Team-BHP - Sparks from the exhaust
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Modifications & Accessories (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modifications-accessories/)
-   -   Sparks from the exhaust (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modifications-accessories/51873-sparks-exhaust.html)

Hi.... This is regarding my dad's Mercedes Benz 300D. It was standing in the garage as usual last month (during the torrential rains) and the exhaust was partially under water for the better part of 2 days. I had cleaned it thoroughly and started it. To its credit, it started without a hitch and was spewing out black water from the exhaust for a few seconds.

Later on that evening, I took it out for a short trip. I was stopped by a motorcyclist, who brought to my attention that the exhaust was spewing sparks. I came home with the car and parked it again. I asked some of my friends if they have experienced something similar, to which they replied in the negative.

Can you suggest what might be the problem..?

Seems strange. Never heard. There is some other thread somewhere about sparks coming from engine and then the owner is conned. Ask a trusted person to follow behind and then drive and see if sparks still come from exhaust. If so, get it checked or else have good night's sleep...:)

Quote:

Originally Posted by sunsetorange (Post 1126491)
Hi.... This is regarding my dad's Mercedes Benz 300D. It was standing in the garage as usual last month (during the torrential rains) and the exhaust was partially under water for the better part of 2 days. I had cleaned it thoroughly and started it. To its credit, it started without a hitch and was spewing out black water from the exhaust for a few seconds.

Later on that evening, I took it out for a short trip. I was stopped by a motorcyclist, who brought to my attention that the exhaust was spewing sparks. I came home with the car and parked it again. I asked some of my friends if they have experienced something similar, to which they replied in the negative.

Can you suggest what might be the problem..?

change spark plugs & see

Quote:

Originally Posted by chiragh_bir (Post 1127021)
change spark plugs & see

What do sparks from the exhaust have to do with spark plugs.

I think this was one of the those scam type situations which GD sir has mentioned.

Firstly I thought spark cars are coming :)
It happened once with my bike and when I went to the service center they said some oil has come along with the water and since exhaust becomes very hot so whenever oils is thrown out with water it catches fire due to heat. He said it will go in 5 10 KM ride otherwise he asked me to remove the exhaust etc. I preferred the 1st option and it was not throwing sparks after 6 7 KM I guess as no one complaint about it on road.

Correct me if I am wrong but 300D was a Diesel so no scope for Spark Plugs :)

Did that Motorist suggest you to help out?

Could be a con guy like GD said

Quote:

Originally Posted by aka_iitd (Post 1127027)
Firstly I thought spark cars are coming :)
It happened once with my bike and when I went to the service center they said some oil has come along with the water and since exhaust becomes very hot so whenever oils is thrown out with water it catches fire due to heat. He said it will go in 5 10 KM ride otherwise he asked me to remove the exhaust etc. I preferred the 1st option and it was not throwing sparks after 6 7 KM I guess as no one complaint about it on road.

Which bike was this?? If it was a 4 stroker, no oil should be coming out of the exhaust. Even if it was a 2 stroker, no 2t oil should have a flash point so low that it will burn like that in the exhaust.

Never saw any sparking exhaust, yet!

Please hope and pray that it was this that happened

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/street...et-fooled.html

Quote:

Originally Posted by Raccoon (Post 1127152)
Which bike was this?? If it was a 4 stroker, no oil should be coming out of the exhaust. Even if it was a 2 stroker, no 2t oil should have a flash point so low that it will burn like that in the exhaust.

Never saw any sparking exhaust, yet!

It was a 2 stroke and the exhaust pipe was oily. The reason was given by the the service guy(local workshop). I never saw sparks coming out. It was pointed out by some person on road.

Benz 300d with spark plugs?:Shockked: Must be a new technology that I'm not aware off.

Never listened to mother when she used to rant about getting general knowledge..:Frustrati

Quote:

Originally Posted by chiragh_bir (Post 1127021)
change spark plugs & see

Chiragh, no offence meant though...

Couldn't it be the cats coming apart?

If the car has been idle for long, It must be due to Carbon flaking and burning. Just accelerate and see if any deposits are coming out of the exhaust.

Seen it happens on bikes running real rich.
My friend installed a free flow on his RE 500.
The sparks were a sight to see.

Most commonly seen this on TVS 50.

On a Merc. Now that would be very interesting. :)

oops that's a diesel vehicle.. my bad :)

I have seen sparks / fire coming out of diesel engines due to:-

1. Bad timing.
2. Fuel pump requiring overhaul.

<for ashok leyland 370 engine>
On one occasion, I found that the "key" between the pulley driving the pump and the shaft on which the pulley is kept had corroded, resulting in the pulley rotating freely, without causing the pump to work in tandem. This was messing up the timing, and the engine "died" after spewing out fire. The "key" cost a mere 5 rupees, and we were back to work after 2 hours taking out the pump, and putting in the new key.