Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th January 2009, 17:22   #1
Distinguished - BHPian

Relocating the Handbrake. Possible?

Hi,

I have a OHC type 2 (1.5exi).

What i want to do (and wonder if it is possible) is to move the location of the current handbrake to another area. Either shift it from the centre to the side (slightly off center) or have a knob like thing found in other cars below the dash or something? Is it possible?

This will help free up a lot of space between the front seats and then i can get a console fabricated for holding my ipod, phone, cup holders (absent in OHC), or elongate the center box/armrest.

Am attaching a picture as a guide (not my car.. just used a pic of an AT OHC for reference).
Attached Images

Old 29th January 2009, 00:27   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

So many views and not one reply.... baaaadddddddd!
Old 29th January 2009, 01:01   #3
Team-BHP Support

First off all technically its possible. What exactly is a handbrake. Its a lever that pulls a cable which in turn pulls your brake drums.
Simple mechanics.
But simplicity ends here
1. See that hump in the center, thats where your cables run. first of all you need to get some pully system or something, and then you will either have brake cable hanging lower than your vehicle, or you have to raise floor somehow so that the hump is elsewhere.
Its doable, but too much of a task. Moreover, where will you put the handbrake. Its better to use the space in front of the handbrake for your console needs/
Old 29th January 2009, 08:12   #4
BHPian

You should look into getting some sort of motor or solenoid that pulls and releases this cable for you.

After installing that (underneath the current hand-brake), all you need is a long wire and you can put a button/knob anywhere you want in the car... even on the steering wheel if you want!

On a practical level, I think it would be very difficult to modify your hand-brake.
Old 29th January 2009, 08:32   #5
BANNED

Hi,

Its very easy to do the same. You need to purchase a aftermarket hydraulic handbrake(imoprt) which can be installed vertically or horizontally.

Viper
Old 30th January 2009, 14:52   #6
BHPian

Hi Tejas,
Practically it is possible. Vehicles like the Tata Ace have got 2 separate cables for each wheel, which unite at a junction. The hand brake lever actually pulls this union. Probably you should take a look at such an option. Still you will have to perform some welding operations and paint them. If you are up to it, then its ok.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks