Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th March 2005, 17:12   #1
BHPian

Lightened flywheel& underdrive pulley on esteem anybody?

Yo,
was wondering if anyone has tried lightening the flywheel and using an underdrive pulley on the esteem engine? iceman, any idea? i was just checking the flywheel and there does'nt seem too much material to remove, but still... any ideas/experiences most welcome!
Old 17th March 2005, 19:12   #2
Senior - BHPian

yeah dude thats something all of us already have. performance is goood as well as the revs climb much quicker. raj has a set fo these for sale. check with him or i could get one set made for you.
Old 18th March 2005, 04:57   #3
BHPian

hey thanks ice but can u tell me how much this will put me off by? moneywise that is, and also can i give my fwheel and pulley so it wont cost me as much? with raj that is? does he have that option?
Old 18th March 2005, 10:13   #4
Senior - BHPian

a good lightened flywheel will cost you around 4k plus the flywheel.the underdrive pulley will cost you around 2500 to make one.
with raj you have to buy the flywheel will cost you 6k or give me your flywheel and i can get it lightened for 4k. this includes balancing upto high rpms.
Old 18th March 2005, 11:24   #5
BHPian

great iceman dude, i better bring my fw there then dont know when i'll make it but when i do i'll give u a buzz bro. thanks again. and hey the zen and esteem fwheels are the same? i'm guessing yes so i'm planning on getting the zen fw there..ok right/?
Old 18th March 2005, 13:31   #6
BHPian

???

hey bro, was just thinking about this... flywheels are meant to smooth out the power fluctuations bcas only the expansion stroke (in a 4 stroke engine) produces power. the fly wheel does this by storing up the energy as kinetic energy and releases this during the other 3 strokes.

now the kinetic energy stored by the flywheel is given by

0.5 * mass of flywheel * velocity * velocity

or

mass of flywheel * average radius * angular velocity * angular velocity

angular velocity since we talk of RPM in car engines.

now by lightening the fly wheel the kinetic energy the fw can store is reduced. which mean the power fluctuations will not be smoothed out as before.

this translates as thrust which will act on your con rods, bearings and engine mounts. so effectively by lightening up the fw you are sacrificing the life of components you have in the engine.

i am not sure how the power fluctuations would affect other parameters..

ice is this correct? this thing just struck me as i was contemplating to do the same...

Last edited by Harrie : 18th March 2005 at 13:32. Reason: spell check
Old 18th March 2005, 14:02   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrie
this translates as thrust which will act on your con rods, bearings and engine mounts. so effectively by lightening up the fw you are sacrificing the life of components you have in the engine.
This question has been debated for a long time but the fact is by lightening the Crank (Knife edging), flywheel and the underdrive pulleys you do decrease torque but increase BHP as it is lesser mass that the piston has to push. However it is mandatory that these be balanced for High RPM's else it could lead to catastrophic failure of parts.

Let us be clear mods to this level would mean that a person is trying to squeeze the last bits of power from his engine(i.e. the engine is already being pushed to the limit and already has a reduced life.)
Old 18th March 2005, 20:13   #8
BHPian

Dudes,
yes, the level of mods we are talkin' about here are all 'bout power! read.. shortened engine life! ( god knows shortend human life too! ) so i'm fully aware that these mods will shorten engine life drastically, but i dont care as i want POWER! i'd rather die now than drive a car other than mine which screams POWER all the way!!!!!
power to the dudes! (till fuel lasts in this planet!!!)
Old 18th March 2005, 20:24   #9
BHPian

bros, lightening the flywheel equates to faster revving of the engine and better engine braking too as there's less mass to move during deceleration. not very good for the engine life wise , but who the hell's lookin for engine life at this stage...certainly not me! cheers

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks