Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th March 2009, 21:45   #1
BHPian

Attaching a trailer/trolley to Pajero

I have a pajero and I a intrested in attaching a Trailer/Trolley to it. I intend to use it for my Farm purpose. I remember having one for our old Jeep and I think it got sold. What are the RTO formalties for attaching a trailer? Are there any shops in Hyderabad which deal in selling of trailers?

Last edited by Rehaan : 9th March 2009 at 04:48. Reason: Please use spaces after punctuation marks to ease readability.
D.V.R is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th March 2009, 22:39   #2
Senior - BHPian

Try searching for tailer in the 4x4 subforum I am sure someone bought one for their Jeep. I think it was mentioned that you needed to register it. However I have never seen a regsitered trailer in Haryana or Punjab. No one bothers getting them registered.

You could mod (if there is any height difference in the hook) a jeep one to work with a Pajero or I guess the other option is to get one made from a place that makes tractor trailers.

Last edited by bigman : 8th March 2009 at 22:41.
Old 4th May 2009, 19:58   #3
Senior - BHPian

Hey, You need to register the trailer as part of your vehicle hence get it endorsed in the RC book of your Pajero.

If you get hold of good RTO you can get your trailer registered separately hence the trailer could be towed with any vehicle.

I bought a trailer and same has been discussed in 4X4 section
Old 15th May 2010, 04:08   #4
BHPian

Car Trailer - Choices or options

I am planning on fabricating a car trailer just to haul cars with my xenon like the ones in the pics and drawings posted, but what are the procedures in getting them registered or what are the formalities, will it be better to self fabricate or get it done from some trailer manufacturer.
kindly help me out on these queries.
Thank you
Attached Thumbnails
Attaching a trailer/trolley to Pajero-car-trailer-plans.jpg  

Attaching a trailer/trolley to Pajero-trailer46_5.jpg  

Attaching a trailer/trolley to Pajero-car-trailer-drawing.jpg  

Attached Images

Last edited by memo45_m : 15th May 2010 at 04:12.
memo45_m is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th May 2010, 16:36   #5
Team-BHP Support

Two more related threads (Motorbike trailers) :

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modifi...r-carrier.html

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motorb...e-trailer.html

cya
R
Rehaan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th November 2020, 16:12   #6

Re: Car Trailer - Choices or options

Quote:
Originally Posted by memo45_m View Post
I am planning on fabricating a car trailer just to haul cars with my xenon like the ones in the pics and drawings posted, but what are the procedures in getting them registered or what are the formalities, will it be better to self fabricate or get it done from some trailer manufacturer.
Thank you

I have been reading up on trailers now that I have the time and more importantly the internet connection to research it.

I have a Xenon XT 4x4 Ex. Since I have an Army background, I was able to fabricate a towing attachment and fix it to ladder chasis of the Xenon. I was able to procure an old army surplus trailer and have been using it for the last 3 years. I drove it down from Kolkata to Srinagar and then again from Srinagar to Chandigarh and back a few times.

I went through your design of the trailer. I wanted to know if you have fabricated it? After having done about 5000 kms with the Trailer I have, I had a few points. The trailer should ideally not be wider than your car, coz it causes issues with driving on the roads. I have a 6 foot bed trailer and with the towing arrangement, it comes to about 10-12 feet.

That in itself is quite difficult to handle in city traffic. The Xenon is adequately powered to pull the trailer as I have driven over the really broken roads and trails in J&K.

If you are interested, I would like to discuss this with you in more detail. I am looking to develop a caravan kind of camping trailer.

Regards
Rosewarrior_101
rosewarrior_101 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th January 2021, 23:21   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosewarrior_101 View Post

If you are interested, I would like to discuss this with you in more detail. I am looking to develop a caravan kind of camping trailer.

Regards
Rosewarrior_101
I could not PM you so replying here. Yes, I am very much intrested in Caravan kind of camping trailer: I am also doing my homework to build a 6 feet x11 feet tandem axle camping trailer with surge breaks for Mahindra Thar 2020.
Great if we can be in touch.
Old 28th January 2021, 23:40   #8
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertKing View Post
I am also doing my homework to build a 6 feet x11 feet tandem axle camping trailer with surge breaks for Mahindra Thar 2020.
Can the 2020 Thar tow? Previous gen did not have the chassis cross member to attach a tow hook. Didn't think the new one had it.

Cheers
Old 29th January 2021, 01:16   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by memo45_m View Post
Thank you
I was told that in India registering a trailer to haul cars is not allowed as per motor vehicle laws. Please let me know if you find out more about this. Thanks.
Old 30th January 2021, 11:15   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertKing View Post
I could not PM you so replying here. Yes, I am very much intrested in Caravan kind of camping trailer: I am also doing my homework to build a 6 feet x11 feet tandem axle camping trailer with surge breaks for Mahindra Thar 2020.

Thank you for the reply. Where are you based out of? May be we could discuss this on a call or on whatsapp?? My mail id is arvind4er at hotmail dot com. please do mail me and lets compare notes.
Old 3rd March 2021, 21:07   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by M00M View Post
I was told that in India registering a trailer to haul cars is not allowed as per motor vehicle laws. Please let me know if you find out more about this. Thanks.
Saw this interesting video about a self made trailer. Looks well engineered.
Material cost were around 90k.
Also, as per the guy in the video, you only need to have the vehicle registration duplicated on the trailer as well for it to be legal. This is applicable apparently within Punjab and Himachal (he wasn't clear about Delhi).
Maybe you could make enquiries to see if this is how it works where you intend to use it as well.

stewie is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th December 2021, 13:08   #12

Re: Attaching a trailer/trolley to Pajero

I have started the project to start to convert an old army one-tonne two-wheeled trailer into an adventure camper type of trailer similar to the intech flyer which would be towed by my TATA Xenon XT 4x4.

I will be starting a separate thread once the initial work starts.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks