View Poll Results: what engine option
75 hp stock 4 28.57%
150 hp imported 10 71.43%
Voters: 14. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 21st April 2005, 20:57   #1
BHPian

what mods for astra?

hi guys as some of you people know i have a 97 opel astra 2nd edition with a 75 hp stock engine and a k&n filter. need your suggestions and votes on certain aspects of my car.
i plan on modifying my car slowly till the level where my financial health allows me to. they would be mostly engine mods.
what i would like to know is should i do it on my current 75 hp engine or should i try importing a 2nd hand astra engine with stock power of around 150 hp from the U.K after 2 years and then start modifying that engine.
also if i should modify my current engine has anyone modded this engine and to what level should i go on modding this engine.
thanks guys.
Old 21st April 2005, 21:23   #2
BHPian

IMO, the 150 bhp astra engine would give you all the benefits of high power, with reliability and you won't need to tweak too much or buy and work on many other things.

But the gurus here can advise better!
Old 21st April 2005, 22:26   #3
BANNED

hey..dude..one of my friend is gettin his astra done at chameleon..in bangalore..seems like he's spending around 75k..i dont know exactly if its on performance or exterior..stuff..i ll get to know soon..
Old 22nd April 2005, 04:09   #4
Senior - BHPian

Hey adil,
As you are from Mumbai itself,let me just divert your attention to this certain Astra which has been here for a long long time.Its greyish-silver in color,Evo-ish bumpers,hood and even has a weird Evo-ish kind of spoiler,which actually looks huge.
The car looks too masculine.Under the hood,its got a ported and polished head,K&N,free flow exhaust,plugs,wires and even MSD ignition.Im not too sure whether this car is Turbocharged or not!!The performance work has been done by KS Motorsport.The car seems to throw out good amount of low-end and mid-range torque.

My point here is that if one can get these performance mods done here itself,its useless to go in for the 150hp engine,unless you are seriously thinking of racing at a higher level.The Astra is an elephant,its just too heavy.On top of it,the resale is bad,and the spares are not easily available either.So even if you get a new engine,searching for spares would be a taxing part.Spending that amount of money would solely give you personal satisfaction.
If i were you,i would've gone to the extremes with the present engine.Just my point of view.

X

Last edited by X-Machine : 22nd April 2005 at 04:11.
Old 22nd April 2005, 10:32   #5
BHPian

had spoken to ks about modding my astra. he refused saying he doenst do astra's. he says it doesnt give you the output for the amount of money you put into it. says he did rather mod a honda.
Old 22nd April 2005, 10:59   #6
Team-BHP Support

I would say stick with the present engine (unless you win the Airtel rally!!) and concentrate on developing the area's where the Astra excels in i.e. ride and handling. Work on your tyres (yes, I know you need to do that!) and suspension. Get those two aspects right and your car will run with the Honda's, even with that 25+hp disadvantage. Trust me, I've done it.

Then, work on the engine. But whatever you do to it, the existing engine is just never going to be a revv happy rocket. Porting and polishing will only smoothen out the power delivery and free up some torque. Outright power would not increase much. If you have a further 90K, consider going the whole distance and putting in a TC. Run maybe 3-5psi boost and you should get a great all round performer. Plus, it would be the ultimate sleeper!
Old 22nd April 2005, 11:37   #7
BANNED

If you really want a modded car, sell your Astra and buy a good used Lancer or City 1.5. The Lancer gives great handling, while the City is a rocket.

By modifying an Astra, you'll only bring it up to the same power as a stock Lancer or maybe City. Imagine what you could do if you bought one of those cars and then modified it.
Old 22nd April 2005, 13:06   #8
BHPian

@rtech: yup thats my aim make it the ultimate sleeper...who will ever think an astra...haha...and yeah i will be working on the tyres after about 5000 km..
@boomshiva: selling an astra is not part of the deal. the cost of the astra and decent mods will be equivalent to a stock honda or lancer. and then everyone mods a lancer or city. how many people do you know have modded an astra. its basically a personal satisfaction project that i wanna do. to see how far i can go with the astra.
Old 22nd April 2005, 14:08   #9
Senior - BHPian

I've seen some modded Astra's [blue/red/yellow] and they look good enough. Not sure if I have pics of them, I'll search and if I do find them I'll post them. Anyways, I think they are by DC. DC had also made a nice yellow Astra, had seen it long back in Auto India [1998-1999] I guess.
Old 22nd April 2005, 14:16   #10
Team-BHP Support

Those are external mods, he's talking performance.

I think this is the DC car you were talking about. It looked good at the time, 'cept for that huge wing.

Source: DC website

Last edited by Rtech : 22nd April 2005 at 14:25.
Old 22nd April 2005, 14:21   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtech
Those are external mods, he's talking performance.
I know, I was just saying that I seen these cars, nothing else.

About the engine, just my opinion, no real reason. I feel it'd be better to import a stock 150bhp engine from the UK and install it.
Old 22nd April 2005, 14:24   #12
BHPian

Gordon you talking abt this right, kit costed close to 2 lks from DC

how old are you 2 days ok rtech your pic didnt load for me the first time so placed it oops. its a touring kit for astra

Last edited by Vulken Auto : 22nd April 2005 at 14:29.
Old 22nd April 2005, 14:35   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtech
I think this is the DC car you were talking about. It looked good at the time, 'cept for that huge wing
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vulken Auto
Gordon you talking abt this right, kit costed close to 2 lks from DC
Yes thats the one, liked it a lot then. There is an maroon Astra in my area that has the same spoiler. Looks decent and not overdone or bad. Liked the wheels and the kit. He also had a modded yellow TATA Estate, which was very well done with fogs on top n all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vulken Auto
how old are you 2 days
didn't get you.
Old 22nd April 2005, 14:37   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon
didn't get you.
I thought you were born on 20 april..
Old 22nd April 2005, 15:01   #15
BHPian

a project that will give a lot of personal satisfaction

i would recommend picking up a Vauxhaul/Opel engine from the breakers anywhere in europe(germany/UK/Poland) . you could also pick up important spares at the same time . chances are that shipping to india might cost more than the engine itself .

a stock unstrained engine produceing 150 bhp is any day better than an original 75bhp engine producing 100+ bhp .

u could also try getting a holden engine from australia !!!!

as far as external mods are concerned it's upto your taste . personally i feel it is very hard to improve the astra's looks . All DC's design does is make the car stand out and look like a shopping trolley . it also looks too much like a boy racer ...........

i think the astra is a good choice for a personal project ... something thats not been done in before in india to my knowledge ...

and "X-Machine" wasnt it on this forum that i read an elephant can run faster than a human ... migh be mistaken

Last edited by Mad Monkey : 22nd April 2005 at 15:05.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks