Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories

Search this Thread
Old 11th August 2008, 19:00   #1
BHPian

Performance Mods for Premier Padmini using the stock engine

Hello everyone,myself and my cousin want to improve the performance of our Padmini 1991 model with column shift.After going through the various threads regarding changing the engine and gearbox we have decided to retain the original engine.At present the engine is completely stock except a FFE.We are in the process of procuring an S1 exhaust manifold.As the tuner scene here in Hyderabad is almost absent we are thinking of driving down to bangalore for further mods.We would appreciate if you all could provide us leads on how to proceed

Thanks
Old 11th August 2008, 19:10   #2
Senior - BHPian

Go through these to get inputs:

1. http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/post-1...-thread-4.html

2. http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modifi...0-awesome.html
Old 11th August 2008, 20:02   #3
BHPian

Hi planet rocker thanks for the links had gone through them earlier.Most of the info is given in the manual itself and most of the work has done on the vehicle.The thing is the FFE which is there at present is an DIY.All we did was just remove the muffler from the stock exhaust.It obviously sounds lovely but the main thing is the darn low end pick up is absolutely nil.At higher revs it does give great amount of power.But what we need is the low end power as it becomes difficult to drive in the city start and stop traffic,its difficult to climb ramps in underground parking lots.So we need the low end power out of the vehicle without losing out on the lovely exhaust sound.A mechanic had suggested to get in the S1 manifold but after a week of searching at the second hand parts shop and the scrap yard there were no positive results.We are even contemplating of getting an turbo if its possible to fit in it.So what do you suggest now?

Last edited by D.V.R : 11th August 2008 at 20:03.
Old 12th August 2008, 03:09   #4
Senior - BHPian

Although there are people on this forum who worked for Premier and have covered all bases of maintaining the car and getting good stock performance, here's how I would do it (based on the years of tinkering and bench-racing I did with my mentor, who raced with this engine for close to 35 years):

First get new rings and then do the following:

1) shave head 1.5 to 2 mm. If I remember right the compression is bumped to high 9's range with this mod.

2) source rally cam from somewhere. Even the stock 16/56 cam is a good one but the rally cam allows the engine to develop torque after 4000 rpm, whereas the stock one falls on its face at this point.

3) get a proper LCB (long-center branch) header (although S1 manifold is decent) and a 1.75 to 2" exhaust with a straight-through muffler. Apex in mumbai used to sell these.

4) Get a weber downdraft carburettor if you can find one or run twin solex carbs on a custom-welded manifold. even a twin-choke mikuni from a zen/maruti 1000 is a good choice for a balance between economy and power.

5) Run electronic ignition and discard the points.

6) use good petrol (i.e. > 91 octane).

The other option, again if you can find it, is to buy a complete S1 head and cam. This is good for in-city driving and will give better torque than the above. The above combo will idle funny and may not have good city driving characteristics but WILL kick some booty between 3000 and 6500 rpm.

Last edited by ananthkamath : 12th August 2008 at 03:26.
Old 12th August 2008, 11:15   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by D.V.R View Post
its difficult to climb ramps in underground parking lots.
kinda off topic but my car went up to the 6th floor roof top parking lot of a shopping mall in kolkata with ease (that was with 3 people on board) - all i had to do was to slot it in 1st and a gentle tap in the gas.

the S1 manifold is one of the best options. my car has a FFE with headers made by Electra performance, chennai.

OT:
look for the modded padminis at hyderabad - one car is owned by a tbhp member - yaser_cyclist IIRC - also check out the red modded padmini @ Road No. 2 Banjara Hills (opp a mosque off road no. 1)

Last edited by planet_rocker : 12th August 2008 at 11:16.
Old 12th August 2008, 11:33   #6
Senior - BHPian

has any one tried side exhaust on fiat?
Old 16th August 2008, 23:09   #7
Senior - BHPian

i have a few questions as there is no one here in dehradun to guide me.

1.how do i convert the points ignition into an electronic one.

2.Where can i get a weber downdraft carb.

3.Where can i get a ffe?

4.Where can i get a rally cam?

by the way the car is a 1984 fiat with floorshift gearbox.engine is i think third oversize.its really a very good car.even starts over after a 6 month break.but now i'm planning to take it out and do something.i really love it.

Last edited by navpreet318 : 16th August 2008 at 23:14.
Old 17th August 2008, 03:05   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by ananthkamath View Post
Although there are people on this forum who worked for Premier and have covered all bases of maintaining the car and getting good stock performance, here's how I would do it (based on the years of tinkering and bench-racing I did with my mentor, who raced with this engine for close to 35 years):

First get new rings and then do the following:

1) shave head 1.5 to 2 mm. If I remember right the compression is bumped to high 9's range with this mod.

2) source rally cam from somewhere. Even the stock 16/56 cam is a good one but the rally cam allows the engine to develop torque after 4000 rpm, whereas the stock one falls on its face at this point.

3) get a proper LCB (long-center branch) header (although S1 manifold is decent) and a 1.75 to 2" exhaust with a straight-through muffler. Apex in mumbai used to sell these.

4) Get a weber downdraft carburettor if you can find one or run twin solex carbs on a custom-welded manifold. even a twin-choke mikuni from a zen/maruti 1000 is a good choice for a balance between economy and power.

5) Run electronic ignition and discard the points.

6) use good petrol (i.e. > 91 octane).

The other option, again if you can find it, is to buy a complete S1 head and cam. This is good for in-city driving and will give better torque than the above. The above combo will idle funny and may not have good city driving characteristics but WILL kick some booty between 3000 and 6500 rpm.
All well and good Anant BUTTT...
  1. Rally Cams are impossible to get nowadays. I have only one Stage 1 Piper running in my 64.
  2. S1 Manifold with Twin pipes and a 2" from then on is more than enough for performance.
  3. A Weber downdraft is another impossible thing to find!! Use a Good perfect running solex instead. Dont use Bixa. If you HAVE to go for a mikuni, Use a 118NE Mikuni. Or even better, a 118NE HITACHI!!! Though they are again very very rare. BUT, you will need a mikuni manifold for that. Again, that is diffucult to find. My dad was one of the designers for it. Only a couple of hundred have been made.
  4. If you want to use wins though, be prepared to get 3kmpl.
  5. Dont discard the points. Get a Contessa Ignition coil and distributor.
Quote:
Originally Posted by navpreet318 View Post
i have a few questions as there is no one here in dehradun to guide me.

1.how do i convert the points ignition into an electronic one.

2.Where can i get a weber downdraft carb.

3.Where can i get a ffe?

4.Where can i get a rally cam?

by the way the car is a 1984 fiat with floorshift gearbox.engine is i think third oversize.its really a very good car.even starts over after a 6 month break.but now i'm planning to take it out and do something.i really love it.
I want to know what you mean by THIRD OVERSIZE ENGINE. IT must be Third oversize pistons. BUT those are extremely rare and have MINDBOGGLING performance. I have a set (brand new).

A Free Flow muffler can be made at any local exhaust shop. BUT make sure that it is longer than 25 inches MINIMUM. Also, it should be cylindrical. Try and Get it made as 2inch. That is what is runnng on two of my cars.
Old 17th August 2008, 07:39   #9
Senior - BHPian

what i meant by third oversize is that yes its running third oversize pistons.like what else can be third oversize?lol.

ok now i have some more questions.i am a novice in distributor technology.how is the timing set in case of the contessa distributor.or is it a bolt on.i bet its not.
i would be able to fine the weber 40dcoe twin barrel side draft or maybe even the down draft one.ofcourse it'll be a new one from abroad.
regarding the S1 headers.could you please let me know as to what i have to enquire from the parts dealer.i know for sure they'll have no idea about what S1 is.
and how do i verify that the header i'm getting is a S1 header.

the FF muffler would be easy to fabricate.what i was really interested is was the full exhaust.right from the headers to the midpipe.
Old 18th August 2008, 03:21   #10

The standard MAnifold will have only one Exit hole. The S! MAnifold will have two. So basically the standard one gives 4X1 and S1 gives 4X2.

This is the Manifold.

Also, try a HalfPipe Setup. It sounds Amazing!!
Attached Thumbnails
Performance Mods for Premier Padmini using the stock engine-100_1707.jpg  

Performance Mods for Premier Padmini using the stock engine-100_1708.jpg  

Old 18th August 2008, 09:00   #11
Senior - BHPian

allright.thanks for the pics.it'll help a lot.so how long is the twin pipe setup.i mean how much further does it go.i'll check with my local supplier today.
Old 18th August 2008, 11:40   #12
Senior - BHPian

@ cyrus - what is this HalfPipe setup? please explain
Old 18th August 2008, 13:18   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by navpreet318 View Post
allright.thanks for the pics.it'll help a lot.so how long is the twin pipe setup.i mean how much further does it go.i'll check with my local supplier today.
It becomes a Single pipe as soon as it becomes Horizontal. Until that point, it is Dual Pipes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by planet_rocker View Post
@ cyrus - what is this HalfPipe setup? please explain
The Exhaust ends after the Muffler. No Tailpipe!! ...It makes a RACKET!! But isnt that what we like!! lol..
Old 9th January 2010, 20:49   #14
BHPian

I have dec 1991 petrol premier padmini, running FFE. i am planning to boost comp ratio by shaving the engine head. Other than exhaust manifold and cam, what are the differences in my fiat and S1?
any more suggestions?

Note: my every month budget is 2k. (just completed engineering and joined company)
Old 20th April 2010, 17:38   #15
Senior - BHPian

Interesting read. Whats the status of your car DVR? What were the mods you completed?

Most Viewed