Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th October 2008, 08:56   #1
BHPian

Suspension upgrade for an Opel Corsa ( sedan )

My Opel Corsa is due for a Suspension change after grueling 60k kilometres in last 3 years. And yeah, I really put it to test on some roads

As the production of this car seized in 2006, parts availability has become a minor issue as all the parts are not stored with the local GM workshop inventory.
For example, the suspension needs to be ordered, and takes around 15- 20 days ( if not more ) to reach Pune.

So i thought, why the heck wait for 15 -20 days and get stock suspension replaced ? Better go for some sportier suspension !

What I am asking for, is basically something that fits straight into the stock mounts without any modifications.

Any pointers ? My budget hovers around 30k bracket. Anything more and i go bankrupt
( About spending this 30k thingy, there are lot of people who suggested me selling off the car instead. But it doesn't make sense. And one more thing - I love it so much that i wont let it go for another 5 years minimum :-D )

Last edited by hkanitkar : 7th October 2008 at 08:59.
Old 7th October 2008, 09:20   #2
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by hkanitkar View Post
So i thought, why the heck wait for 15 -20 days and get stock suspension replaced ? Better go for some sportier suspension !
What I am asking for, is basically something that fits straight into the stock mounts without any modifications.

Hi,

I think you first need to understand what comprises of a suspension. There are parts like, lower arm, ball joints, tie rod ends, steering ends, steering rack, stabilizer bushes, axle & shock absorber/struts & strut bushing/bump stop.

As far as performance suspension go generally it is referred to only the shocks & springs which is what you will get from brands like Koni, Eibach, Bilstein & D2 Racing. The rest of the stuff you have options of installing GM OE parts or suitable after market replacement brands both of which are available in Mumbai.

Viper
Old 7th October 2008, 09:31   #3
BHPian

@jiggy bhai - i was just gonna elaborate my post on points you mentioned. Thanks anyways !!

I am game for both options. In case if any of the shocks/springs require change of stock 'other stuff' - i dont mind that, given it wont cost a bomb.

Oh btw, I am quoted something in the region of 32k for a set of Konis ( need to get details ) in Pune - is that a fair price ?
Old 7th October 2008, 10:33   #4
BHPian

I'm not sure if Konis are bolt-on fits. Might require some cutting, resulting in never being able to go back to stock. Unless a company is making something aftermarket SPECIFICALLY for the Corsa, I don't think it's a wise idea to experiment with the "one-size-fits-all" type of suspension. This might end up changing the geometry of your car, and give you unending headaches at a very high price.
Even if something does fit into the stock mounts, is the rest of the car really made to take the harder ride? to me, If you don't stiffen it, there's really no point going aftermarket.
Having owned a Corsa myself, I think that the stock suspension is really nice. IMHO, that's just what you should get.
Old 7th October 2008, 13:15   #5
BHPian

point taken, Vikram and i must say yes. Corsa does have a good stock suspension.
But the problem is, my corsa came with a relatively stiff set as compared to my dad's corsa ( Even if dad's car is 2 years elder to mine, i dont think GM have tinkered with the suspension of a 'to be phased out' car then ).
So i am not really sure about the consistency in quality / parameters of any opel parts available now in the market, and thus doubt if it would as great as it used to be.
may be i am generalising a lot, but it is possible in India and i have experienced with minor parts of both the cars.

So any stock replacement sets that might go into the car ??
Old 8th October 2008, 14:58   #6
BHPian

Hi buddy,
I got a set of Konis installed in my Corsa. They sure are a bit stiffer but it rides like a dream. You'll just fall in love with the way she corners. Cost me 28k for the set. And yes, they are stock replacements for the Corsa.
Old 8th October 2008, 16:35   #7
BHPian

Hey adman - thanks a lot ! where did you source them from ?
Also, are you using the rest of the fittings ( ball joints/ lower arms/ bushes etc. ) just as they came stock or have you upgraded them too ??
Old 8th October 2008, 23:56   #8
Senior - BHPian

Don't intend to sound like a broken record.
But, I would highly recommend you check out Pedders' suspension.
Old 9th October 2008, 00:43   #9
BHPian

hey nitrous, thanks a lot for the suggestion.

Actually, thats what came to my mind first - have read about it somewhere on the forum itself - i think sAP has it on his corsa. But problem would be procuring the same ( unless someone here has the contacts ) and getting it fitted right here in Pune ( as i dont want to do it in mumbai - just in case if any problem arises, wont be able to drive it to mumbai - right ? And this is my only car )

sAP - where art thou ??
Old 10th October 2008, 10:41   #10
BHPian

@adman - How much difference is there in the ground clearance after you got the Konis ? The dealer here in pune ( Darshan Tyres ) is telling me it wont be more than an inch, but i need to get it confirmed.
Old 11th October 2008, 22:08   #11
BHPian

Quote:
@jiggy bhai - i was just gonna elaborate my post on points you mentioned. Thanks anyways !!

I am game for both options. In case if any of the shocks/springs require change of stock 'other stuff' - i dont mind that, given it wont cost a bomb.

Oh btw, I am quoted something in the region of 32k for a set of Konis ( need to get details ) in Pune - is that a fair price ?
I had some noise from the front suspensions of my Corsa for quite sometime. I thought that it needed new shocks. And Darshan Tyres quoted the same 32K for a set of 4 konis (without the springs). But when I showed it to Talera Motors, he said I needed a "Tierod". And as with Corsa parts, this was not available. Unlucky for me he had put this on another Corsa just an hr before I arived. So waiting for this tierod to arrive from Gujrat. But the suggestions I have got during this exercise are that the stock shocks are good on the Corsa.
Old 11th October 2008, 23:39   #12
BHPian

Hey buddy,
I got them from Four Seasons automobiles, Mumbai. I'm just using the Koni struts, everything else is stock. Planning to go for Eibach lowering springs next month maybe. The difference in ground clearence is not much. Planning some more major upgrades (might sound something like "whooooosh whooooosh") Will keep you posted.
Old 12th October 2008, 00:15   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scorp72 View Post
But the suggestions I have got during this exercise are that the stock shocks are good on the Corsa.
hey scorp, thanks a lot for that feedback on shocks. I am still 50-50 inclined about getting the Koni/Bilstein/Eibach OR keeping it stock. I am still trying to understand the differences it will make to the overall ride quality.

Quote:
Originally Posted by adman77 View Post
I'm just using the Koni struts, everything else is stock. Planning to go for Eibach lowering springs next month maybe.
hey adman - thanks a lot for the reply, buddy !
This springs up another doubt in my mind. How beneficial would that be, if I use only struts from koni, and keep the springs stock with the rest of the parts ?

PS : adman - surely looking forward to your updates !
Old 13th October 2008, 10:36   #14
BHPian

Quote:
hey adman - thanks a lot for the reply, buddy !
This springs up another doubt in my mind. How beneficial would that be, if I use only struts from koni, and keep the springs stock with the rest of the parts ?
That's just what I'm running right now. No issues whatsoever.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks