Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th November 2008, 13:57   #1
BHPian

Modifications for Bolero Sportz 2004

Hi all,

I own a Bolero Sportz 2004. Have done around 62,000 kms. Am very satisfied with the overall performance till date.
Need advice on some modifications that i would like to make to the vehicle.

1. Change from stock rims and tires to Alloys and tubeless. Is it possible to upsize too without affecting the handling and other dynamics of the vehicle.

2. Increase the ground clearance of the vehicle?

3. Replace the leaf spring set up and get semi independent Torsion-bar system, if not the completely independent multi-link type?

4. And lastly, something, if possible will probably make me a very happy man. Can I install the Crde engine in the present model, with whatever changes are required, without making any changes on the external appearance of the vehicle? Will it affect the handling of the car? What about the registration for the new engine?

Are these modifications possible and if so, is there anyone who can do it for me in Mumbai?

Would appreciate feedback.

Regards
BolBolero
(Gautam)
Old 26th November 2008, 17:27   #2
GTO
Team-BHP Support

How about some pictures of your Bolero, BolBolero? I wasn't aware of its availability in '04. What are the specs?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BolBolero View Post
1. Change from stock rims and tires to Alloys and tubeless. Is it possible to upsize too without affecting the handling and other dynamics of the vehicle.

2. Increase the ground clearance of the vehicle?
You could go for an upsize that increases the handling capability as well as gives you marginally more ground clearance. What is your stock size? That'll help us in making recommendations. Mahindra brings out so many special editions that it's tough to keep track. Generally, Jeeps work best on a 215 - 235 patch (dependent on chassis) on either 15" or 16" wheels.

Quote:
3. Replace the leaf spring set up and get semi independent Torsion-bar system, if not the completely independent multi-link type?
Don't venture anywhere near there. I don't know of any independent garage that has the capability to carry out such a complex transformation. You will, in all probability, lose the robustness that you bought the Jeep for in the first place.

Quote:
Can I install the Crde engine in the present model, with whatever changes are required,
You could, but the cost would run well over 2.0 - 2.5 lakh rupees. Worth it? Nope, I don't think so. I am sure that you treasure the reliability of your stock setup. We could show you ways to improve the standard performance, though admittedly, not in the range of a CRDi. Are you running the 2.5 XD3P mated to a 5 speed box? Does your Bolero have a 4x4 tranny?
Old 26th November 2008, 17:46   #3
Senior - BHPian

Well I believe the sportz version was there in 2004. It was priced lower than the GLX and came with a fancy sticker job with sportz written on it. Well i feel some of the features like remote key entry and cassete player were not present.
Old 26th November 2008, 21:48   #4
Senior - BHPian

try there for inspiration to convert/modify your bolero!
Old 26th November 2008, 22:44   #5
BHPian

Well, nothing enhances the look better than a set of good alloys and a set of meaty tyres.

Have a deko....

Modifications for Bolero Sportz 2004-brute.jpg

But yeah, to put in 16 inch wheels and big tyres, and still ride with out them touching your vehicles fenders, that would take some slight modifications. A spacer may be, the official jeep(xp)erts can help you out here.
Old 26th November 2008, 22:48   #6
BHPian

Thanks guys,

Lovely pictures Parm. Seen the black Bolero on road and loved it. Any idea where one can get that sort of customisation done?

Maddy you are right about the keyless entry and the lack of a cassette player. It also did'nt have power windows. Got that and a CD player installed.

GTO thanks for the info. You are right about not spending that kind of moolah for the CRdi. Yes i do have the 2.5 XD3P - 5 speed gear box, but a 2WD. And yes i love its performance. Would'nt mind tweaking it to make it better. Alloys and tyres i will be changing into soon. Present stock 215 / 75 R 15, Radial.

Guys i will try to post some pictures of my Bolero Sportz as soon as possible.
Old 26th November 2008, 23:45   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

Yeah -just upgrade the wheels and tyres and leave it at that. Specifically dont touch the mechancals.
Old 27th November 2008, 03:56   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

The black bolero camper in the picture above is a 4x2. They don't offer the 4x4 with IFS.
Old 27th November 2008, 13:17   #9
BHPian

Had gone to alibhai premji, mahim (thats where i get my balancing and alignment done). He suggested Aura F11665 (16" x 6.5") alloys, shod with Michelin LTX A/T. 235/70 R 16. Do you think they will perform well without affecting the handling?

As promised some photos of my Bolero Sportz.
Attached Thumbnails
Modifications for Bolero Sportz 2004-karjat2006_0617002.jpg  

Modifications for Bolero Sportz 2004-karjat2006_0617003.jpg  

Modifications for Bolero Sportz 2004-karjat2006_0617004.jpg  

Modifications for Bolero Sportz 2004-karjatsamircam0065.jpg  

Old 27th November 2008, 19:05   #10
Senior - BHPian

Arre Gautam she looks smashing man ! Are the pics taken at Karjat ?
Old 28th November 2008, 17:06   #11
Distinguished - BHPian

Hello Gautam - Anil met me yesterday and told me about you. The best thing for you would be to buy the Bolero VLX. It comes with the 2.5 CRDe and delivers @ 100 bhp. It is available only in 2WD though. For any additional information, please PM me or call me on my mobile. Ravi has my number.

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
Old 28th November 2008, 18:11   #12
BHPian

Hello Behram,

Thank you very much for your reply. Much appreciated. I know the new Bolero crde sounds just about right for my kind of driving, but frankly speaking I won't be able to spend that kind of money right now.
What I plan to do instead is change into alloys and new set of tyres, some cosmetic changes, i.e. replacing the seat covers, etc. Have to replace the side wheel arch surrounds.
Engine wise I am very much satisfied cause I have the 2.5 XD3P, delivering a decent 75bhp. A quick question, is it possible to tweak it a little to deliver more power? As far as the changes to the suspension goes, I have been advised by the Gurus here, that it is a strict NO! And I will abide by that.
I would love to have a chat with you some time soon regarding the Bolero and Jeeps in general.

Regards
Gautam.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks