Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories

Search this Thread
Old 13th March 2009, 01:13   #16
BHPian

i have been searching up websites about different carbs people have tried on unos, well so far i have found nothing. i hear the mikuni carbs in the marutis were good, dunno if that would work on the uno though.

i would like to understand why you would recommend it though?
Old 13th March 2009, 01:47   #17
Senior - BHPian

Only because they made millions of those right in India for various Marutis like the 1000, Zen carb and 1.1 liter 4pot F10d all of which are in the same cc range. should be plenty availbe for cheap in gujlis and also parts in any nook and corner.

Its known to be a good carb, but find out how hard the conversion is and if anyone's done it.
Old 13th March 2009, 09:41   #18
BHPian

@Mpower: Will try to run the Mikuni theory with my mechanic. He's quite well versed with the Weber carb though.... Is the Mikuni better than the Weber? If yes, what are the benefits?

@sharanramesh: Had a talk with Mr. Singh, he said to give him a call Sunday Morning around 9, andif he's in town, he'll meet. Also, since Mr.Prabhakar will be doing the entire engine opening and stuff, only the heads go to Mr.Singh. Rest of the work is going to be done by Mr.Prabhakar. So Mr.Singh says that as long Mr.Prabhakar can re-assemble the setup, all he needs are the heads. Let me know your plans.
Old 13th March 2009, 18:53   #19
Senior - BHPian

Mikuni is better because most models don't have a stupid electric choke. Also, its easier to find jets and emulsion tubes for a mikuni than for a weber.
Old 13th March 2009, 21:23   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prateekswarup View Post
So Mr.Singh says that as long Mr.Prabhakar can re-assemble the setup, all he needs are the heads. Let me know your plans.
Does he work on the head without removing cams and valves? Ask how much he's machining the head and how many points the compression will increase.

If you have a knocking problem already, then you need to keep an eye on these numbers.
Old 13th March 2009, 23:14   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpower View Post
Does he work on the head without removing cams and valves? Ask how much he's machining the head and how many points the compression will increase.

If you have a knocking problem already, then you need to keep an eye on these numbers.
Make sure you take a video camera along when you ask those questions. His reactions are guaranteed to be hilarious.
Old 14th March 2009, 18:56   #22
Senior - BHPian

ya, he might whack you in the head with a spanner, be careful !!

But jokes apart, I'm convinced its the compression and not the grooves that makes the differernce. The grooving is opposite to porting in theory. One is removing roughness and the other is adding it.
Old 14th March 2009, 19:18   #23
BHPian

Quote:
i hear the mikuni carbs in the marutis were good, dunno if that would work on the uno though.
Can i have more details on this? Do you still get them?
Old 1st April 2009, 14:52   #24
BHPian

Do you still get what the mikuni or the webers?

the mikuni surely are available in plenty in india. But the webber 32tlf can be really hard to source.
Old 24th April 2009, 11:35   #25
BHPian

Finally took the plunge!

Hi Guys,

I finally got my 1.0 FIRE petrol Uno grooved from Mr. Somender Singh. It's been a week since I last got the car and have been testing it since then.

Few immediate points to note:

1. The engine has become very rev-happy. I mean, the ease with which it accelerates and reaches 80kmph is amazing.

2. Low end torque is still the same but only for about 0.5 of a second. I don't have a tachometer but from what I can gather, from very low revs, the car picks up really fast after coming to about 1000rpm. So initial 0.5 second lag when one presses the accelerator and it zooms.

3. The best part - With the A/C on, the drive-ability is amazing! I mean, earlier, with the Sanden OEM A/C unit, the car used to really struggle and whine loudly with the A/C on. On red lights, one could not have the A/C on unless one was revving the accelerator. With the current setup, the A/C is comfortably functioning in neutral and pulls very cleanly from the stop in 1st gear. This is a dramatic improvement over the earlier setup. The overall pickup, top speed with the A/C has increased. Earlier I used to get scared pushing the car to 80kmph with the A/C on (because of the high whine), but now, I have already touched a 100knmh and I feel it can go a lot more.

4. Also did an emission test and found out that reading are lower than earlier. I shall post a detailed analysis of this after this weekend.

5. Engine knocking and shudder has been greatly reduced. I mean, one can really pick up from 20kmph on 5th gear with any engine knocking and shudder. Of course, it does not accelerate very quickly, but it does power up linearly to higher speeds.

I am still trying to get the best setting for the throttle and leanness of
the carburettor. Mr.Prabhakar (the garage owner) changed some settings yesterday and today I will be taking a drive to Bangalore to test the reliability and drive-ability of the car. Will be back this weekend and will have another session at the garage to iron out the quirks.

Brief summary of the work done:
Porting and polishing of the intake/exhaust valves. Grooving of the cylinder heads. New set of value rings fitted. Some work with the cam (I don;t know the details).

This is still a work in progress but i sure had a ****-eating grin on my face when I drove it the first time after the mods. I shall try to answer any queries regarding the above and will post more details after this weekend.

Overall, as of now, I am quite satisfied with the running of the car and it is behaving exactly how I want it to. (Touchwood!)

Sorry for the long post. Thanks!
Old 24th April 2009, 11:43   #26
Senior - BHPian

Recently I test drove an UNO and experianced the same lag with A/C.Infact a low revs the engine was stalling and the owner was asking me to stop the A/C and run the car.I felt weird.Now it explains.
But what amazes is,it was 1.7 litre engine,while yours is a 1.0 engine.drastic difference.
Old 24th April 2009, 11:54   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hillram View Post
Recently I test drove an UNO and experianced the same lag with A/C.Infact a low revs the engine was stalling and the owner was asking me to stop the A/C and run the car.I felt weird.Now it explains.
But what amazes is,it was 1.7 litre engine,while yours is a 1.0 engine.drastic difference.
I was fortunate enough to meet the ex-area sales manager for FIAT (south) a couple of days back. He was in charge when the Uno was launched. According to him, the Sanden unit fitted in the Unos requires a far better engine as it is quite a heavy unit.

Even I am surprised that the 1.7D is also having problems. In UK, the 1.4 and the 1.2 report no issues as such but then I'm not sure what A/C unit they are running.

Btw, anybody knows the bhp of the 1.7 diesel? the 1.0 FIRE is 45bhp.
Old 24th April 2009, 14:40   #28

So what did it cost to get the heads grooved? And would he be open to doing other cylinder heads too?
If you have any pictures of the heads with the grooves, can you put them up please?
Old 26th April 2009, 21:19   #29
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Porting and polishing of the intake/exhaust valves. Grooving of the cylinder heads. New set of value rings fitted. Some work with the cam (I don;t know the details).
Did you get new piston rings? can we have details on the cam?
Old 27th April 2009, 11:10   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Hi Guys,
today I will be taking a drive to Bangalore to test the reliability and drive-ability of the car. Will be back this weekend and will have another session at the garage to iron out the quirks.
any update regarding your drive to bangalore,

Most Viewed