Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th March 2009, 12:41   #1
BHPian

Help needed in readying my 72,000 km old Zen LXi to be given to my Dad

Hi Folks,

I have a Zen LXi (new look Zen) bought in 2004 Jan. It has completed 72,000 km. 4 Months back I bought myself a new Dzire ZDi. I will be giving my Zen to my dad who has two 800s in Jaipur. I will be driving down from Mumbai to Jaipur to deliver the car.

Before giving the car to him, I want to ready the car such that he get a feel of well maintained (read new) car. I have got the car serviced always at Spectra Motors in Borivali so I have the histoy of service. What all things should be getting checked or replaced when I get the car ready for drive to Jaipur.

I can think of the following things:

1. Servicing the power windows. No, they haven't malfunctioned yet but I don't want them to do it as my dad get the car. Never got them serviced ever.
2. Getting a sun film on the front wind shield. I always had one, got the wind shield changed in last service as it had cracked, thanks to a flying pebble.
3. Interior cleaning.
4. Body polishing.
5. Wheel alignment and balancing.
6. The tyres are MRF zvts, changed at 47,000 km. Going good. Anything need to be done here?
7. Changed the oil and oil filter at 70,000 km service. Will not get it changed. Had switched to Castrol Magnetac.
8. Any other oil needs to be changed?
9. Brakes over haul.
10. Suspension check.
11. Shockers - check? repair? replace? I want my dad to have a smooth ride.
12. How do I get the gear stick feel like new? Not that it feels out of alignment, but that feel of new car!
13. Air filter change (depending on when was the last one changed)
14. Spark plugs - same as 13.

I know Maruti readies the cars for true value and extends a 1 year warranty on them. Can I get something like that on my Zen?

help!
Old 19th March 2009, 12:53   #2
Senior - BHPian

Some parts that have to replaced/repaired are(as you are presenting it to your dad)
1 Tyres - Get your tyres replaced as they have almost run 25K kms MRF ZVTS they are known for sliding when hard braking.
2 Suspension, as your car is almost nearing 80K mark, you definetely need to get your suspension overhauled / replaced. If you are replacing , then get Zen diesel shocks/struts at front & Gypsy shocks at back, this definetely will be a smooth ride
3. Get your brakes overhauled ( Brake pads & disc replaced).
4. Sttering column - Check for any rattle sound
5. Fluids - Powersteering , gearbox , brake fluid replace/topup
Old 19th March 2009, 13:02   #3
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
1. Servicing the power windows. No, they haven't malfunctioned yet but I don't want them to do it as my dad get the car. Never got them serviced ever.
Get it done if you are really keen on it. Else wait till it goes kaput.

Quote:
2. Getting a sun film on the front wind shield. I always had one, got the wind shield changed in last service as it had cracked, thanks to a flying pebble.
Cant comment on this, never tried it though.

Quote:
3. Interior cleaning.
4. Body polishing.
Again depends on the state of the interiors and the paint.

Quote:
6. The tyres are MRF zvts, changed at 47,000 km. Going good. Anything need to be done here?
Am sure these tires will last your dad another 20k. Do him justice and get a better set of tyres.

Quote:
7. Changed the oil and oil filter at 70,000 km service. Will not get it changed. Had switched to Castrol Magnetac.
9. Brakes over haul.
10. Suspension check.
11. Shockers - check? repair? replace? I want my dad to have a smooth ride.
Take it a to a MASS and get 'em checked. Lets not shoot in the dark, mileage logged takes its toll on all these parts.

Quote:
12. How do I get the gear stick feel like new? Not that it feels out of alignment, but that feel of new car!
13. Air filter change (depending on when was the last one changed)
14. Spark plugs - same as 13.
Once again on the wish list for your car since its suggested that you get them checked. Regarding the gear stick , the people at MASS should be able to fix it will require a minor check.

Quote:
I know Maruti readies the cars for true value and extends a 1 year warranty on them. Can I get something like that on my Zen?
Spend time and money wisely, take it to your local MASS and he should be able to fix up the car for a cheaper price.
Old 19th March 2009, 13:40   #4
BHPian

Thanks Rjstyles for the response. You are right about the power windows. Don't touch them till it goes bad. That's why I didn't get them serviced ever. I plan to spend minimum. Shouldn't cost me more than Rs 2000 is what my idea is (I have a free service coupon gifted by MASS).

Will get the tyres changed to tubeless when these ones wear out. Thanks again!
Old 19th March 2009, 14:13   #5
BHPian

My 2 cents:

Quote:
No, since it will reduce the visibility during night drive, its better to avoid!

How about new set of head light bulbs?

Cheers,
L&S

Last edited by lancer&shogun : 19th March 2009 at 14:17. Reason: quote!
Old 19th March 2009, 14:31   #6
Team-BHP Support

Maybe some help here:
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...checklist.html
Old 19th March 2009, 15:02   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancer&shogun View Post
My 2 cents:

No, since it will reduce the visibility during night drive, its better to avoid!

How about new set of head light bulbs?

Cheers,
L&S
Thanks L&S, I have been using front film for 4 years now and never faced a problem. The ones from Garware are clear. Regarding headlamps, my dad will use the car within city and the stock lamps are good enough for that. I had considered changing them after changing the ones for my Dzire.

Thanks Eddy for the link.

Can someone tell me a place to get the bumpers repaired in western suburbs in Mumbai? MASS doesn't repair. They just replace. And its expensive. I dont plan to spend so much on cosmetics.
Old 20th March 2009, 14:09   #8
BHPian

Anyone listening? I need some help on this one please.
Old 20th March 2009, 14:37   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dushmish View Post
Anyone listening? I need some help on this one please.
What exactly is the damge you have in your bumpers ? (front/back or both??)
I would suggest you to get the bumper replaced, they hardly cost 1.5K each
But painting might be an issue here. (2-3K atleast for both the bumpers)
Old 20th March 2009, 18:01   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sushrutha View Post
What exactly is the damge you have in your bumpers ? (front/back or both??)
I would suggest you to get the bumper replaced, they hardly cost 1.5K each
But painting might be an issue here. (2-3K atleast for both the bumpers)
The clips that hold the rear bumper on left side are broken. It stays put but a gap can be seen. In the front one the car had touched nose down in ditch so the left side of bumper got pressed and is a little out of shape.

Both are cosmetic issues. I don't intend to spend 5000 rupees on this. cheaper solutions are welcome.
Old 20th March 2009, 20:10   #11
BHPian

With regards the suspension i would certainly recommend replacing the shocks as they are past their capabilities post 70k km. Owning a zen myself have had to learn it the hard way when its underbody grounded a couple of times. Also check the springs for any excessive bounce.

Since you want to give your dad a trouble free time, give the car a wash service at the fuel pump. And if necessary do an underbody coating. (If you deem it necessary)

Get the bumpers heat mended from a good local workshop. Wont cost you that much. When my sister hit another car and the front bumper had a deformed spot which my mechanic bent it correctly by applying heat. Cost me Rs. 400. The clip holes can be reinforced with extra washers. This should hold the clips in place.

The gearshift can be smoothed if you can get the gearbox opened and the greased properly. Replace the washers and the bearings if necessary. Get the gear linkage from the gearbox to the shifter also checked for play.

Last edited by NOS Power : 20th March 2009 at 20:11.
Old 20th March 2009, 20:54   #12
BHPian

@ dushmish

"well maintained (read new) car." Why not give the Dzire ZDi

Getting down to the issue at hand.
(Answers in Bold)

1. Servicing the power windows.
Yes highly recommended.

2. Getting a sun film on the front wind shield.
I've seen this on my friend's car, not really required.

3. Interior cleaning.
4. Body polishing.
Even if its well maintained, highly recommended.

Ideally I'll do this, funny thing zvts in my zen lasted for 28k kms.
If thread depth is low, do replace.

7. Changed the oil and oil filter at 70,000 km service.
Nope.

9. Brakes over haul.
If car has been serviced regularly, there should be any problem here as pads/liners will be good. If brake feels spongy or less than perfect do get it checked. Also worth checking the brake booster (the black round thingy)

10. Suspension check.
11. Shockers - check? repair? replace?
Check, next action depends on the result. If used properly there should't be any problems.

There is a connection rod and bush set, if it feels bad check then and change if required (Zen has a good shift as we all know)

13. Air filter change.
If car has been serviced regularly, there should be any problem here

14. Spark plugs.
Again, If car has been serviced regularly, there should be any problem here.

Additional suggestions.

1. Check if all doors close with the "proper" sound and gaps are within limits also try to get rid of all the "rattles"
2. Wiper bladed.
3. Check water pump, fuel pump, all belts and stuff.
4. New seat cover + Mats + good perfume.
5. Clean A/C blower and top-up gas if required.
6. Steering is ok any rattles here ?
7. All tools in place ?

That's all I can think of.
Old 8th April 2009, 20:05   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOS Power View Post
With regards the suspension i would certainly recommend replacing the shocks as they are past their capabilities post 70k km. Owning a zen myself have had to learn it the hard way when its underbody grounded a couple of times. Also check the springs for any excessive bounce.

Since you want to give your dad a trouble free time, give the car a wash service at the fuel pump. And if necessary do an underbody coating. (If you deem it necessary)

Get the bumpers heat mended from a good local workshop. Wont cost you that much. When my sister hit another car and the front bumper had a deformed spot which my mechanic bent it correctly by applying heat. Cost me Rs. 400. The clip holes can be reinforced with extra washers. This should hold the clips in place.

The gearshift can be smoothed if you can get the gearbox opened and the greased properly. Replace the washers and the bearings if necessary. Get the gear linkage from the gearbox to the shifter also checked for play.
NOS Power, I owning a Zen Lxi Dec. 2005. So far no underbody coating done. What is your advise. Do I have to apply a coat as a pre-monsoon care?
Old 8th April 2009, 23:26   #14
BHPian

@dushmish - My 2 Pence.. For most of ur Queries our always helpful members have given you the idea. Since you wanted to give your Dad a Smooth Ride, I would suggest one more thing get all the Rubber Parts & Bushes Checked/Replaced. Like Steering Bush, Suspension Bushes, Bed Bushes & etc.. I had got these changed on my M800 & yes there was a lot of difference after that much much smoother ride. Ur Dad would really like that New Feeling & dont Invest much on the cosmetics.

Also check all the Wheel Bearings.
Howz the lighting 60/55 or 100/90?
All Door Rubber's
Check/Replace all Belts (Fan, Pulley) & hoses

Cheers!!!
Old 9th April 2009, 09:36   #15

i own a zen 2002 lxi, have done around 90k.

Struts were way beyond their age, so got both of them replaced (MASS said, I should have done earlier ). so i suggest u to get them checked.

Sun film on wind shield is a BIG NO, though I got one on mine

As someone said get 90/100 lights, they really do work wonders.

keeping rain in mind, you can get a nice pair of bosch wipers.

You can also get rattling rectified (if any) for a silent drive.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks