Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th September 2008, 11:30   #1
BHPian

Solar Cells to charge the car battery

Hi All,

This is something I have been thinking abt for years and see that now it's availbale in international markets.

I always wanted to charge my battery using solar cells. I saw the same around 4 months back in pimp my ride when they installed the solar panel on the spoiler which is connected to the battery and charges it evrytime you are in the sun.

There is a cut-off to prevent overcharging.

I always wanted to install the same on my beamer and 800 <now Sold> , now swift.

Any suggestions, whether it's available here in India??
Old 18th September 2008, 11:41   #2
Senior - BHPian

Your battery gets charged every time you are driving, in any case. Why would you or anyone need such a charger in a running car?
Old 18th September 2008, 11:45   #3
Team-BHP Support

Its available from many websites at price of around 12-15$
Only useful if you are parking the car for few months in the sun.
Or if you have a weak alternator.
Old 18th September 2008, 11:48   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sudipto-S-Team View Post
Your battery gets charged every time you are driving, in any case. Why would you or anyone need such a charger in a running car?
Any specific reason to do so. Are you planning to run some big gadget in you car
Old 18th September 2008, 12:00   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

Also useful if you forgetfully leave your headlights on while parking in the morning.
At the end of the day when you come to the parking lot, you will not need to "dhakka-start" or "jump-start" the car if you had the solar charger.
Assumptions:
1. a reasonably sunny day and
2. a car does not remind you of the headlights being on while taking the key out

Both the assumptions are reasonably true in most cases in India.

And...I remember my brother listened to music (with the fan on 4 and A/C button pressed...i.e. the A/C magnetic clutch engaged. He did not know that A/C would run only when engine is running so was thinking why it was not cooling at all) in the car while it was parked by the roadside while waiting for me. I was back in 30 minutes, but the car could not start (battery drained).

May be the solar charger would help in such situations too...
Old 18th September 2008, 12:15   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anandpadhye View Post
Also useful if you forgetfully leave your headlights on while parking in the morning.
At the end of the day when you come to the parking lot, you will not need to "dhakka-start" or "jump-start" the car if you had the solar charger.

And...I remember my brother listened to music (with the fan on 4 and A/C button pressed...i.e. the A/C magnetic clutch engaged. He did not know that A/C would run only when engine is running so was thinking why it was not cooling at all) in the car while it was parked by the roadside while waiting for me. I was back in 30 minutes, but the car could not start (battery drained).

May be the solar charger would help in such situations too...
Yup, Above reasons are valid. I remember, when I had parked my 800 <now Sold>, switched the engine off and sat listening to music to cool down from a very hectic drive , also had put the fan on and voila withing 30 mins , battery is drained.
Old 18th September 2008, 12:20   #7
Team-BHP Support

It won't be very useful in such scenarios, since its a trickle charger. It will take close to 100 hours or of sunlight to bring battery back to capacity.
This is more like a maintenance mode.
For example you are going for a month and not disconnecting battery, and you have some security system that draws little current, to compensate for that this will do.
Old 18th September 2008, 12:30   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

And I just saw this:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/shifti...-tv-worth.html

Well...a slight enhancement (and simplification) of this idea will be possible if you had the solar battery charger.

When you park in open, leave the fan ON at 1 or 2, keep it in fresh air mode, roll up all the windows, lock the car and leave. No worries about theft and when you come back to the car, it will be much cooler due to fresh air circulation.

Of course, wiring has to change in order to allow running the fan with no keys in place...but that should not be a big deal, I think.

What say?
Old 18th September 2008, 13:36   #9
BHPian

Actually , I've tried and tested the mentioned product.

It did help keep the car cooler than before when parked in the sun for long.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks