Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th March 2009, 12:03   #1
BHPian

Converting Tata Sierra Turbo to current emission standards

I need suggestions for converting my 1997-Dec model Sierra Turbo to meet the stricter emission standards being planned next year (BS 4/ Euro 4?).

The car has had engine overhaul, done 33K kms since and I have changed/repaired all components except gearbox and differential. All four suspensions are on Bilsteins shock absorbers (has been the costliest single part of all repairs) and therfore please do not suggest that I change the engine and GB rightaway.

This is my fourth car and had decided to keep the car as long as I could and is also my daily commute car. All of us in the family including our Bullmastiff travel to Kerala from Bangalore every quarter.

The same 483 DL engine in a Tata TL and Sumo Victa are BS 3 compliant. Therefore I feel it should not be too difficult and expensive to convert my Sierra Turbo to meet BS 3, atleast.

Please let me know how I can achieve this - parts that need to change, cost, etc.

I look forward to valuable suggestions by esteemed members.

Warm regards,
Viju
Attached Thumbnails
Converting Tata Sierra Turbo to current emission standards-nightparking.jpg  

Old 14th March 2009, 12:27   #2
Senior - BHPian

why do you want to convert it to match euro standards? i agree its a good gesture on your behalf but you will end up spending a lot of cash on it. what is the primary reason that you want to change to euro IV?
Old 14th March 2009, 12:39   #3
BHPian

The primary reason to convert to new norms is to meet regulations. If I remember correctly, it was mentioned in papers a few weeks ago that even older vehicles will have to comply with newer standards for emissions going forward.

The other is of course to reduce pollution that I cause to the environment. I feel guilty when I have to rev hard and there are 2 WH riders behind me in city traffic.
Old 14th March 2009, 15:19   #4
GTO
Team-BHP Support

I don't think it affects cars already on the road. But if it does, then simply register your Sierra to the RTO of a smaller town where Bharat Stage IV is not enforced.
Old 14th March 2009, 15:27   #5
Senior - BHPian

In 2012, your sierra will need to undergo a Fitness certification which will include an smoke analyser test.
You will need to overhaul your sierra's Fuel Injection pump,then. Until then, keep it as it is.
Old 14th March 2009, 22:44   #6
BHPian

GTO - my car is already Bangalore registered, was KL, got it re-registered in KA 2years back by paying high amout of tax.

nitrous - is it going to be only FIP that would need an overhaul? please clarify.
Old 16th March 2009, 16:58   #7
BANNED

Don't worry too much since you've already changed to KA regn. The dumb cops at BLR are only interested in that.

Sometimes they will create problems when you are going to re-register your vehicle after 15 years.
Old 16th March 2009, 22:09   #8
BHPian

mithun - you are absolutely right about BLR cops and RTO staff. They expect me to pay almost the same amount of tax as one would have to pay for a new vehicle for my 12yr old vehicle is another story.

But I really want to reduce emissions of my car, that's why I need BHPians help!
Old 18th March 2009, 13:32   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vijuvarghese View Post
The same 483 DL engine in a Tata TL and Sumo Victa are BS 3 compliant. Therefore I feel it should not be too difficult and expensive to convert my Sierra Turbo to meet BS 3, atleast.

Please let me know how I can achieve this - parts that need to change, cost, etc.

I look forward to valuable suggestions by esteemed members.

Warm regards,
Viju
Other than overhauling the engine, cleaning / replacing fuel pump and injectors;installating the following should help you out reducing the emission norms. EGR (Exhaust Gas recirculation) device + controller; Glow-plug timer controller, Replacing the catalytic converter, and may be particulate filter (if you could find one). The EGR device helps you reduce the NO contents in the exhaust. An urea-injector is a topic being commonly talked about for Euro-4/5. The thing is you wont find one in India, and even with urea injection you would need a CRDI system for more accurate control of emissions.
In my opinion BS-3 is the best you could achive with the existing engine. Have you got a turbo in your Sierra??
Old 22nd March 2009, 00:02   #10
BHPian

ilangop,
Thanks for the suggestions. My Sierra has the original KKK turbo unit. I just got it serviced it. Would need a replacemement shortly.

Which EGR is suitable for Sierra Turbo? Will it need too much of a modification?

Do you have any idea if Tata 483 DL Turbo engines in TL and Sumo Victa is already having this?

Awaiting your reply.
Old 30th March 2009, 16:50   #11
BHPian

Will check and let you know in a day or two

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks