Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th September 2008, 11:48   #1
BHPian

Modded Skoda RS Dyno Graph

Hello,
This is the dyno graph of a skoda RS with a bigger turbo,front mounted cooler,cold air intake....and may be some thing else.I dint look under the hood for anything else.
I owner came in and told me that it was a 250+hp car.After the dyno run,it showed only 170hp=196bhp....This graph doesnt have a flat spot,but has no power at high rpms,all torque only
I think the tuner should revise his claim of the 250+ hp and work towards the high rpm potiential of this engine.Since its a remap,only he can sort it out.

Another rs also came in and was a bit dissapointed to see lower hp from what he was told.But then he was told to wait for another dyno,saying may be mine was worng.I have even heard that people are being told that my dyno is a used,old second hand dyno,which is untrue.Its was bought new and is about a year old now after bieng installed.
After doing 2 remaped cars,I am sure my dyno is right and the remap is wrong.

Karan
Attached Thumbnails
Modded Skoda RS Dyno Graph-dr.jpg  

Old 11th September 2008, 11:58   #2
Team-BHP Support

250BHP at tne crank.
Taking transmission etc., losses to be 20%(? too high or too low) the car should show around 190-200BHP, right?
Looks like this one makes around 210bhp at the crank.
What is the highest bhp you have found in a skoda(modded)?
And can you post dyno chart of a bone stock RS for comparison, because that will tell the actual %% improvement for the vehicle, right?
Old 11th September 2008, 12:37   #3
Team-BHP Support

I have a bone stock RS. Monkey was going to take it and use it as a reference. I guess he got busy.
Old 11th September 2008, 12:39   #4
Team-BHP Support

Navin, you were planning on redlining your caron the dyno?

Send N_C's car instead. While dynoing his car maybe some tweaks can be made to give better mileage.
Old 11th September 2008, 12:43   #5
Team-BHP Support

196bhp at the wheels should be around 235bhp at the crank taking 20% losses?
Old 11th September 2008, 12:47   #6
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (10)

I suppose everyone is aware that all engines from the factory have some tolerance levels. That is not every RS will have a output of 150 bhp to the dot. Depending on the state of tune of the bone stock engine, if its putting out 140 bhp (say) the difference after a remap might also be 10 bhp less. Then you have transmission losses and a whole lot of other hogwash.

Also, I am beginning to wonder if the de-tune to 150 bhp for India is only a software de-tune or is it hardware as well. Maybe lower compression, restrictive exhaust/intake, lower cam profiles etc. This is something only Skoda can tell.

I believe the dyno figures given by most re-map companies is based on the engines sold in Europe or other countries where there is no de-tuning, fuel quality is at its optimum best amongst other pointers. I think we as customers in India should look at the percentage gained by the mods before and after. That would be the only fair indication of the money spent being worth it or not.

The minute we get into the number games, it gets a lot messier, often resulting in a dissatisfied experience purely because of not meeting the claimed figures. This doesn't take away the fact that there has been a tremendous increase in performance compared to the stock tune.
Old 11th September 2008, 19:45   #7
BHPian

I like to add one more to mclaren , fuel quality too. But the tuner who remapped should check his stuff before marketing. And I think you are refering to peter??
Old 11th September 2008, 23:06   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mclaren1885 View Post
Also, I am beginning to wonder if the de-tune to 150 bhp for India is only a software de-tune or is it hardware as well. Maybe lower compression, restrictive exhaust/intake, lower cam profiles etc. This is something only Skoda can tell.
Only software lock. The same 150 hp is also sold on other VW cars abroad (can't remember which ones) and the engines are shipped down from VW without any alterations.
Old 11th September 2008, 23:32   #9
Distinguished - BHPian

KS Motorsport,

I couldnt figure out what you were trying to communicate from your post/this thread:

1. Badly tuned RS
2. Lower stock RS figures compared to Skoda estimates
3. Integrity of the dyno.

Could you please clarify which/all of the above?! Thanks.
Old 12th September 2008, 00:35   #10
Senior - BHPian

Skoda Claims 150 bhp on the vRs
how much is it through the dyno. ( Stock )
Old 12th September 2008, 08:42   #11
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (10)

Quote:
Originally Posted by west View Post
I like to add one more to mclaren , fuel quality too. But the tuner who remapped should check his stuff before marketing. And I think you are refering to peter??
I have already mentioned the fuel quality issue in my post. And no, I am not referring to Peter alone. I know there are many more tuning companies in India now offering re-maps (not tuning boxes) for diesel turbo's as well.
Old 12th September 2008, 12:04   #12
Senior - BHPian

are the owners of the remapped Octy-s happy after the mod?

Why aren't they complaining?
Old 12th September 2008, 12:40   #13
BHPian

Here if its petes, they get remaps from customcode, petes doesnt know basic of remap I believe, he just pumps the remap into the car, more like petrol. If any problem, he sends to UK on line on errors. Custom code remaps are tested on many vehicles and are just fine. Only problem is temperature in country is a different and also Fuel quality. And if you see petes flashing his laptop like we have seen in petes dayout, hes just showing off nothing else. Hes good in marketing and aftersales, not good but best. But he should look at his bhp numbers before confusing the customer, thats what the whole thread is about. Like said there are more advanced remaps that custom code or AKA petes, like revotechnik, APR etc... which are of equal or better quality than custom code.
Old 12th September 2008, 13:45   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by theMAG View Post
KS Motorsport,

I couldnt figure out what you were trying to communicate from your post/this thread:

1. Badly tuned RS
2. Lower stock RS figures compared to Skoda estimates
3. Integrity of the dyno.

Could you please clarify which/all of the above?! Thanks.
Thank you for allowing me to make my point clear.
1.Yes,badly tuned RS.Only 170 hp when promised much more
3.Yes,integrity of the dyno was questioned when i had done Yuvraj`s black skoda.

The graph that I have put up, is for a car that has a clutch changed to a high clamping one.Then the drivetrain loss should be calculated at not more that 15%.

After seeing "Mad monkeys" graph at 140hp which is only on a remap,this car with a bigger turbo,FMIC and a remap making only 170 dint seem right to me.
While I was running mad monkeys car on the rollers,a person standing next to the car asked if I had let off the throttle half way through and floored it again?.The flat spot could be heard !
A dyno may show inaccurate HP numbers,but it will not "produce" flat spots.
I am not saying that the car dint make HP,all I am saying that the promised HP dint show out the roller.

This a graph of a stock RS

Karan
Attached Thumbnails
Modded Skoda RS Dyno Graph-gautam.jpg  

Old 12th September 2008, 13:54   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by planet_rocker View Post
are the owners of the remapped Octy-s happy after the mod?

Why aren't they complaining?
May be u should talk to mad monkey.He looked so depressed after the run that I thought he would need some kind of therapy.

After I told him that the other car with the bigger turbo was not any far from his,I saw the expression on his face,like "Oh,then i am not the only one suffering"

Karan

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
196bhp at the wheels should be around 235bhp at the crank taking 20% losses?
Hey akshay,

Its 169hp, so that would mean 195BHP......may be u are reading some thing wrong brother

Karan

Last edited by Technocrat : 12th September 2008 at 14:05.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks