Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th December 2008, 21:42   #1
Senior - BHPian

Vertical Doors, The Myth and The Truth

Vertical Doors, A MOD which has been my fancy and occupied the top of my wishlist. But whenever I have tried to look for them or even tried to use some on my friends car's I have always been dis-appointed.

I have always been told one thing, If you drive your car daily You should not them get them as they need to be aligned every week.

Now I wanna ask the MOD Gurus, Viper,Arush,Blueraven who may have fitted them on some cars, How true is this??

Are there any reasonably good kits?? Some Car specific kits etc. Could you please throw some light on this,
Old 15th December 2008, 21:59   #2
BHPian

hey m4ugr8, vertical doors are a hassle if you are going to use your car daily. they are a pain to get in and out of. and a friend of mine who was not used to them pushed it down quite hard and it bent. so had to get them removed. anyway putting up pictures of the doors on my car. they were taken during a test fit. will search for the video and some fully working pics.

but my advice, dont go for them. just not worth the money. and the novelty wears off after a few days.
Attached Thumbnails
Vertical Doors, The Myth and The Truth-sp_a0257.jpg  

Vertical Doors, The Myth and The Truth-sp_a0258.jpg  

Old 15th December 2008, 22:08   #3
BHPian

yes, even arush ji told me some time back about the alignment issue.
Old 15th December 2008, 22:18   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Vertical Doors, A MOD which has been my fancy and occupied the top of my wishlist.
Ditto.!

Sadly most of the kits available here are not worth the effort.
Old 15th December 2008, 22:21   #5
Senior - BHPian

Even I'd say they are a waste of money, a couple of guys here have it, and its nothing but a headache to ge in/ out and even ****ting the door is a chore! The novelty wears off pretty soon, and u'll be soon waiting to get back to the normal doors!!
Old 15th December 2008, 22:43   #6
Senior - BHPian

A known person got his esteem modded from 3KD design mumbai,his lambo dorr's didn't even survived for 1week,driver side shocks dosent work properly,the dorr is darn heavy to lift and dosent open fully so the owner needs to bend his posture to go inside,if anyone might have seen a florecent green esteem with a whacky body-kit its the same

"How about Suicide doors they look quite cool"

Last edited by ramie2400 : 15th December 2008 at 22:44.
Old 15th December 2008, 22:51   #7

Of course Suicide doors look cool!! No wonder old Fiat 1100s Had them!! ...Sorry Coudnt resist!!
Old 16th December 2008, 01:00   #8

Infractions: 0/1 (10)

Personally i find the vertical doors as "Trying too hard to get attention".
There are lot of things you can do with taht kind of money to make your car aesthetically appealing.
@m4ugr8:boy,ever heard of lowering springs!!
And change your rims :P

The kits that i have seen usually have to be handled very delicately.You have to lower the doors,align them and then shut them.Total waste of money in my opinion.
Old 16th December 2008, 01:12   #9
Senior - BHPian

I have personally experienced a civic with vertical doors. Used to drive it for 2 months. ( cousins)

Damn , I would never get it done after my experience.
Have seen one in skoda too. The door is so heavy, feels like a pile of bricks you have to lift.
Old 16th December 2008, 02:31   #10
BHPian

Manan save money and buy a lambo later.

Its kind of pointless,Vertical door's are tempting i know.But they bring in a lot of issue's,Even spending a huge amount on a good kit does no good for the indian conditions.

One good kit that i had seen last year was from NTF design's.But dont know how to get more info on them.
Old 16th December 2008, 11:36   #11
Senior - BHPian

I have used even the best of vertical door kits from around the world, but ill just summairze it one sentence: Good to look at, awful to use.

On a personal note i always discourage people from going in for vertical doors and spend that money on more viable mods, but if they are willing to compromise on the hassles for the looks they get, they're more than welcome to go for it.
Old 16th December 2008, 18:28   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellspawn View Post
Personally i find the vertical doors as "Trying too hard to get attention".
There are lot of things you can do with taht kind of money to make your car aesthetically appealing.
@m4ugr8:boy,ever heard of lowering springs!!
And change your rims :P

The kits that i have seen usually have to be handled very delicately.You have to lower the doors,align them and then shut them.Total waste of money in my opinion.
The Civic is A head ache to drive due to the low ground clearance, I have added to the problem by getting side skirts which further reduce that. And after lowering springs I think I will need a new car

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhinav.gupta88 View Post
I have personally experienced a civic with vertical doors. Used to drive it for 2 months. ( cousins)

Damn , I would never get it done after my experience.
Have seen one in skoda too. The door is so heavy, feels like a pile of bricks you have to lift.
Hmmmm, I think I should drop this idea.

Quote:
Originally Posted by noidaboy View Post
Manan save money and buy a lambo later.

Its kind of pointless,Vertical door's are tempting i know.But they bring in a lot of issue's,Even spending a huge amount on a good kit does no good for the indian conditions.

One good kit that i had seen last year was from NTF design's.But dont know how to get more info on them.
The NTF Swift at Auto Expo 2008, That had issues with closing of the door, I told him to close it , It was not aligned, same problem was with the GLITZ black Civic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by autopsyche View Post
I have used even the best of vertical door kits from around the world, but ill just summairze it one sentence: Good to look at, awful to use.

On a personal note i always discourage people from going in for vertical doors and spend that money on more viable mods, but if they are willing to compromise on the hassles for the looks they get, they're more than welcome to go for it.
I think Arush had said it all, Thanks for all the replies guys, Cant do it on this car Maybe some other car some other time. cheers:
Old 16th December 2008, 18:52   #13
Senior - BHPian

Yup some other lambo some time soon eh?
Old 16th December 2008, 19:27   #14
Senior - BHPian

One question always struck's me,our hatchback car's Boot is also Lambo door style why don't they get loose/dis aligned so easily even after bashing them so hard to close it..I assume they use much stronger shocks or the pivot point and support's are bolted at proper direction to lift the weight of the Boot.

If the said issue are solved then we also can install the lambo door for daily usage
Old 16th December 2008, 19:30   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by m4ugr8 View Post
The Civic is A head ache to drive due to the low ground clearance, I have added to the problem by getting side skirts which further reduce that. And after lowering springs I think I will need a new car
If your car is that low , why not some titanium drag blocks

Last edited by greenhorn : 16th December 2008 at 19:32.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks