comments?
GUys please help
Old 6th August 2008, 17:19   #3
BHPian

I had been to Khan market in Delhi (for accessories for the pajero) and they did have the rear protection bars. You might want to try there.

Rgds

Manoj
Old 6th August 2008, 17:33   #4
BHPian

OT. But, please don't put these so called protection guards. Since they are mounted directly on the chassis (or the shell in case of monocoques like yours), in a big enough accident they would transfer the impact to the shell without the bumper etc. absorbing any part of it. IMHO, occasional scratches and bends don't call for putting your safety at risk.

Thanks,
Su-47
Old 6th August 2008, 17:49   #5
Senior - BHPian

Its not right from safety point of view for you as well as other vehicles (or pedestrians) to have these metal bars either in front or rear. If you have already decided that it does help you then this is OT.
Old 6th August 2008, 17:52   #6
Senior - BHPian

I think you need to alter your style of driving, braking in particular. Some of these can actually be avoided. I have not seen a car with bull bar at the rear.
Old 6th August 2008, 20:33   #7
BHPian

Thanks you guys for all your inputs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by esteem_lover View Post
I think you need to alter your style of driving, braking in particular. Some of these can actually be avoided. I have not seen a car with bull bar at the rear.
Yaaa you are right, I think at times the car took over me. I am trying to improve my driving habbits, if not for others then for my car only.
And this is very common with all SUVs and MUVs. You must have noticed them on Innova and Tavera.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Su-47 View Post
OT. But, please don't put these so called protection guards. Since they are mounted directly on the chassis (or the shell in case of monocoques like yours), in a big enough accident they would transfer the impact to the shell without the bumper etc. absorbing any part of it. IMHO, occasional scratches and bends don't call for putting your safety at risk.

Thanks,
Su-47
Very nice point.
Thats what I use to think earlier, until i did some inspection of installed Bars. Most of them are hollow pipes which are really thin. Few are even Plastic bars with a outer shell of very thin metal. You can even bend them just by standing on them, or by a sightly strong impact.
So In as way they are also attached to body as the bumper is attached, and you are actually leting the impact to destroy the bar instead of bumper. So the impact on chassis is same on both the case. Only if you have a Rod or Pipe hard enough, then although the tod or pipe will be safe but the chassis will be damaged.

Quote:
Originally Posted by indianrunner View Post
I had been to Khan market in Delhi (for accessories for the pajero) and they did have the rear protection bars. You might want to try there.

Rgds

Manoj
Thanks Manoj, few of the shops in gurgaon also suggested Kasmeeri gate market. Probably I will be going to both places this weekend.

Also I am exploring an option of geting it done in few phases by myself, like get a pipe, then bend it in the desired arc by some fabrication shop. And then either get it powder coated in black colour, or nickel plated.

And for the protetcion of pedastrans, I suppose the front one is dangerious, but the rear bar will not not be that harmfull.
Old 6th August 2008, 21:11   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srishiva View Post
Its not right from safety point of view for you as well as other vehicles (or pedestrians) to have these metal bars either in front or rear. If you have already decided that it does help you then this is OT.
Very right. Same goes for front bars in front of Innovas and Scorpios. I would think such mechanical additions impacting safety are illegal but haven't heard of cops preventing this ...
Cheers
Old 6th August 2008, 22:22   #9
Distinguished - BHPian

If someone hugs my backside, I slow down.

I have been known to slow down to the point of stopping, making them stop too.

It's tough, but the car is designed as it is, with strength in some places and weakness in others. We cannot expect to be able to convert it into a tank.
Old 7th August 2008, 14:26   #10
BHPian

I kind of do not like these protection bars and would strongly urge not to go for it. The rigid ones simply transfer the impact to the chassis making it more dangerous in case of an accident. The fragile ones serve no purpose. And most cases, what you will see are those shabby ones – no doubt it spoils the looks badly. They increase the length of the vehicle making maneuvering more difficult. No manufacturer recommends it.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks