Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th September 2008, 10:49   #16
BHPian

I managed to find an online PDF copy of the 2004 Toyota Corolla Service Manual. It says there that the Disc Rotor thickness should be between 25mm to 23mm. Similarly Brake pad thickness should be 11mm to 1mm.

Another thing, I got my rear disc brake pads replaced during the last service around 2k kms ago. Back then there was no mention of the rear discs needing any change at all. And when I received the old replaced spare I found that one of the inner brake pads had worn out to 1mm whereas the 2 outer and the other inner pad still had quite a lot of life left in them. They were a good 5-8mm thick.

This left me wondering, is there something wrong with my brake balance?? How could just one inner pad wear so badly while the others havent shown that much wear on them?? I don't mind spending 15k on the OE spares. But I just want to make sure that it does require attention and that I am not being ripped off.

I would love to have a second opinion. In fact I might take the car to the Lanson Toyota in Koyembedu today time permitting. I first want my brake balance checked.

Anyone want to venture a guess why there is such an uneven wear on the rear brake pads??
Old 18th September 2008, 10:56   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRD View Post
hey flipsyde,
there must be some explanation as to how your discs are so worn out in 5 years at 58k. my corolla is 4 years old with 68500 on the odo (non abs first gen corolla), I had a free replacement of the rear discs and front left disc because of a factory defect of uneven wear and overall strange on road behavior. This was in 2005 when the car was 1 yr old. After getting that done, the car has run 50-55k on those brakes. The disc cutting has been done just once and ofcourse the brake pads have been changed but nothing major.

What I would suggest is, ask your dealer to do a thorough check on your braking system. Whether the pressure of the brakes is even . Since your car is also a non-abs first gen version, may be there is a factory defect with the brake master cylinder or the booster.

Just to ensure that this doesnt happen again after another 30,000kms. And oh yes i would suggest the OEM brakes, 15k is not so bad for a 11 lac car.(at 5 years)
Are the points in bold common with the first gen Corolla? i mean did quite a few cars have this braking issue?? If there is uneven wear would I be entitled to any free replacement. This might be pushing my luck as the car is 5 years old and I'm the second owner and to top it all the previous owner used non-oe front brake pads. Toyota throws such a fit over non-oe components.
Old 18th September 2008, 12:28   #18
JRD
BHPian

Nope, it is not common for first gen corolla's but you never know. I for all was furious when I found out about the defect in my car. But may be a few might have some issues, and trust me toyota makes sure that the customer wont have any complaints (I Dont).

In your case its a far stretch to expect a free replacement, since your car is 5 years old. But definitely take another opinion at a different dealer and find out whats wrong with the brakes so that your money will be put to good genuine use.

Quote:
Originally Posted by flipsyde View Post
Are the points in bold common with the first gen Corolla? i mean did quite a few cars have this braking issue?? If there is uneven wear would I be entitled to any free replacement. This might be pushing my luck as the car is 5 years old and I'm the second owner and to top it all the previous owner used non-oe front brake pads. Toyota throws such a fit over non-oe components.
Old 6th November 2008, 16:27   #19
BHPian

Issues with my May 2008 Corolla

I am facing a strange issue with my Corolla H5 bought in 6 months back. I am based in Bangalore. Whenever I shift gear (especially 1st to 2nd and 4th to 5th). I get a slight jerk. I have taken the car twice to Ravindu Toyota they as they are usually known for did not acknolwedge the problem. After I made a big hue and cry those guys asked one of their so called senior technician to check.

He came on test ride with me and to my surprise gave a brilliant suggestion to change gear with half clutch pressed . Anyhow again I hade a hue and cry with their service manage and he got the clutch bleeding done..it's been 4 weeks since then but the issue still remains.

I wanted to know from the Corolla owners if they also feel a slight jerk while changing gears and also suggest if Nandi Toyota has a better service than Ravindu? Or any other local Toyota mechanic in Bangalore for getting the car checked?

PS: Mod please remove the post and put in the correct thread incase this is not the right place.
Old 6th November 2008, 19:40   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by autopsyche View Post
Wow, thats a lot of braking you must be doing doc!

My corolla has 40k kms on the odo and all i have done is replaced the brake pads once at little before 30k, otherwise the braking is as perfect when the car was out of the showroom. And I see no signs of changing the discs for a long time to come.
Yeah Arush, It's my car in which the brakes make me loose confidence, my dad's car brakes real strong, however it's just my craziness that I get my brakes replaced so often. I do drive real hard though, so yeah the brakes wear out fast...

However also bear in mind that both my Corollas are ATs, and their brakes bite a lot harder than the MTs, so perhaps that's a factor...

@onesomeone, strange that it's only happening between 1st and 2nd and 4th and 5th, perhaps it's driving style?

Does the clutch have good bite?
Old 6th November 2008, 20:41   #21
BHPian

@Docg, thanks for responding to my query. I have driven several cars but never noticed such a strange jerk in any of the cars. I tried releasing clutch in all fashion (Quickly and slowly). Even when done slowly towards the end when I fully dis-engage the cluth it gives a jerk (Like loss of power for a fraction of second). Though I change gear at around 1600-1800 RPM.

PS: I am new to the technical terms, so do you mind explaining in more layman term what you meant does the clutch have good bite? Sorry for coming accross as a dud :-( still learning you see..
Old 26th December 2008, 17:59   #22
BANNED

My Corolla(old model) has run over 40000km & brake pads need change. The agency is quoting 8k for pads & labour extra. I feel this is too steep a price, can someone guide on correct prices of brake pads for Corolla?

Also, can I get brake pads from outside, I mean not the OEM ones, any other good ones, I think these should cost significantly less!
Old 26th December 2008, 18:11   #23
Senior - BHPian

bhp1 I dont think you should cut corners for something as significant as brakes. I agree the price is a little on the higher side but then atleast you can be assured of quality.

Just my 2 cents
Old 26th December 2008, 19:07   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sammyboy View Post
bhp1 I dont think you should cut corners for something as significant as brakes.
+ 1 to that. The price of a brake failure would be much more than what you save on the pads - you really dont want to be going down that path.
Old 26th December 2008, 22:08   #25
BANNED

Thanks Sammy & Steroid, but the service manager & chief technician at Toyota suggested that brake pads from outside market are equally good & hell of a lot cheaper. Afterall brake pad is a brake pad!

I just wanted someone to confirm the prices of original ones from Toyota, to be sure that the dealer is not scrapping me!
Old 26th December 2008, 22:25   #26
BHPian

just because the pads are not OEM doesn't mean they're bad. Yes I feel the best options would be EBC greenstuffs or Hawks. If you need rotors, please get blanks and not cross drilled or slotted ones. but make shure that the person fitting them is really experienced...

My Corollas run stock pads, but that's because my dad hates anything non OEM. My DD on the other hand needs new pads now, and redstuffs are on their way here...
Old 26th December 2008, 22:29   #27
BANNED

Thanks DocG, yes thats my point too!
In either case, a Toyota techinician would be doing the fitting.
But any idea about costs of both OEM & non OE?
If non OE can be procured significantly cheaper, then they are worth.
Old 27th December 2008, 18:21   #28
BANNED

I wouldn't put any non Toyota part in a Toyota unless it is to improve or upgrade stock performance. Period!

Should I still say something more?
Get a Tarox or any other stage 2 brake upgrade if needed. Else buy OEM.
Old 27th December 2008, 21:14   #29
BHPian

well to be honest, the corolla is just one of those cars which is blessed, the OEM brakes are extremely good for the power put out.

however if you feel the pads are expensive, then yes there are tons of good options out there, I don't think that tarrox makes pads for the jap cars, but it's worth a try.

It's ok to go for any good name brand brake pad such as

EBC, Tarrox, Hawk, beck arnley etc...

However only EBC and Beck Arnley have pads which fit a Corolla, so choose between those. Both companies are really good, so you can go in for either...

My vote would go to EBC greenstuffs as I have redstuffs on my car in the US, my brother is running redstuffs as well but also with brembo rotors...We're both really happy.

I have used Beck Arnley replacement discs in my Galant, and they're really good at that, but never tried their pads.

hope I could be of some help. I can answer any specific questions you may have as to aftermarket pads, as I've been using them for years on some of my cars.
Old 27th December 2008, 21:41   #30
BANNED

Thanks Speedzak, I was a little bent upon non OEM as parts sold by dealerships are many times expensive than the ones available outside. Dealerships just charge the extra premium, but though quality is guranteed.
Are the ones you mentioned cheaper than the OEM ones?

Thanks DocG, I would have to disagree with you on Corolla being blessed one! From what Ive come to know through my first hand experience, Corolla's brakes are not the greatest. Let me share another of Toyota's vices with you, its a company that uses cost cutting extensively, translating into not using the best materials because those are usually expensive. Eg. my car came without even ABS, a necessary piece of equipment for high speeding cars, resulting in below par breaking performance, the wheels lock up at slightest of touch & send the car into dance mode.

I could really try out the other brands you mentioned, if they are available locally, which I don't think they would be!
What about other local brands, should I play with them? I would like to avoid extra costs, as I might sell of the car soon, never liked it actually from the start!

Thanks for your inputs, they were informative.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks