Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th August 2008, 15:36   #1
Senior - BHPian

Improving the Cold Air Intake.

Guys do you think cold air intake plays an important role in an engines performance? Does it help increase power and affect FE? In case it does, does it make sense to modify the air intake hose in my MARINA DICOR. Presently its slanted downwards towards the left wheel well and sucks in air from a downward position. Will it improve matters if I was to reel in a hose and modify the intake into a snorkel kind of a thing to either be fixed along the A pillar or perhaps a small hump in front of the bumper on the left side.
Is it worth the effort?
Old 13th August 2008, 16:43   #2
BHPian

Here goes my attempt into answering this. Guessing that it would not make much of a difference. The turbo would feed intercooled but hotter air into the engine, anyways, and probably negate the effect of the cold air intake. Also, guessing that the snorkel would come of good use mainly in dusty areas, and neutral in cities and paved roads.
Old 13th August 2008, 17:31   #3
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Guys do you think cold air intake plays an important role in an
engines performance?
yes..
Quote:
Does it help increase power and affect FE?
power yes..FE no idea
Quote:
In case it does, does it make sense to modify the air intake hose in my MARINA DICOR. Presently its slanted downwards towards the left wheel well and sucks in air from a downward position. Will it improve matters if I was to reel in a hose and modify the intake into a snorkel kind of a thing to either be fixed along the A pillar or perhaps a small hump in front of the bumper on the left side.
Is it worth the effort?
i haven't seen the intake of a dicor. but if it get air from a cooler source, keep it cool till the engine, then it is worth the effort. remember to insulate the intake pipe since diesel compartment will be hot and will negate the effort of cooler air sourced. so source, path and insulation are important.

Last edited by kutlee : 13th August 2008 at 17:33.
Old 13th August 2008, 19:14   #4
rippergeo

there is a limit to how long the pipe can be made, before it starts affecting airflow.the number and degree of bends also matter
so a snorkel for a road going car would not be ideal.

the downward pointing stock air intake has advantages- it keeps dirt and water out better, compared to a bonnet mounted intake.

I got this info off the forum itself. maybe experts can help.

Old 14th August 2008, 11:47   #5
Senior - BHPian

Will getting more air in Help? Suppose I just extend the downward intake a bit more so as to protrude outside the compartment and fix it in a parallel kinda position to the left front quarter panel, near to the front bumper so that the movement of the vehicle pushes the air in and put a small filter kinda thing to keep the dust out, will it do or maybe just point it downward to keep the dust and water out?
Old 14th August 2008, 12:19   #6
rippergeo

in a turbo, the air entering is regulated by the turbo to a very large extent. pointing the nozzle forward might not give the ram air effect that you are looking for.

if the current intake is not restricting the turbo's performance, getting a bigger pipe or a ram air effect wont help. because the the turbo and indirectly, the ECU will determine the amount of air getting in.

but if you manage to convert the current air intake to a proper cold air intake, that will DEFINITEly help.

Now my question is, why is an amateur like me answering this question unguided by the experts on this forum?
Maybe its time to shut up.

Old 14th August 2008, 12:40   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rippergeo View Post
but if you manage to convert the current air intake to a proper cold air intake, that will DEFINITEly help.

Now my question is, why is an amateur like me answering this question unguided by the experts on this forum?
Maybe its time to shut up.
may be. i think it is the other way aroud. may amaterurs think they are experts and many experts think that they are amateurs.
won't ram air help a bit in increasing performance even for a turbo? i think it will.
Old 14th August 2008, 14:11   #8
rippergeo

Quote:
Originally Posted by kutlee View Post
won't ram air help a bit in increasing performance even for a turbo? i think it will.
I dont know. will the stock ECU tolerate the turbo producing more boost than it should?

giving a less restrictive intake with a ram air effect will definitely reduce the amount of work the turbo has to do(even if it is already working optimally). no doubt there.
the question is, if the turbo is already working optimally, will the modifics change the amount of boost that is put out?

Old 14th August 2008, 14:15   #9
BHPian

The air-intake location in an Indica/Indigo/Marina seems apt to me. If you open the bonnet and check the space inside, Tata seems to have picked the best possible location.
You can try two things - first just insulate the parts that are exposed to the engine heat - or try an after market product (usually have better insulation) drawing air from the same location.
Old 25th August 2008, 14:15   #10
Senior - BHPian

Ok I will try out the insulation part first. Thanks Viper.
Will do it this weekend and see what happens and ripper, at times amatuers come out wiht more lasting solutions as they tend to think outside the box.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks