Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th September 2008, 17:38   #1
Senior - BHPian

Air Filter - Power v/s FE

Hi Guys ! ! !

I am planning to install a K&N Conical air filter on my OHC Vtec.

I have a few questions to ask before i do/or may conclude not to install the filter.

1. Will installing the filter reduce my FE?(this is my daily drive and my prime focus is on FE, then comes power and pickup)
2. Will the K&N Replacement(panel) be better than the conical in terms of FE?
3. Should i stick to the stock filter if i prefer FE?
4. Any other mod that you suggest for improving FE?

Currently my car is totally stock and gives me 9kmpl with ac in city.
Old 25th September 2008, 17:54   #2
Senior - BHPian

Go in for the conical K&N. Its got a nice roar to it.
Old 25th September 2008, 18:10   #3
Senior - BHPian

I know what you are talking about Dan but then cant be sure about the FE aspect

Quote:
Originally Posted by danlalan View Post
Go in for the conical K&N. Its got a nice roar to it.
Old 25th September 2008, 19:18   #4
Senior - BHPian

AFAIK it will give you lower FE than with the stock air filter
Old 25th September 2008, 19:27   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

@KSM, we have quite a few threads on K&N's, CottonGreens, & other performance filters. Have you checked these ?
Old 25th September 2008, 23:20   #6
BHPian

There will not be a diff in fuel effeciency at all and there is chances of getting more FE than the original. But i will suggest u to go for Stock K&N filter rather than the Conical one. As i had lot of problem in Engine smoothness and ride.I am going to replace it.
Old 26th September 2008, 09:31   #7
Senior - BHPian

Which car did you have a problem in?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashok_lat View Post
There will not be a diff in fuel effeciency at all and there is chances of getting more FE than the original. But i will suggest u to go for Stock K&N filter rather than the Conical one. As i had lot of problem in Engine smoothness and ride.I am going to replace it.
Old 26th September 2008, 09:51   #8
BHPian

The FE will depend on the way you drive after the install. If you happen to go in for a conical then the induction roar will force you to rev more, while driving and while idling, just hear the sound, this results in change in driving style and will affect the FE(will lower definately!)
Otherwise what the conical high-flow filter will do is de-restrict intake air-flow resulting in better combustion and slight power gain. which should ideally improve FE.
So if you continue driving with the new performance filter the way you do right now without it then you would get the same FE or possibly a little better.

But trust me once you start hearing that lovely induction roar, you wont be driving the same way.
Old 26th September 2008, 10:03   #9
Senior - BHPian

Exactly....thats what i dread. Will the replacement filter also give a similar roar? Will it effect the FE like the conical?

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhik View Post
The FE will depend on the way you drive after the install. If you happen to go in for a conical then the induction roar will force you to rev more, while driving and while idling, just hear the sound, this results in change in driving style and will affect the FE(will lower definately!)
Otherwise what the conical high-flow filter will do is de-restrict intake air-flow resulting in better combustion and slight power gain. which should ideally improve FE.
So if you continue driving with the new performance filter the way you do right now without it then you would get the same FE or possibly a little better.

But trust me once you start hearing that lovely induction roar, you wont be driving the same way.
Old 26th September 2008, 12:19   #10
BHPian

The replacement filter is just a long lasting version of the stock one. I really dont think the difference in performance is tremendous but yes due to it being less restricted, it definately helps a little.
So what you get with the stock replacement is
*Hassle free fitment(open-drop in-shut-go....and dont forget to pay the guy ).
*One time expenditure and freedom from replacing it on every service.
*A tad bit increase in performance and FE.
*Little or No induction noise.

Whereas

the High-flow Conical one will give you apart from the second point mentioned above:-
*Fairly greater performance(noticeable).
*Induction noise(i would prefer it a music to ears!)
*Possible decrease in FE due to aggressive driving style due to increased performance.
*Ensuring the filter is located at a place where it is getting ample COLD air to suck and away from hot areas in the engine bay(like over the head, near headers, engine block etc).

Another factor which might affect you decision is the price.
The stock replacement filter of the VTEC will be just about Rs.300-500odd cheaper than a conical one.

When i bought a KnN conical for my Ikon, i just asked the dealer out of curiosity about the price of the stock replacement and the prices(as far as my memory serves me)were:-
Conical-Rs.4800
Stock Replacement-Rs.4450

I would suggest go for the conical because from what i have heard, Mumbai traffic will not allow spirited driving and you will have performance when you need it plus if in future you decide upon a FFE the High-Flow Conical will complement it well in terms fo performance.

Now you decide!

Last edited by abhik : 26th September 2008 at 12:24.
Old 26th September 2008, 12:56   #11
BHPian

Firstly what is the difference between a stock and a K&N air filter? I K&N filters the air more efficiently and pours in more cleaner air into the engine leading to a better combustion hence the requirement of fuel is lesser.

Since the K&N filter more impurities in the air it obviously gets dirty sooner than the stock. Hence you have to clean it on regular intervals. Considering you are in Mumbai I think you can go easily for 3k-5k KM for a clean.

Also K&N can be cleaned unlike the stock hence you don't have a recurring cost.

I am from Mumbai and have fitted a K&N Apollo in my Scorpio 2 yrs ago. Still running on it. Infact I know the K&N dealer personally and would be visiting him tomorrow near Crossroads (Haji Ali) If you want we can meetup there and I can intoroduce you to him and you get your doubts cleared also. I have PM you my number.
Old 26th September 2008, 14:47   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by moleculez View Post
pours in more cleaner air into the engine
Not necessarily my friend. I have read of instances where the inner portion of the air-intake pipe was a little dirtier as compared to stock filter. I have personally found the throttle body (a little)dirtier than earlier but that was not a whole lot to worry about.
Old 26th September 2008, 15:15   #13
Senior - BHPian

Guys i know for sure that the conical AF will give me better performance, but what i am still not clear about is the FE part of it. Is the replacement AF better on the FE front, or both are the same?
Old 26th September 2008, 15:18   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSM-Vtec View Post
Which car did you have a problem in?
I am having an Alto LXI .....
Old 26th September 2008, 15:23   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhik View Post
The replacement filter is just a long lasting version of the stock one. I really dont think the difference in performance is tremendous but yes due to it being less restricted, it definately helps a little.
So what you get with the stock replacement is
*Hassle free fitment(open-drop in-shut-go....and dont forget to pay the guy ).
*One time expenditure and freedom from replacing it on every service.
*A tad bit increase in performance and FE.
*Little or No induction noise.

Whereas

the High-flow Conical one will give you apart from the second point mentioned above:-
*Fairly greater performance(noticeable).
*Induction noise(i would prefer it a music to ears!)
*Possible decrease in FE due to aggressive driving style due to increased performance.
*Ensuring the filter is located at a place where it is getting ample COLD air to suck and away from hot areas in the engine bay(like over the head, near headers, engine block etc).

Another factor which might affect you decision is the price.
The stock replacement filter of the VTEC will be just about Rs.300-500odd cheaper than a conical one.

When i bought a KnN conical for my Ikon, i just asked the dealer out of curiosity about the price of the stock replacement and the prices(as far as my memory serves me)were:-
Conical-Rs.4800
Stock Replacement-Rs.4450

I would suggest go for the conical because from what i have heard, Mumbai traffic will not allow spirited driving and you will have performance when you need it plus if in future you decide upon a FFE the High-Flow Conical will complement it well in terms fo performance.

Now you decide!
More over the Conical filter is very difficult to maintain. It has to be covered with Polythene cover on every water wash inside the bonnet. And should not be started with covering it. We our self have to take care of it. More over you cannot use on rainy days as it can spoil the filter.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks