Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd October 2008, 17:19   #1
BHPian

Dashboard Painting Job in Indigo

Hi All,

For quite some days, I wanted to make my car look new from inside since I was bored of the same grey color interiors which had gone dull by time. At few places there were dirty patches, thanks to those mechanics and the Mumbai driving roads full of dust. The amount of dust that enters the car cabin with rolled down windows, is enough to spoil the overall look over a period of 5 yrs.

To have that new car feeling, I had two options, either to actually get a new car or change the look of the existing one so as to make it look new. The first option however, was not possible since I could not afford a new car atleast now. So the only option was to go for upholstery work and change the look.

I already have black leather seats and they are real good, so there was no question of me changing the seats, what remained was the dirty dash and mats and door pads and the carpets..I had been for an Auto expo held in 2006 in Bandra-Kurla complex, and one day while cleaning my house, found the visitng card of 'The Paint Shop' based in Jogeshwari. I quickly called up the contact person and learnt that it would take atleast 20-25K for a dashboard refinish which was way beyond my thoughts. I quickly discarded that. I also enquired at few places, but got a quote which I got was above 15K anyways. Some mechanics even said that it is not good to paint the dashboard since the color will chip and it will look even dull.

While spending some free time googling, I just happened to see some videos on youtube which showed some peoeple actually doing upholstery work themselves in their backyards. They were using dupli-color paint sprays for this. I went through quite some videos and got the confidence that I may be able to do something similar and save vitamin -M..!!! I even searched about the primer qualities and learnt that primer allows good color fixation and it bonds the color well with the surface. After enough of reading, I decided to take the risk and do the paint job myself.

Since school days, I was good at drawing and painting and was condifent that whatever I do would be equally of good quality.

I searched more on the net and gathered the list of all the necessary items I would require for the paint job. On a weekend, started searching for such sprays in the local market and quickly came across Bosny and Sefco paint sprays which were handy and cheap as well.

I purchased the bare minimum material- a polish paper, a flat black paint, a pair of gloves and a primer paint all costing 400 bucks. Came home and being a holiday went to my car parking with a screwdriver and detached the speaker grills on the dash and the door panels. These were the most easily and quickly detacheable parts I could have got. Came home and washed them with soap and a scrubber and dried them under sun for complete removal of any water drops. I then started polishing them for removing the stuck particles and to make the surface a bit rough for the primer to hold. After I cleaned them, I thought of removing the glove box cover and the part below the stearing (Indica/Indigo owners would know which part I am talking about). They were easily detachable as well. I did the same pre-color treatment of washing and drying and then polishing them with the sand paper.

By now, all parts were ready to shed their skin and wear a new one. I made some final preparations and then started priming the parts. The color sprays needs to be shaken for quite a few minutes for the color pigments to be properly mixed inside the spray.

Spraying the whole thing was as easy as one-two-three and within minutes, all the parts were looking as new with a new shade of grey, the primer color. These sprays are quick drying so just putting them under the fan for 15-20 mins was enough for them to quickly dry up. After around 45 mins, I did one more round of priming to make the surface look even more smooth and put them for drying. Remember, not to put them for drying in the open sun, since the dust particles sticking to the wet paint may spoil the smoothness. After semi drying you can put them under the Sun for total drying of the surface. Another hour later, the surfaces were totally dry and ready to take the actual color.

My car color is silver and have black color leather seats. I was actually thinking of making the interior color beige, but later thought of making it in some different color, since I heard that beige color interiors require more maintenance and cleaning to keep them looking fresh. After much thinking, I thought why not keep the same color as the car and the seats. So finalised on the dashboard color to be silver and black. All the AC vents which are already black will be as it is even the center console. I decided to make the glove box cover, the compartment under the steering, The rim around the odo console and the ring around the digital clock to be black and the remaining dashboard to be flat silver(without shining). The door pads would also be made silver and the fabric would be kept as it is along with the door handle. Again the seat side panels would be silver. I am also thinking of painting the wheel caps in silver since the current ones have many scratches and also look dull.

I have uploaded a few pics of the before, primed and after color job. Would post more as and when I complete the paint job.

I would be more than happy to receive suggestions and inputs from all.

Thanks ..
Rahul Korde
Attached Thumbnails
Dashboard Painting Job in Indigo-before-painting1.jpg  

Dashboard Painting Job in Indigo-before-painting2.jpg  

Dashboard Painting Job in Indigo-after-priming1.jpg  

Dashboard Painting Job in Indigo-after-priming2.jpg  

Dashboard Painting Job in Indigo-after-priming3.jpg  

Dashboard Painting Job in Indigo-after-painting1_single-.jpg  

Dashboard Painting Job in Indigo-after-painting2_single-.jpg  

rahulya007 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 3rd October 2008, 18:54   #2
Senior - BHPian

Rahul, You've done a good job indeed. And for 400 bucks, its a steal.
Please post a review after a few months to let us know if there is any chipping etc....

What are you planning on painting next. Maybe, I should use the same treatment for my black bumpers. It could do with some treatment, since the colour is fading.
Old 3rd October 2008, 19:26   #3
Senior - BHPian

The job looks well executed.

Btw am a bit confused after reading file names of images, because they indicate that before painting the color was black(the center console has sticker too) & the you used gray color primer & then painted them black again??
Old 3rd October 2008, 19:39   #4
BANNED

Wow! That's some good effort gone in there. May the DIY gods shower happiness on you.

Please post some pictures after everything is put back on the car.
Old 3rd October 2008, 20:00   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technocrat View Post
The job looks well executed.

Btw am a bit confused after reading file names of images, because they indicate that before painting the color was black(the center console has sticker too) & the you used gray color primer & then painted them black again??
If you compare the two
The same black has been repainted to black again
and the grey has been done to black too
Old 3rd October 2008, 20:31   #6
BHPian

@Rahul...
A neat work done there with a fair amount patience and effort.
It was a good decision to go for black. The beige 'd ve been made your job tougher in the finishing part.
Old 3rd October 2008, 22:03   #7
BHPian

Dashboard Painting Job in Indigo

Hi All,

To answer your few queries:

Technocraft / Abhinav Gupta: The initial images that you see are with the original stock grey color of the dashboard, since its a bit dull and also the images were taken in a bit less light, hence it may appear a bit dark (almost close to dark grey or black) as you said. If you see the first/second image, you can see the servicing sticker of HAN Motors put under the steering wheel, on the compartment cover.

The original color was polished and primer was applied to enable the actual color to hold nicely, as I have mentioned in the description. The 3rd, 4th and 5th images that you can see those of the primed ones.

Next two images(in black) are after the first coat of black was applied. The surface still seems a bit rough or unfinished. I have already polished the parts and applied the second coat of black and now it looks more finished that it is in the 6th and 7th image. Will post the images of the finished parts soon.

Lalvaz: While i was trying to remove the unevenness of the color after the first coat of black, with a polish paper, I was not able to get the paint out even after sufficient amount of force being applied. That itself showed that the color will not chip as some of the mechanics/painters said when I had enquired. I can confidently say that the color won't chip. In your case, since you have said that you would only require some treatment, I would still suggest you scrub the old paint and then use a plastic primer and then the desired color. This will definately give you a more plain finish. If done otherwise on the existing one, the surface may look uneven due to the previously applied color coat. Finally, its your call to decide.

Its not only about patience, when you do such things on your own. What you require is more of a keen eye to find out even small irregularities and then the patience to redo the things till you get a smooth finish.

This is the first time I have undertaken such a paint job, but believe me, I was not expecting the result would be so nice. This has given me immense confidence and some more knowledge to strip my dashboard from my local mechanic and then do the paint job myself..

Keep posting your reviews and queries, I would be more than happy to answer your queries or consider your valuable suggestions.

Warm Regards..

Rahul K
Old 3rd October 2008, 22:11   #8
BHPian

Since the parts that you see in the photos above are almost done with a second coat of black applied, I am now thinking of painting the odo console rim and then take up the door trims. Dash board will be done last. Will surely keep posted about all my steps, since when I tried to find some posts with such steps and images, I could not find any. May be the steps I put will be helpful for someone else.
Old 5th October 2008, 00:45   #9
Senior - BHPian

Thanks Rahul this is clear now

Like Zak said please put pictures of the painted panels when they are put back in car
Old 6th October 2008, 13:06   #10
BHPian

Dashboard painting Job in Indigo

Hi guys,

Back again with some more pics...I'll be putting these in bits and pieces..since doing this job yourself and at a go is not possible..managing office work..

here are a few more pics of the odo console and digital clock rim.

I'll surely be putting the pics of the car after all these painted parts are put back on the car..but it will take time since I am yet to paint the complete dashboard. Mostly next week, i'll take up the door trims and seat side parts for painting..

Rahul K
Attached Thumbnails
Dashboard Painting Job in Indigo-odo-console_resized.jpg  

Dashboard Painting Job in Indigo-watch-console_resized.jpg  

rahulya007 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th October 2008, 21:16   #11
BHPian

@ rahulya007: This is one great DIY! appreciate your initiative.
like the new black look. waiting for the complete look of the interior.

Note from the Team-BHP Support : Please take the time to use proper punctuation as per Team-BHP rules. Avoid...typing...like...this. Thanks.

Last edited by Technocrat : 9th October 2008 at 19:30. Reason: see note in post
Old 6th October 2008, 21:20   #12
Senior - BHPian

Wow, excellent work. It looks so neat, clean and great.
Good job. You right, any work if did with full love and interest, will definetely yield a lot better.
Old 6th October 2008, 21:52   #13
Senior - BHPian

what about the silver bits ?
Old 6th October 2008, 22:11   #14
BHPian

Haven't bought the can of silver yet... I am just finishing off with whatever parts I have to paint black. When that's over..will take up the silver thing.

I am almost done with the list of parts to be painted black..now what remains are the silver ones..starting with the seat lining caps and then the door trims...and then the center console around the gear shift.

Rahul K
Old 9th October 2008, 06:29   #15
BHPian

I have put back whatever parts I have painted black and the dash is looking cool..with the new grey black combi..I am eager to paint the remaining thing to silver...but tied up with some work...will post the pictures soon.

Rahul K

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks