Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th March 2009, 14:20   #1
BHPian

How to make Old Zen's A/c more effective ?

hey guys! a lot has been written about the modifications being done to a zen does anyone have a problem with the airconditioning not being too effective? Though i love my 1.3 zen but come summers i begin to wonder whether it makes sense to retain this car. The a/c is very ineffective. i would appreciate if someone could help.
Old 6th March 2009, 14:46   #2
Senior - BHPian

Praneet even I have onserved that the ac in Zen is not as effective as an Alto. I think you should try to see if the plant from Alto could be used in the Zen, that should help.

Lets see if some one has already done anything.
Old 6th March 2009, 15:05   #3
Senior - BHPian

Is yours a e-zen ?

@Techno... putting in a Alto AC would make very little difference for a whole lot of trouble & expense. The AC systems in both are vastly different using different refrigerants. I would suggest getting a after market compressor like National or Superking.
Old 6th March 2009, 15:07   #4
Senior - BHPian

Oh Ok I thought it would be a relatively easy job. As for the difference it should be substantial because there is a noticeable difference in both car's ac with similar area to cool.

p.s. his is a 1.3 zen but not e-zen
Old 6th March 2009, 15:16   #5
Senior - BHPian

Its is not bad either,get your AC serviced

in 4.5 yrs of ownership of Zen i have naver faced any problem with AC,its always been chilling.

Got it serviced last year though and paid around 1100 Rs.
Old 6th March 2009, 15:32   #6
Senior - BHPian

I also had a Apr 1999 Zen that was sold off in May 2004. Initially the AC was quite effective (though Santro had a better one even then), but after 4 years, lost its cooling. Had it cleaned in summer of 2003 (for perhaps less than 1K) and it again became quite effective.
Old 6th March 2009, 15:38   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technocrat View Post
p.s. his is a 1.3 zen but not e-zen
Don't tell me he has plonked the Ikon 1.3 into it. Or is it a S(Swift)-Zen ?
Old 6th March 2009, 16:19   #8
BHPian

I didn't understand the 1.3 Zen? I only know Zen - the old and the new. And then came the Eestillo.

Praneet do you have front windshield sunfilm installed? And for the rest of the windows which sunfilm do you have? One trick that works is once a week the heat exchanger should be cleaned with water on gentle pressure from hose. Washes away the dust which reduces the efficiency of heat exchanger. This can be done by aiming water from the front grill and the air dam under it.

Get your aircon serviced as suggested by simply_sunny. Also keep the vents pointed towards your nose. That where a human being's temp sensors are located. :-)

Finally, let me tell you, the aircon just brings down the car temp by around 10 degree celcius (max) from the ambient temp. So in 44 degree celcius burning hot summers, there is not much the little aircon can do to make you feel cool.
Old 6th March 2009, 16:44   #9
BHPian

Zen's A/C plant is not as powerful as todays cars.. If u paln to have the car for a few more years try changing it as suggested by esteem_lover.

Else have your A/c checked for the drive belts, refrigrant level and the temperature of cold air. If the temperature is right then you try having sunfilm in the car which would help around 3-5%. If the blowing air temperature is not in the recommended range, not good news.. changing the unit is the only way.
Old 7th March 2009, 16:00   #10
BHPian

Hey guys, thanks for all the input. i did get the a/c serviced though it has improved but still isnt quite effective.

Simply sunny any recommendation of the place to get it serviced?

Esteem lover.. its a zen engine bored to 1.3 and does not run an esteem engine therefore, not a e-zen. What would be the cost of an after market compressor incase, i need to change it?

Appreciate your help
Old 7th March 2009, 17:22   #11
Senior - BHPian

outlandish idea!!!! why not get the blower of an esteem and get the compressor off a a baleno from your local chor bazaar ? that way you can get them cheap ! but the only question is, whether the esteem blower and baleno compressor fit in the zen's bay?
Old 7th March 2009, 18:55   #12
Senior - BHPian

Get the cooling coil of Wagon R for your Zen.
Old 8th March 2009, 00:31   #13
BHPian

kp.... would changing the cooling coil help? If it does will it be a straight mount or do i need to get some modifications done? Secondly, would the changing of coils be a better alternative to changing the compressor? Also please let me know the estimated expense.
Old 23rd September 2009, 11:33   #14
BHPian

praneet,
did you come out with any solution? Is your AC back to its glory days?

kpzen,
Any replies to praneet's queries?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks