Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st October 2008, 17:53   #1

Bad odour after upholstery cleaning

While doing regular service on my Honda City I opted for Upholstery cleaning. My car has fabric upholstery. It looks like the service station guys used some shampoo and water (possibly) and the seats were damp (not wet) while taking delivery. I had kept the windows rolled half-way down overnight. Next morning onwards my car smells like there is a dead rat inside and it's been three days since I am having to put up with this odour. I really repent having opted for this cleaning routine.

Now that the deed is done, how can I get rid of this odour? The odour has subsided a little bit but at this rate I am not sure how long it's going to take.

I welcome any suggestions. In fact I badly need them.

Thanks...
Anand
Old 21st October 2008, 19:53   #2
Senior - BHPian

I had a similar problem once. The only thing that worked was to leave the car out in the sun and let it bake. Every hour or so open all the doors and windows and let some fresh air in.

PS: You can also try some air fresheners.
Old 21st October 2008, 22:20   #3
BHPian

Bad odour could be cos of rats... I guess only option is to leave it in the sun with the windows down at a safe place... like inside the compound of a house. air fresheners wont help. They are temp solutions, at best last for 10 mins...
Old 21st October 2008, 22:42   #4
Senior - BHPian

I can imagine your position, driving around in a foul smelling car can be really irritating. i sincerely hope the smell has subsided rather than you getting used to it (thats why you feel its subsided)
You could also try keeping a bar of soap in the car, it apperently soaks in all the bad odour, i havnt tried it myself but hope it works for you.
All the best
Old 22nd October 2008, 10:37   #5
GTO
Team-BHP Support

As mentioned already, I think it's the dampness that is causing the heavy odour in your car. Best to leave it parked out in sunlight and keep the windows open. Your seats aren't fully dry yet.
Old 22nd October 2008, 10:45   #6
Team-BHP Support

Do you have a large place to accommodate all the seats? If yes, pull them out of the car and keep them there for a few days. Considering current Bangalore weather, it may take a little long to dry completely.
Old 22nd October 2008, 11:26   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudra Sen View Post
Do you have a large place to accommodate all the seats? If yes, pull them out of the car and keep them there for a few days. Considering current Bangalore weather, it may take a little long to dry completely.
It many not just be the seats, but carpets too. It will be dificult to pull out the same.

I also had similar problem once - as suggested by others hot sun is the best option. (but not in today's Bangalore waether)
Old 22nd October 2008, 11:54   #8
Senior - BHPian

To dry the seats completely without removing them from the car, try this proven technique:

1) Start the car, keep all windows closed
2) Turn on blower at full speed, put it to maximum temperature and turn AC on.
3) Let it run for about 10-15 minutes, and repeat after another 20-25 minutes or so, for as long as you can afford it or the things dry out

This means your car's cabin will be filled with hot & very dry air (AC ensures that you get dehumidified air, heater makes it hot as well) and thats the perfect combination for drying out thick cloths - car's apholstery.

You can actually see water droplets dripping to the floor under the bonnet - this is the condensed water which gets into the cabin air from the wet seats.

Last edited by clevermax : 22nd October 2008 at 11:58.
Old 22nd October 2008, 12:09   #9
Team-BHP Support

^^ or if you have a blower available in your vacuum cleaner use that.

But remember that you should not run it for more than 30 mins at a stretch.
Old 22nd October 2008, 12:36   #10

Thank you all for you suggestions. I will probably keep it outside with the windows rolled down for a day or so. I think the dampness is gone but the seats are really smelly. I smelled the carpet and they don't have the foul smell but the seats do. So I think all this odour is from the seats only. I had already taken the floor mats out and dried them at home. So they don't smell bad.

The other suggestion I got was to keep some baking soda in the car. I did that yesterday night and things seem to have gotten better. What I'd probably do now is remove the seats and give it a clean with some baking soda and have them dried at home.

I'll keep you updated on this and I hope I get relieved of this nauseating experience soon.
Old 22nd October 2008, 13:04   #11
Team-BHP Support

Use vacum cleaner first on seat, then park your car under sun with 1 inch gap in the windows. Drive around with generous use of AC, it will dehumidify fast.

Ensure you remove rubber mats (if you have) before you park the car outside or will not dry fast. Spray some (little only) of your fav body deo on the seat this will also help to an extent.
Old 22nd October 2008, 13:11   #12
Distinguished - BHPian

Have you seen what they do to "clean upholstery"? Please see one day, you will feel like killing somebody. So my friend Anandm78 - YOU PAID MONEY TO SPOIL YOUR CAR. Please don't pay money to spoil your car, it is your money. If you remember this, you will save a lot of money and your car will still be clean only. Believe you me, I just happen to know.

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
Old 22nd October 2008, 13:48   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deky View Post
You could also try keeping a bar of soap in the car, it apperently soaks in all the bad odour.
Of course that works! In fact, that's exactly what i do everyday! Get up, brush and sit naked in my car with a bar of soap; fresh as a daisy n smelling of lilacs. Save loads of water too!
Old 22nd October 2008, 13:51   #14

Quote:
So my friend Anandm78 - YOU PAID MONEY TO SPOIL YOUR CAR. Please don't pay money to spoil your car, it is your money. If you remember this, you will save a lot of money and your car will still be clean only.
I think I have to agree with you.

I used to live in the US for a pretty long time and I used to do this "wet" upholstery cleaning every year along with interior detailing. The seats used to be damp and will dry out in a day or two with windows half open. After this all that will remain in the car will be some pretty refreshing perfume which will also go away in a month or so. So it was with good intentions that I signed up for this cleaning routine.

I am pretty disappointed with what these guys did to my car. They probably used filthy water or what not. I guess this is the last time I'm doing any upholstery cleaning. I paid 900 bucks to do this and spent another 500 bucks or so (to buy crap like ambipur) to undo the damage and it is still not done.

If this still doesn't go away, I am just going to rip the seats off, dry them, remove the fabric and go for leather upholstery from Stanley. I was going to do this anyway but I will hasten this.

I think I had a pretty bad day last Saturday.

Thank you all for your posts. If not anything, it at least gives me lots of emotional support. Thanks again.
anandm78 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks